QD wheel spindles.

Old November 23rd 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default QD wheel spindles.

"John D. Slocomb" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:06:45 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
. ..
"Ian Field" considered Thu, 20 Nov
2014 20:05:04 -0000 the perfect time to write:

Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Why not just drop the front wheel out when you lock it up, and thread
it on the locking up chain where it will fit, next to the back wheel?

I've seen plenty of bikes locked up that way, without any apparent
problems.

Too lazy - also involves unhooking the front brake cable so the blocks
clear
the tyre.

I get grease on my hands often enough fixing things that go wrong.

Get another locking cable/chain and lock the frame and wheels together
and then the whole package to the lamp post. Cable locks are cheap. Or
a length of chain and another padlock.

Or spray paint the bike with various colors. I had a mate that did
that figuring that no one would steal anything that looked "that bad",
and nobody did but whether that validates his theory I'm not sure :-)

The bike was scrounged on Freecycle a few years ago, I have spent money on
it - but generally as little as I can get away with.

From time to time I get comments while locking it outside the supermarket;
"the chains worth more than the bike isn't it?".

As yet, I have other spare wheels - so I can put off using the QR ones
untill there's no other choice.

A regular wheelnut is a loose fit on the QR axle - a QR cone wont fit the
regular axle.

Since a regular cone will go on the QR axle, I can spin one down the thread
and see whether it fits with the bearing.

Old November 24th 14, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:01:14 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
"John D. Slocomb" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:06:45 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From time to time I get comments while locking it outside the supermarket;
"the chains worth more than the bike isn't it?".

As yet, I have other spare wheels - so I can put off using the QR ones
untill there's no other choice.

A regular wheelnut is a loose fit on the QR axle - a QR cone wont fit the
regular axle.

Since a regular cone will go on the QR axle, I can spin one down the thread
and see whether it fits with the bearing.

If the fit 8is "loose" you're very likely to have trouble keeping the cones adjusted properly.

Why not take the axle to a shop or co-op and get one with the proper threading for the switch over?

Cheers
Old November 24th 14, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/VNtMmX
Old November 24th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gnaw....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900001/overview/

measured a plug gap yesterday, first eyeball a platinum plug at 50000 miles

.142"

super for those bad days when all rond objects are oblongs
unless yawl forget to zero the device.
always keep spare batts. Batts will die in Lost Horse. silicone parts

Old November 24th 14, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:04:54 PM UTC-8, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have ...QR... spindles.
FIFY
My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from a
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Regulated as Standards? you have to be kidding

the concept is more like common practice within a individual corporate history,
But changeable over time without repercussions from anyone.
there us NO regulating international authority.
Old November 24th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/24/2014 10:46 AM, Zarniwoop wrote:
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:04:54 PM UTC-8, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have ...QR... spindles.
FIFY
My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from a
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Regulated as Standards? you have to be kidding

the concept is more like common practice within a individual corporate history,
But changeable over time without repercussions from anyone.
there us NO regulating international authority.

Which is a Good Thing.
Yes, we have 8, 9, 9.5, 10mm axles with 1.0, 0.9 and f26
threads and several cone/cup shapes. This may be complex[1],
but I assure you much less oppressive than surviving under
the boot of regulation:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7...ly-restrictive

http://www.idfpr.com/PROFS/Info/HairB.asp

see also Uber and the coming demise of TheInterWebs when we
suffer 'Net Neutrality' (aka "shakedown of the industry").

[1] I omitted coaster brake, internal gear, tandem and
through-axle formats

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 24th 14, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:01:14 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
"John D. Slocomb" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:06:45 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From time to time I get comments while locking it outside the
supermarket;
"the chains worth more than the bike isn't it?".

As yet, I have other spare wheels - so I can put off using the QR ones
untill there's no other choice.

A regular wheelnut is a loose fit on the QR axle - a QR cone wont fit the
regular axle.

Since a regular cone will go on the QR axle, I can spin one down the
thread
and see whether it fits with the bearing.

If the fit 8is "loose" you're very likely to have trouble keeping the
cones adjusted properly.

Do try to pay attention!!!!!

The fact that a regular cone can be run down the thread of a QR axle, allows
me to check its fit to the bearing.

The whole point of the exercise is to fit a regular axle that's right for
the cones I'm checking out.

Old November 24th 14, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 24, 2014 11:46:45 AM UTC-5, Zarniwoop wrote:
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:04:54 PM UTC-8, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have ...QR... spindles.
FIFY
My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from a
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Regulated as Standards? you have to be kidding

the concept is more like common practice within a individual corporate history,
But changeable over time without repercussions from anyone.
there us NO regulating international authority.

gnaw...Japanese agreed long timepassing...I'll look later.
Old November 24th 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I passed on 'worn down electrode' over 50000 miles.The electrode/grnd show no'wear' as I would see wear on a common ferrous ended plug.

The ground's receiving end is a wee little dish formed from the usual wire out of body and after 50 it's stilla wee little unmarked dish taking the heat.

Old November 24th 14, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

local noise sez the local dealer sports 3 Neanderthals bt no Nazis as the Irishmen over there are all Jews.