Best Bicycle Gifts

Old December 12th 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Best Bicycle Gifts

So, what would be good (and relatively cheap) gifts for cyclists? Not a major gift -- something more than a stocking stuffer, though. This is when I could kick myself for not buying some cheap jerseys at the Castelli warehouse sale.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 12th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
So, what would be good (and relatively cheap) gifts for cyclists? Not a
major gift -- something more than a stocking stuffer, though. This is
when I could kick myself for not buying some cheap jerseys at the Castelli warehouse sale.

Define relatively cheap. Maybe a nice compact multitool gizmo? Hard to
say. If it's for someone already riding then maybe something that's going
to need replacing like tires or bar tape since they likely have the basics.

Gift certificate at the LBS always works.

--
duane
Old December 12th 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/OikZ1K
Old December 12th 14, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:23:20 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
So, what would be good (and relatively cheap) gifts for cyclists? Not a major gift -- something more than a stocking stuffer, though. This is when I could kick myself for not buying some cheap jerseys at the Castelli warehouse sale.

-- Jay Beattie.

Depends what they've got now, and how they ride. But I suppose a classic
cycling cap might be the equivalent of the generic Dad's necktie.
One size fits most, it has some usefulness, and it checks off the "I gave
him/her something" box. I like mine quite a lot.

Blinkie taillights are useful. You don't have to be r.b.tech picky about them.

A bike bell can be either practical or whimsical or a joke. Maybe all three.

How about a decent book on how to ride in traffic? I'd recommend
_Cyclecraft_ by John Franklin.

Or there's this:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetyS...nkNFred017.htm

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 14, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/RD44XM

Old December 12th 14, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/RD44XM

http://goo.gl/SeNAwT

Old December 12th 14, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

not to high jack your subject but related stuff..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior_SS100

http://goo.gl/RD44XM

http://goo.gl/SeNAwT

the accident story I knew b4 was TE was at 80 mph, a woman driving a negative rear vision sedan forced TE off the road onto a grass verge with a ditch...

but last I looked, story of Richard Farina's BMW accident was off course..

WikiMod

yawl could send Wiki $5 for Christmass

Old December 12th 14, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/11/2014 8:23 PM, jbeattie wrote:
So, what would be good (and relatively cheap) gifts for cyclists? Not a major gift -- something more than a stocking stuffer, though. This is when I could kick myself for not buying some cheap jerseys at the Castelli warehouse sale.

-- Jay Beattie.

Our longstanding advice is 'don't buy hardware as a gift'.
Sox, clothing, consumables (oil, bar tape, tubes, cleaner,
food etc)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 12th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

now who finds this box of chrome vanadium allen and hex head 6mm's under the BB ?

Old December 12th 14, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

now who finds this box of chrome vanadium allen and hex head 6mm's under the BB ?

after years of grinding my teeth post insertion...bought a box of graded FULL THREADED 1/4/20x1.5" from McMaster Carr laid atop the fine toothed hacksaw blades
with nuts...cashews