Why do pedestrians

Old July 4th 16, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Why do pedestrians

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.
Old July 4th 16, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

Old July 4th 16, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Jester wrote:
Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra
crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra
crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful
not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way
junction from a vehicle users point of view.

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be ignored when
stood at a zebra crossing.
It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum cyclist will
never understand.

Old July 4th 16, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 4 July 2016 17:37:20 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

I don't wave at all as it is akin to thanking a driver for not running me over when I have right of way.

Old July 4th 16, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

'At some point you’ll almost certainly have seen someone walking across
a road and then breaking into a little theatrical gallop when a car
approaches. Is this the act of someone running for their lives? No. If
it was, they’d suddenly sprint. It’s the act of someone who’s been
conditioned to believe that motor vehicles and the people within them
must be allowed to proceed with minimal disruption. ....'
http://beyondthekerb.org.uk/2015/10/02/we-do-not-negotiate-with-terrorists/

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old July 4th 16, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:46:49 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

By doing so you are implying the driver has done you a favour, that is my point.
You are saying that you can only use the roads because motorists allow you to do so.

We need to get away from this 'the roads are for cars' mentality.
Old July 4th 16, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:53:16 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be ignored when
stood at a zebra crossing.

Thank you for proving my point.

It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum cyclist will
never understand.

How childish.

Old July 4th 16, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:53:16 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be
ignored when stood at a zebra crossing.

Thank you for proving my point.

You did not have a point.

It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum
cyclist will never understand.

How childish.

Lack of denial noted.

Old July 4th 16, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 17:37:20 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra
crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra
crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful
not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

I don't wave at all as it is akin to thanking a driver for not
running me over when I have right of way.

Yet I presume that, as a driver, you will "wave" at a driver for letting you
out of a junction when the other driver has right of way?
What a two faced turd you are Mason. Typical cyclist.

Old July 4th 16, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:21:13 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:53:16 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be
ignored when stood at a zebra crossing.

Thank you for proving my point.

You did not have a point.

The point is you are stood at a zebra crossing waiting for permission from a motorist to cross.
You have priority and should not be in fear for your life for exercising that priority.

It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum
cyclist will never understand.

How childish.

Lack of denial noted.

I deny you have more right to use the roads than me.