Bike Blocs on Sunday (UFPJ) and Tuesday (A31) [BNC]

Old August 28th 04, 08:43 PM
TIME'S UP! (via Jym Dyer)

Default Bike Blocs on Sunday (UFPJ) and Tuesday (A31) [BNC]

[Also Posted to ebikes]

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/di...5307/index.php

Bike protests. Join us in the streets of Manhattan to
celebrate a different vision of our city and public space.

When: Sunday, August 29th, 11:00am
Whe Union Square Park South
(14th St near Broadway)

A bike action in solidarity with UFPJ march:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/
Meet earlier to discuss plans for our first Bike Bloc.

The Bike Bloc will reconvene at 3:45 pm on the steps of the
Main Public Library, 5th Ave between 41st and 42nd. Gather
together following the UFPJ march.

When: Tuesday, August 31st, 4:00pm
Whe Union Square Park South

A bike action in solidarity with the A31 day of nonviolent
direct action:
http://www.a31.org/

The Bike Bloc will reconvene at 6:00pm on the steps of the
Main Public Libary.

The Bike Blocs are the culmination of the Bike National
Convention:

http://www.times-up.org/bnc/index.php

This is a series of events organized or hosted by TIME'S
UP! to present NYC's communities and our environmentally
sustainable solutions.
Old August 29th 04, 04:52 AM
Kent, the dude

CONVENTION PROTESTERS PLOTTING TO SPEAK, ASSEMBLE
(AP 5 story 3473638 Aug-26-04)

Prepare for the Worst, Ashcroft Says

Attorney General John Ashcroft today revealed that the Justice Department
has credible intelligence that protesters at next week's Republican National
Convention are actively plotting to speak and assemble.

"These evildoers may speak or assemble without warning," Mr. Ashcroft told
reporters. "We are preparing for the worst."

To foil the protesters' plot to speak and assemble, the Attorney General
said that the Justice Department has established a special Anti-Speech and
Assembly Task Force in New York City.

"This task force has its ears to the ground on a twenty-four-hour basis,"
Mr. Ashcroft said. "If they get wind of a plot to speak or assemble, they
will pounce."

The Attorney General said that New York's Central Park would be off-limits
to protesters for the duration of the Convention, but said that space for
the protesters to speak and assemble was being reserved in Guantanamo Bay,
Cuba.

The Gitmo location was chosen, Mr. Ashcroft said, to facilitate military
tribunals for the protesters immediately after they are done speaking and
assembling.

Elsewhere, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Vice President Dick
Cheney was entitled to receive overtime pay as an emergency worker,
explaining, "Everything Dick Cheney touches turns into an emergency sooner
or later."

On the campaign trail, Mr. Cheney did not address the overtime issue but
reiterated his opposition to gay marriage, saying, "I'm sure as hell not
paying for one."

Finally, President Bush's daughters Barbara and Jenna cancelled their
convention speech scheduled for next Wednesday, citing a conflict with
Ladies' Night.

Old August 29th 04, 12:40 PM
Mitch Haley

"Kent, the dude" wrote:

CONVENTION PROTESTERS PLOTTING TO SPEAK, ASSEMBLE
(AP 5 story 3473638 Aug-26-04)

Prepare for the Worst, Ashcroft Says

Attorney General John Ashcroft today revealed that the Justice Department
has credible intelligence that protesters at next week's Republican National
Convention are actively plotting to speak and assemble.

"These evildoers may speak or assemble without warning," Mr. Ashcroft told
reporters. "We are preparing for the worst."

To foil the protesters' plot to speak and assemble, the Attorney General
said that the Justice Department has established a special Anti-Speech and
Assembly Task Force in New York City.

Just remember, the gov't is an equal opportunity offender, they had a guarded
and fenced-in area far away from the reporters & delegates at the Boston DNC
and called it a free speech zone. Any place within a block of the taxpayer
financed convention was not a free speech zone. Expect the same for the RNC in NY.
http://www.vulnwatch.org/misc/pics/free-speech-pen/

As Representative Paul said: "Modern political conventions are nothing more than
taxpayer-funded infomercials for the major parties."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul196.html

Mitch.

Old August 29th 04, 10:35 PM
Paul Cassel

Mitch Haley wrote:

Just remember, the gov't is an equal opportunity offender, they had a guarded
and fenced-in area far away from the reporters & delegates at the Boston DNC
and called it a free speech zone. Any place within a block of the taxpayer
financed convention was not a free speech zone. Expect the same for the RNC in NY.
http://www.vulnwatch.org/misc/pics/free-speech-pen/

As Representative Paul said: "Modern political conventions are nothing more than
taxpayer-funded infomercials for the major parties."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul196.html

yeah, but the left wing has pretty selective memory. Folks today make a
big deal out of Bush hecklers getting arrested, but clinton hecklers got
jail time too. As far as the conventions, I'd welcome some mayhem.
Makes for interesting conversation. A little revolution from time to
time is a good thing, but I don't see it happening. I would guess the
police have the entire place locked down tight.

Old August 31st 04, 12:02 PM
Robb Monn

My good friend was one of those arrested. He said that the group he
was in was riding west on 37th street between 6th and 7th Avenues. A
group of plainclothes cops on unmarked scooters overtook them on the
sidewalk and then blocked their way. A cop yelled for everyone to get
on the sidewalk and they did. Then a cop yelled for them to get off
the sidewalk and they did. At this point the unmarked scooter cops
surrounded them and they were zip-cuffed and arrested for Obstruction
of Government Administration, Reckless Endangerment and Disorderly
Conduct.

He was released about 32 hours later, his bike will not be returned to
him until his court date in mid-October. He claims (and I believe him)
that they had literally done nothing illegal up to that point.

Seems to me that the NYC cops were raring to use their new crowd
control scooters and looking for someone to lock up the day of the big
rally which was yeilding too few arrests. They were held in the
temporary detention center on the piers, fed very disgusting bologna
sandwiches for breakfast lunch and dinner and treated poorly in
general. He has minor wounds on his wrists from the zip-cuffs and is
hella ****ed about the whole affair.

Old August 31st 04, 03:06 PM
Jym Dyer

I hope you get your asses all locked up.

=v= You wished ill on peaceful people and you got your
wish. You must be very happy.

=v= Speaking of asses, the NYPD's are going to be sued.
Anyone out there who was arrested at the Bike Bloc, during
Critical Mass, or in the many random groundless arrests
that have been going on around here lately, send me some
email. We are putting together some lawsuits.
_Jym_