New bike or frameset build-up?

Old May 18th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default New bike or frameset build-up?

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:50:24 -0400, "Ken C. M."
wrote:

I again find myself wanting a true road bike.
So like the question in the subject asks, which should I do?
I have been riding and doing my own maintenance for a couple of years
now And think I could handle a build up.
So I guess the question is what is better an entry level road bike from
x-company? Or buying a frameset and getting to have more choice when it
comes to components?
There are lots of entry level bikes out there. And not so many options
when it comes to framesets.
This is one frame I have been looking at :
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Yeah I know its a mass produced asian frame, but then so won't an entry
level bike.

As others have stated, it's almost always more cost effective to buy a
complete bike. I've gone both ways. While most of my bikes have been
stripped down to the bare frame at one time or another, I've only
built one bike "from scratch". My LBS was able to order a "build kit"
which contained everything needed except a fork. The kit even included
a pair of Wheelsmith built wheels. For me it was pretty cost effective
since the LBS was sponsoring our race team and I got the kit at cost.

There's certainly a lot of satisfaction to be gained from building a
bike the way you want it. Buying individual components would elevate
the cost pretty significantly. You might ask about build kits at your
LBS.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old May 18th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

If a stock bike on sale gives you what you want, then buy that!

If you want to customize and be a smart shopper, then you can build a
good bike for not that much more.

--I bought my frames used. I would recommend finding a good frame that
has a fork. I had no desire to mess with the headsets etc...

Components--you can get for cheap if you are ok with 9-spd. 9-spd 105
components are on fire sale now and you can probably put it together
the whole group cheap ~under 400. Use the 10% off coupon at Performance
or Nashbar and you are saving a ton of money. Pay ~250 for a nice new
wheelset on sale, another 250 for a nice used frame, and with $1k you
have a fine bike customized for your desires.

For full retail Shimano items, I found that Alfred E. Bike was the best
place. It seemed to be 20-40% off list. If you took the trouble, then
you could price match at Jenson or Cambria etc. and get even more off.
I built up an Ultegra 10-spd bike this way.

I built up a Surly pacer commute/touring with every part I got on sale
(except for maybe the bar tape). Customized with 9spd ultegra shifters,
105 crank-fd-brakes, deore rd, cassette, Selle Italia seat, ritchey
aero wheelset etc. All under 1k including frame. One key to that was a
whopping 20% off coupon at Nashbar last summer and a Craigslist
purchase of a ~brand new Surly pacer (150 miles) frame for $200.

If you are patient and collect your parts on sale, then you can really
put together a good bike--better than stock for not that much more.

Toshi