Rear Shock: Big Rider == Big Shock?

Old January 18th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Rear Shock: Big Rider == Big Shock?

I weigh 210#+.

The Fox Float RC on my old Ellsworth has started making squishing
sounds for the second time in it's life. Since the first
rebuild, that bike has essentially been retired as a "loaner"
when my son-in-law comes over to ride. This winter, I
resurrected it as an ebike platform for cold weather use.

My recollection is that it didn't take all that long for the
first episode/rebuild by Fox and this time around it was
definitely not that long - as in 500 miles.... maybe *way*
less.

OTOH, my bread-and-butter FS - a Maverick design - has at least
10k on it with no shock failure. Having said that, the thing
will probably cough up it's guts and die tomorrow, but
here-and-now, it's takin' a lickin' and still tickin'.

So, bottom line, could there be a capacity issue here? Is maybe
the Fox Float RC not engineered for somebody of my weight?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 18th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

Fox Float RP23 is fitted on tandems, but that's a newer model than yours.

Rebuild after 500 miles sounds like it should have been a warranty job - was
it? What got replaced?

That said, you're at the heavy end and I guess the float RC is at the light
end - they do do stuff for the heavier end of the market, and that might be
more appropriate for you.

Old January 19th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Clive George:
Fox Float RP23 is fitted on tandems, but that's a newer model than yours.

Rebuild after 500 miles sounds like it should have been a warranty job - was
it? What got replaced?

That said, you're at the heavy end and I guess the float RC is at the light
end - they do do stuff for the heavier end of the market, and that might be
more appropriate for you.

For reasons lost in the mists of time, I've got a Romic "700 x
1.5" sitting in my parts drawer. Sure *looks* more substantial
than the Fox - if only bco the big coil spring around it.

I guess I'll look into getting the Fox rebuilt as a backup and
use the Romic.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 19th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcin J.

I weigh 210#+.

Usually 100kg is not a problem but just in case:
What's the suspension leverage? lev = rear wheel travel / shock stroke
How many psis do you pump it up?

The Fox Float RC on my old Ellsworth has started making squishing
sounds for the second time in it's life.

Where does the sound come from? Shock body or mounting hardware? I would try
the latest one - disassembly, clean and lube. Don't over tight the mounting
bolts. Also you can release all pressure and see if that influences the
sound.
If you decide to service - demand 400psi in the IFP chamber and "heavy duty"
mounting hardware (one piece stainless steel sleeve instead of hat-shaped
two piece alu). BTW what is the distance between left and right mounting
holes in your frame (swingarm, link)? Anything longer than about 40mm may
cause problems.

OTOH, my bread-and-butter FS - a Maverick design - has at least
10k on it with no shock failure.
Having said that, the thing
will probably cough up it's guts and die tomorrow,

I didn't say that but... basing on some epinions the disaster may not come
from the inside but outside - the external shell has to transfer side loads
and its weight as well as other components weight is reduced as much as
possible (well, so far).

So, bottom line, could there be a capacity issue here? Is maybe
the Fox Float RC not engineered for somebody of my weight?

If the shock is set up properly there should be no problem.

--
Cheers
marcin

Rear Shock ChainSmoker Mountain Biking 6 June 27th 06 02:12 PM
FS: RST-22 rear shock res09c5t Marketplace 0 October 27th 05 01:46 AM
Rear Shock [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 April 2nd 05 10:00 AM
FS: Shock spring for Manitou Swinger rear shock Todd Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 03:51 AM
BEST REAR SHOCK? tjarrow Mountain Biking 2 September 27th 04 11:45 PM