Disc Rotor Question

Old September 27th 04, 03:08 PM
Sscarich

Default Disc Rotor Question

I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers, but I
kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bike shop
mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used the Hope
rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specific to the
brand of the caliper.

The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think? I would
particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake with non-Hope
rotors and then changed over.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich
Old September 27th 04, 05:55 PM
S R Sharp

Sscarich wrote:
I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers, but I
kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bike shop
mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used the Hope
rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specific to the
brand of the caliper.

The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think? I would
particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake with non-Hope
rotors and then changed over.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich

I'm amazed you can even use the Hopes; the Coda rotors had odd diameters
(171mm and 15x mm?). What did you do with the rotors that came with the
Hopes? When I got my front Hope O2 a few years ago I was able to order
it with a 4-bolt rotor instead of 6 at no additional charge.

Old September 29th 04, 08:16 PM
Rocky

unless there is a huge (like 1 mm) difference in thickness, which I doubt
very much, it's total BS.

If the pads have metal under their entire area, you're fine.

rocky

Old October 2nd 04, 02:18 AM
Dan Burkhart

Sscarich Wrote:
I replaced the Coda calipers on my F3000 with Hope Calipers and levers
but I
kept the Coda rotors. The brakes seem fine, but I'm no expert (I am a
moderately agressive cross-country rider). The local disc expert/bik
shop
mechanic told me my brakes would be "much better" if I also used th
Hope
rotors. He said it is because the thickness of the rotor is specifi
to the
brand of the caliper.

The total change-over would cost $125 - $150. What do you think?
would
particularly be interested in those who have tried the Hope brake wit
non-Hope
rotors and then changed over.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich

Assuming you also have Coda hubs, I think you will find the bol
pattern of your Coda rotors will be incompatible with Hope, or an
other brand. The Codas will be a 4 bolt mount, everything else is 6
You will likely have to change hubs to convert to another rotor.
If your pads make full contact with the part of the rotor they ar
meant to, and there is adequate depth clearance of the rotor in th
caliper, and if they otherwise perform ok, I don't see the problem.
Da

--
Dan Burkhart