makeshift rim strip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 17th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default makeshift rim strip

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
landotter wrote:
On Apr 15, 1:04 pm, wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:15 am, landotter wrote:

On Apr 15, 9:38 am, Jerry wrote:
what to do if I'm out on my bike and the rim strip breaks?
I've read about using newspaper. Does that actually work (if I could
find
any)? What about using the old tube somehow, how do you get it to stay
in
place? (The thought just struck me of using the glue in the repair
kit, to
make a strip cut from an old tube into a continuous band.)
You'll find that patch cement is pretty worthless for sticking tube
material to tube material, even if you scuff it. It's one of life's
mysteries. Just cut the elastic band out of your underwear and fix
that wheel like a man!
By God, your right! I just checked the size on the label in my Jockeys
and it said "700c".
Time to lay off the gu!

Hmmm..., my underwear elastic length matches pretty well with a little
stretching with the front rim diameter on my bicycle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939602865/.

--

Tom,
Perhaps circumference? Or do you make the early Calista Flockhart look like

The two are a fixed ratio of each other of course, but rims and tires
are sized by diameter, not circumference.