Tubeless Rim Strip?

Old September 7th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

Default Tubeless Rim Strip?

Has anyone tried converting their unicycle to a 'tubeless setup'
(http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/go...tubeless.htm)?

-Pros
* Lower inflation pressures
* Better bump absorption
* Better control
* Reduced rotating weight
* No pinch-flats
Cons
* Costs more
* Messy sealant
* Backup tube required
* Power inflator required
-

--
BluntRM

“Condemn me, it does not matter, history will absolve me.”
BluntRM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12994

Old September 7th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

That would be cool to try, can you do it on any rim?

--
Evan Byrne
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old September 7th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vuniw

that sounds kind of weird.. id prefer to stick with a tube

--
vuniw

ehh i didnt make this up but it takes twice the man (or woman) to ride
half the bike and im sure everybody agrees

unicycle isnt a hobby, its a life style
vuniw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12772

Old September 7th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maxisback

dont ppl do this on cokers ?

--
maxisback

Hey ur mom is my signature
maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

Old September 7th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

Evan Byrne wrote:
That would be cool to try, can you do it on any rim?

It looks like there are specialized rim and tire sets, but any rim
could possibly be converted with a rim strip and some tire sealant.

Old September 7th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

maxisback wrote:
dont ppl do this on cokers ?

I think it is more common with larger tires.

Old September 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

BluntRM wrote:
I think it is more common with larger tires.

Larger meaning wider, or larger diameter?

Old September 7th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

Evan Byrne wrote:
Larger meaning wider, or larger diameter?

Both. I read that at least 2.1" on the tire is recommended and it seems
like bicyclists do this a lot for their 29er's.

Old September 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
stuckinwheeliemode

http://www.notubes.com/
they sell a kit to convertmost rims to tubeless

--
stuckinwheeliemode
stuckinwheeliemode's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11984

Old September 7th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

My understanding is that it's generally done for larger diameter tyres
that are used for muni and long distance. I read on a previous thread
that a tubeless trials wouldn't work: start doing drops and they'll
just spew sealant and go flat.

I'm considering getting a Stan's Notubes setup for my 36" - if you
e-mail Stan he can supply a 36er rim strip, as well as the more
"normal" sizes advertised on his website.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

leaking tubeless tire valve stem di Mountain Biking 2 May 1st 06 09:29 AM
Tubeless? Pete UK 8 April 6th 06 06:38 PM
Tubeless vs Tubed Tires mary General 6 April 19th 05 02:53 PM
Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching? Westie Mountain Biking 13 February 6th 04 01:21 PM
Tubeless Coker tyre idea TonyMelton Unicycling 13 December 4th 03 06:29 AM