Merlin Extralight 1999 Feeler

Old September 13th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

Default Merlin Extralight 1999 Feeler

Hey Lee,
I sure appreciate your input:

(a) These are more like the numbers I thought I could hope for.

(b) I am so with you in being sheerly delighted with the EL these
nearing-10-years I've had the bike. It's kind of amazing how the glide
of the ride doesn't seem to "get old" with the passing of time. And
yet... if you saw the space constraints of my studio apartment (as one
factor) you'd have a better idea. Still your suggestion to wait at
least til the other bike's in-hand is a prudent one.

My understanding is that Sevens are "infinitely tuneable" to
customer's request so if I presented them with my EL's precise
geometry and said "match the feel of this bike in every way possible"
they ought to be able to do that. Now of course I'll have to inform
myself on how the sloping top tube will change things (depending on
how much slope, etc).

BTW on gearing for the Seven my specific idea was to use a single
speed until the rumoured new, lighter Rohloff hub comes out (next
year? year after?).

Any case thanks so much for your advice which I'll be turning over.

Chris
Old September 13th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"icdb" wrote in message

My understanding is that Sevens are "infinitely tuneable" to
customer's request so if I presented them with my EL's precise
geometry and said "match the feel of this bike in every way possible"
they ought to be able to do that.

Err - they what do you gain from changing bikes?

Old September 13th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
icdb[_2_]

Err - they what do you gain from changing bikes?

They gain a new customer! As in, stimulating the economy without even
supporting blood for oil...

What do I gain? Please review the whole thread, where I've detailed
some points of my motivation.

Old September 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"icdb" wrote in message

Err - they what do you gain from changing bikes?

They gain a new customer! As in, stimulating the economy without even
supporting blood for oil...

What do I gain? Please review the whole thread, where I've detailed
some points of my motivation.

Look, I read what you wrote. What's more I have 8 bikes down in my garage
and parts to build another two or so.

But lately I've been riding three of the eight and realizing that the old
practice of having one good riding bike to keep forever and perhaps a rainy
day bike is not a bad idea.

I'm just attempting to remind you that changing a bike for no apparent
reason could leave you worse off and not better. Though for me I've learned
enough on each transaction to be able to eventually move up and not down.

Old September 13th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Sep 13, 2:19*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
I'm just attempting to remind you that changing a bike for no apparent
reason could leave you worse off and not better. Though for me I've learned
enough on each transaction to be able to eventually move up and not down

I agree with others that for your ROAD bike, you should keep your XL.
If you want a singlespeed/hub gear bike, I can think of alot of frames
better than a Seven. Don't get me wrong, for a ti ROAD bike, they
make an excellent product. However, I'm not sure about their other
offerings. Further, their ***"infinitely tuneable" to customer's
request*** stick is nothing more than marketing garble. Don't forget,
Seven is run by a bunch of MBAs who want you to believe they can do it
all. However, in reality, I've seen at least a 1/2 dozen or so Sevens
on the market and know people who buy used ones at ridiculously cheap
prices because the bike never lived up to its reputation.....Good Luck!