clipless pedals - do they increase "average butt pressure"?

Old July 27th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default clipless pedals - do they increase "average butt pressure"?

clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

wle
Old July 27th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

wrote in message
clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

As a matter of fact, I expect very little to change except how hard I pull
against the bars. It's a little known fact that racer saddles are hard as
rocks and malformed to discourage sitting. The proper use of the bars is to
hold the rider to the bike against his pedaling effort.

Old July 27th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

" wrote:

clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

I only pull up on the pedals when climbing (out of the saddle).

Art Harris
Old July 27th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 July, 16:18, " wrote:
clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

Not for someone cycling.

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

No. You don't have to pull up. You dont have to push down. Using
appropriate gears it is possible to relieve the downward pressure when
your pedal is at the rear of its cycle. The retention prevents your
foot from drifting off the pedal due to a bumpy road or square
pedalling. It is perhaps better to learn to pedal circles by using
soft rubber soles on platform pedals because improper technique is
obvious. Retained feet will mask the riders poor pedalling technique.
Old July 27th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sergio Moretti

On Jul 27, 10:18*am, " wrote:
clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

wle

Doubt it but don't know why it would matter.
Are you worried about less comfortable sitting?
Lifting up or occasionally standing helps with that.

Cheers,
Sergio Moretti
Old July 27th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 27, 9:13*pm, Sergio Moretti wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:18*am, " wrote:

clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

wle

Doubt it but don't know why it would matter.
Are you worried about less comfortable sitting?
Lifting up or occasionally standing helps with that.

Cheers,
Sergio Moretti

I find a sprung Brook saddle very comfortable, no worries about the
leather conforming closely to my butt, no desire to stand up rather
than to sit down. Mine is a B73 but those worried about the front
helical spring not giving maximum lateral location (I don't think
their concern is warranted) can choose a model without a front spring
or with a ring-type spring.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old July 27th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jul 28, 1:18*am, " wrote:
clipless pedals

do they increase "average butt pressure"?

since now you can pull as well as push the pedals, it would seem that
average butt pressure would have to go up..?

I'd guess you're right.

If you want to get the most out of your body and butt pressure is an
issue for you, I'd suggest cycling more often on a good racing style
saddle and with clipless pedals. It should only take a couple of
weeks for butt discomfort to dissipate and eventually all butt (oops)
disappear. And the benefits of clipless pedals are numerous. If you
doubt that a racing saddle and clipless pedals makes a comfortable
combination, how do you think the pro's survive 25-30,000km per
annum? Certainly not with butt anesthetic.

With regards to pushing and pulling, in fact with clipless pedals (or
cleats and toe straps - ugh), you can apply useful torque over most of
a pedal revolution. I often ride short distances with one foot
unclipped and not on the pedal so that I can train one leg at a time
to apply more even torque. Pedaling in circles puts less strain on
the rest of the body too.

JS.
Old July 28th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

James wrote:

:disappear. And the benefits of clipless pedals are numerous. If you

By far the biggest benefit of clipless pedals is that peple think they
have numerous benefits.

--
sig 2