Interbike 2018 Report

Old September 28th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Interbike 2018 Report

On 2018-09-28 08:43, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:18:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 3:17:49 PM UTC-7,

[...]

I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer
in the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home
feeling better than when I left.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are
much better than food.

If by "chemicals" you mean electrolytes and minerals, then yes.
Hammer Heed is a great beverage.

Alright, now we're talking!

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/...-is-turning-30

... I'll use a GU pack or Cliff Shot
on occasion to clear my head. I also eat regular food -- just not
meat and cheese sandwiches.

I hate stopping in the middle of a ride, sitting for a long time,
eating heavy food and then getting back on my bike for a long ride
home. I have to ride for miles before my stomach settles and my
legs start working again. I also like moving better than sitting.
Even on long rides, I take short-ish stops, eat carbs, often drink
coffee (because of my cohort) and save the meat sandwiches, beer,
etc. for when I get near home. YMMV.

-- Jay Beattie.

Yesterday I did 47 miles with 2200 feet of climbing, stopping right
in the middle of it for a half hour breakfast sandwich and coffee
break and got home 4 1/2 hours after I left. The return climb is
steeper and being later in the day had a 15 mph headwind. Now my
fitness is returning but I normally do this climb at 5 mph. Yesterday
I did almost the entire climb at 7 mph and when I returned home I was
hungry. So I don't think that energy bars would improve a thing.

Only 34mi for me yesterday, on account of a somewhat slow process at a
bank plus a libation stop at Heckle Ale House for a Czech Pilsener.

The climb back up home was more grueling than ever because of the
humidity. About 1200ft altitude difference with lots of ups and downs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 28th 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
Headed up there yesterday, for the day. It's now in Reno, so
from the Bay Area it's easier to drive than fly. The show has
shrunk considerably from its heyday. But they had a bike that
would probably be Jorge-Approved, and a light that might be
Frank-Approved, though those are very high bars. Grant
Peterson had several Jay-compatible models on display in the
Rivendell booth, but he didn't have an aluminum model with a
carbon-fiber fork, and disc brakes.

Rather than post the report here, I put it up on Google
Docs, including photos.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wAiw__UK7KkYw1CO2lbSIdy14p0LXdH8RpnVqneDv5k

Thanks. The growler bike looks classic but I don't plan on using E-bikes
until I am 85 or so.

Is the bottom left picture on page 1 depicting a whiskey flask?
The kind that John Wayne would throw his horse riding buddy
before a gun fight? That would make a bike ride quite
interesting. "No free beer" is ok as long as they sell good
microbrew at reasonable prices. Though the show would probably
not be too interesting for me because all this stuff trends too
much in the direction of E-bikes. I prefer muscle power.

As for the "ultimate new edible" I have yet to see any
bike-specific fare that I wouldn't want to spit out into the
sand. I even gave up on regular nut bars except for rides under
20mi. Too much sugar. Over 20mi I carry home-baked bread with
generous layers of cheese and sausage. The real bread, of
course, with the starter dough made from beer fermentation
residue (trub), bread dough kneaded using an electric power
drill and baked outdoors over manzanita fire.

For electrolyte I use simple Emergen-C powder. $10 makes dozens
of bottles. Since it tastes a bit medicinal we add freshly
squished lemon juice. Which is a byproduct in our household
because my wife makes her own Limoncello and the peeled lemons
are sort of left over. Nothing goes to waste here.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You know Joerg, you remind me of a good friend who is so set in
his ways that he won't even bother to investigate anything new.

I have investigated. Regarding food pretty much all the cyclist's
stuff including "astronaut pouches" that my sister uses.
Bleccchhhh. I've even gone away from the nut bars I used to like a
lot. Tastes too sugary by now and I am just not a fan of anything
sweet. I found that good old bread with cheese and cold cuts is way
better on bike rides.

What is "way better?"

The taste, the taste.

... Way better in tying up your digestive tract
with fat and protein? Taking sandwiches and beer on the Trail of
Terror is perfectly fine, but if you're riding tempo on a road bike
over hill and dell for hours, you'll want carbs.

We do that regularly, either on road bikes or for hours on a trail.
There is only one other rider who favors bread over the sugary stuff
though (but only if it's our trub bread) and he eats it with nothing but
almond butter.

... Bread cannot be
digested quickly and is not a good source of on-bike carbs. It's
great for picnic sandwiches, however -- if you like sandwiches. I'd
prefer some fried chicken and watermelon -- which we know you can
strap to your rack. Maybe some corn on the cob.

Ok, I don't have Tour de France ambitions. I just found it gives me a
feeling of not feeling hungry during the rest of the ride and the slow
release of energy hasn't been an issue. I know that a dextrose bomb
could give me Speedy Gonzales capabilities for a short time, it's just
that I don't like sweet stuff. I carry a couple tablets through in case
I come across a bike rider or hiker who has totally bonked (which has
happened).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi4czjB1No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFjqPoVc84

Seen too many other riders with tubeless who got stranded. Needless
to say they didn't carry a spare tube. Once I even had to cram my
29" spare tube into someones 26" MTB. At least that got him home..

That MTB video tells us nothing about the cause of the flat -- or if
anything would have prevented the flat short of solid tires. The
flat could have been caused by burping. Look how low he inflates the
tire with his hand pump.

Burping is the other problem with tubeless. Doesn't happen with tubes.

OTOH, the video from Cycling Weekly covers about every flat producing
hazard ordinarily encountered by a road cyclist -- nails, glasses,
tacks. I think the tack experiment produced far more punctures than
any roadie will see with goatheads, unless he or she goes overland
through the brambles.

Not quite. Goat's heads have longer thorns and they are also quite
conical, making the hole much wider than a thumbtack can. According to
Murphy's Law they are always positioned with the straight long thorn
pointing up.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...idum_seeds.jpg

I'm not running out to buy tubeless, but you cannot deny that the
demonstration was impressive -- and a demonstration as opposed to
dopes stranded on a trail somewhere who encountered unknown hazards
and flatted a tubeless tire. You can flat any tire, including your
tires with uber thick tubes and tire liners.

It was impressive. Same when I watched similar youtube videos from the
slime tube guys. I was impressed so I went out and bought some. Not
cheap. In the end that was a mistake because it's just a matter of time
until the slime can't handle it anymore. Of course, per Murphy's law my
time was up almost at the farthest end on the trail.

IMO there is nothing better than tire liner plus thick tubes. Except for
even thicker tubes.

Most people can't believe what I have under the MTB tires. Mr.Tuffy
brown tire liners stuffed inside slit second "regular" tubes of good
quality, then tubes with 0.160" or 4mm wall thickness. Flats in all
those years: None. So I did that for the road bike as well which also
dropped its number of flats to zero. Only thing is the chafing between
the tire liner and the thick tube. I'll have to slide the liner into a
thin tube first but it'll be diffiuclt to cram all that in.

The other upside is that I can now ride tires down to their last sliver
of tread.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have found that stopping for a REAL sandwich is FAR FAR better than pretending to be a Tour rider and eating chemically treated body waste from a camel.

I don't know what you're thinking of, but I'm eating relatively simple carbs from Cliff Bars, fig bars, fruit, etc. Bread and jam is fine, although I'm not a big bread fan. Cheese and meat are not great sources of carbohydrates and are hard to digest when the body is working.

I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer in the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home feeling better than when I left.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are much better than food.

If by "chemicals" you mean electrolytes and minerals, then yes. Hammer Heed is a great beverage. I'll use a GU pack or Cliff Shot on occasion to clear my head. I also eat regular food -- just not meat and cheese sandwiches.

[...]

Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200 feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max 20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz -- ate pizza, drank beer at a friend's house. Then I carried my bike up about an 1/8th mile of stairs and continued climbing home. https://georgerede.files.wordpress.c...t-stairs-2.jpg (like these, but the actual staircase is a little further south) Then I continued climbing, and climbing and finally dropped down toward my neighborhood, in the dark on ****ty pavement. https://tinyurl.com/y8slh2uy I felt totally miserable, bloated, cramp in my right flank, dead legs. Drinking (even just one beer), pizza and mandatory climbing don't mix. It didn't help that I had a backpack with a ream of paper and my clothes in it either. I couldn't imagine eating a bunch of bread, meat and cheese and drinking beer in the middle of a serious ride.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 28th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:18:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

[...]

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

... -- ate pizza, drank beer at a
friend's house. Then I carried my bike up about an 1/8th mile of
stairs and continued climbing home.
https://georgerede.files.wordpress.c...t-stairs-2.jpg
(like these, but the actual staircase is a little further south) Then
I continued climbing, and climbing and finally dropped down toward my
neighborhood, in the dark on ****ty pavement.
https://tinyurl.com/y8slh2uy

This is my favorite one ... not:

https://goo.gl/maps/kJSHw7yYqxL2

As Eddy Merckx once said in an interview, "This chocolate cake here? No,
chocolate cake isn't bad for you. It's hills, hills are what's bad for you".

... I felt totally miserable, bloated, cramp
in my right flank, dead legs. Drinking (even just one beer), pizza
and mandatory climbing don't mix. It didn't help that I had a
backpack with a ream of paper and my clothes in it either. I
couldn't imagine eating a bunch of bread, meat and cheese and
drinking beer in the middle of a serious ride.

I do that all the time though the bread is homemade. The beer as well if
it's a lonely trail far from "civilization". Some other cyclists
reported the same effects as you did but it has never had a noticeable
impact on my riding performance.

Old September 29th 18, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2018-09-28 09:52, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200
feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max
20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

Snipped

Why on earth would making a climb whilst riding a bicycle guarantee a b roken spoke?

Cheers
Old September 29th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-09-28 09:52, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200
feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max
20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

Snipped

Why on earth would making a climb whilst riding a bicycle guarantee a b roken spoke?

I don't think that you understand. After all, if one is so powerful
that people call you "Diesel Legs" nothing on a bicycle is safe when
you leap aboard and start pressing the pedals.
--
Cheers

John B.
Old September 29th 18, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2018-09-28 09:52, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200
feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max
20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

Snipped

Why on earth would making a climb whilst riding a bicycle guarantee a b roken spoke?

Cheers

Carrying a couple of growlers of beer and a side of beef for lunch must
strain the under engineered wheels on a typical road bike.

--
duane
Old September 29th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-09-28 09:52, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200
feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max
20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

Snipped

Why on earth would making a climb whilst riding a bicycle guarantee a b roken spoke?

Lowest gear, standing in the pedals - KAPOCK

I didn't say it guarantees it. It is a load the spokes never see on more
level surfaces. All my broken spokes happened either on a hill or at an
uphill traffic light when I stepped on it too hard after it turned green.

Old September 29th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:18:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Nice pavement! That looks like a lot of the suburban riding I did with my son in SLC.

Commuting home through the West Hills in PDX involves a lot of goat roads and bad pavement. This is another option for getting about a 1/3 through the climb home -- max grade 22%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2jK7Amty0 You hit the top of that climb . . . turn left and climb up some stair steps and then keep on climbing. If you want climbs longer than 3-4 miles, you have to get out of town, but you can string together a bunch of short climbs if you want to rack up gratuitous elevation. That's the principle of the Ronde de PDX, 7,300 feet in 50 miles, much of that within a few miles of downtown.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 29th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:18:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Platt Circle is about that steep but not as long. And, oh, that guy went
through a "Do Not Enter" sign, wrong way up a one-way street.

... You hit the top of that
climb . . . turn left and climb up some stair steps and then keep on
climbing. If you want climbs longer than 3-4 miles, you have to get
out of town, but you can string together a bunch of short climbs if
you want to rack up gratuitous elevation. That's the principle of the
Ronde de PDX, 7,300 feet in 50 miles, much of that within a few miles
of downtown.

For me climbs are no fun at all and try to avoid them wherever possible.
If there is an alternate route 5mi longer that avoids a long climb I
take that.

Old September 29th 18, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2018-09-28 09:52, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
Yesterday, I did about nine miles on the way home from work with 1200
feet of climbing. I stopped at mile 2, at the top of a short-ish max
20% climb https://tinyurl.com/ybcv5uxz

That's a very short "climb". On my road bike I'd probably walk that to
avoid breaking a spoke. Also due to the lack of low enough gearing.

Snipped

Why on earth would making a climb whilst riding a bicycle guarantee a b roken spoke?

Lowest gear, standing in the pedals - KAPOCK

I didn't say it guarantees it. It is a load the spokes never see on more
level surfaces. All my broken spokes happened either on a hill or at an
uphill traffic light when I stepped on it too hard after it turned green.

Stop buying ****ty wheels then. Or at least stop buying wheels not rated
for the weight. What you describe is typical use.

--
duane

Interbike 2011 Report SMS Techniques 2 September 18th 11 03:43 AM
Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report Sheldon Brown General 104 October 9th 07 03:09 AM
Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report Sheldon Brown Techniques 107 October 9th 07 03:09 AM
Sheldon Brown's Interbike Report and Podcasts Sheldon Brown General 11 October 5th 05 08:47 PM
Interbike trade show report online now! bikemecca.com Techniques 0 September 28th 05 05:31 AM