Mudguards for a gravel bike

Old November 19th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

Default Mudguards for a gravel bike

Could someone suggest an effective model of mudguards, front and rear, for a bike such as thishttp://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm? I am hoping to find a good quality set that I can mount and remove quickly. Most I have looked at are for 700c applications, and they won't do.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 19th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 8:47:54 AM UTC-8, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Could someone suggest an effective model of mudguards, front and rear, for a bike such as thishttp://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm? I am hoping to find a good quality set that I can mount and remove quickly. Most I have looked at are for 700c applications, and they won't do.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

That bike would be extremely difficult to install fenders on. Worse yet, it is very likely that you'd catch a fender in the tire while riding on rough ground. New bikes are not meant to be practical in mud conditions unless they're made in Belgium - Ridley or Merckx.
Old November 19th 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 9:19:57 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 8:47:54 AM UTC-8, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Could someone suggest an effective model of mudguards, front and rear, for a bike such as thishttp://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm? I am hoping to find a good quality set that I can mount and remove quickly. Most I have looked at are for 700c applications, and they won't do.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

That bike would be extremely difficult to install fenders on. Worse yet, it is very likely that you'd catch a fender in the tire while riding on rough ground. New bikes are not meant to be practical in mud conditions unless they're made in Belgium - Ridley or Merckx.

Kona's are made for fenders. They were one of the few builders a few years ago who put fender mounts on all their bikes -- thanks in large part to the Portland market and the company's connection to Erik Tonkin and Sellwood Cycles. I would think that a Planet Bike, SKS, Portland Design Works, etc., etc. fender of appropriate size/width would work fine on that bike. Here's the front fork attachment. https://41dcdfcd4dea0e5aba20-931851c..._t7d3e5ed9.jpg

Planet Bike 650B fender: https://www.planetbike.com/store/alx...dium-50mm.html Mega expensive PDW full metal fenders: https://ridepdw.com/products/full-me...=2994455707661

The fenders are not snap-on, snap-off, but with positive non-fussy mounts, it just takes a few minutes with a hex wrench.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 19th 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 10:29:07 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That picture shows no mounting lugs on the front fork though possibly you could mount one on the rear. But it appears that if any "fenders" could be mounted they would be the short ineffective kind. I went out for a ride before the fires started a couple of weeks ago and riding up the street there was a damn broken water main and my Colnago was covered in mud and the rocks in the that scratched the paint somewhat getting it off after the ride.

So I understand why you would want fenders but they have to be worthwhile or they're nothing more than a danger of catching the tire and folding under and stopping the bike.
Old November 19th 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:29:07 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

About Planet Bike fenders: I don't know if current ones are the same
design as the ones on our Bikes Friday (roughly 2008 vintage) but
those taught me about a couple shortcomings.

First, probably mentioned here, is that the fenders I bought attached
the stays to the plastic fender by collets that cinched on the stays
and were held to the edge of the fender by tiny pointed screws.
The screws came loose a couple of times, and the collets have slid
off the stays many times. Those are supposed to be a safety and
adjustment feature, but they've been a pain. Also, the collets
are thick enough that they frequently brush the tire, often producing
a squealing sound.

The second shortcoming is not so obvious. Each left fender stay is
connected to its mate on the right only by the plastic material of
the fender itself. This is just not rigid enough. It allows the
fender to swing side to side much more than it would with the
typical sheet metal attachment bracket/brace or a continuous
U-shaped stay circling from left to right, outside the fender. This
means those collets contact the tire even more.

The collet system is a bit of advantage for a bike like this that
must be partly disassembled to fit in a suitcase for airline travel.
But I've decided the disadvantages are bigger than those advantages.
I keep meaning to make new stays out of my supply of 1/8" stainless
steel welding rod. Maybe I'll get around to that this winter.

The fenders are not snap-on, snap-off, but with positive non-fussy mounts, it just takes a few minutes with a hex wrench.

Years ago, I had my fenders set up to go on and off quickly. I didn't
even need to remove the wheels, IIRC. But for a long time now, I've
just left them on all year.

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 19th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 12:04:03 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Tom, look on the inside of the fork. There is a button head screw with a 3mm hex wrench fitting. That's pretty standard implementation on CF forks. I have two bikes with that arrangement.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 19th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ANY reduction of the space between the hub/wheel and the fork is bad design.. Kona does have the model http://www.konaworld.com/rove.cfm that is more correctly set up for fenders though I would prefer front as well as rear mounting points. It doesn't take many crashes to teach you more respect for road debris.
Old November 19th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 12:10:08 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

The Planet Bike fenders for standard bikes are pretty . . . standard. https://www.planetbike.com/store/cas...0c-x-45mm.html

Basically a cheaper version of the SKS Longboards. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...ngboard-black/

The PDW full metal fenders are a more complicated design, but I can't stand the noise generated by metal fenders and don't want to spend $120 in any event.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 19th 18, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:44:03 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

It works fine and doesn't interfere in any way with the spokes. My CX commuter has the same inside fork mount which, BTW, avoids mounting problems with discs. On that bike, I can ride 35mm studs with fenders and not pack them too badly with snow.

My winter fast bike is a Synapse with fenders -- with the same inside fork mount. With 28mm tires, I do pack-up them up a bit riding the close-in forest roads, but those roads are leaf-heaps this time of year. https://redtricom.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=640&h=480 I just spin the wheel backwards to clear it out.

Yes, you can get blow-down jammed in your fenders and come to a halt. I've done that with a rear fender -- and I've done it with no fenders. I try to avoid blow down to the extent possible -- which is tough this time of year, but I've managed for the last 35 years of daily commuting with fenders.

Everybody uses fenders around here in the fall/winter/spring. Even gravel riding. http://www.leaveitontheroad.com/blog...de-portland-or

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 19th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 11:47:54 AM UTC-5, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Could someone suggest an effective model of mudguards, front and rear, for a bike such as thishttp://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm? I am hoping to find a good quality set that I can mount and remove quickly. Most I have looked at are for 700c applications, and they won't do.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

It'd be really nice to have an image that showed the clearance between the front tire and fork bottom. That being said though, if indeed the fork is designed to have a fender mounted to it via a bolt through the fender and into the bottom of the fork (as JBeatie stated in his post); that could be a very easy way to mount the fender and also have the minimal impact on tire clearance.

I prefer a metal fender to brake bridge mount on the rear fender as the metal is a lot thinner than a plastic mount and thus the fender can be mounted closer to the brake bridge - unless it too has a threaded hole under it for a bolt through the fender to mount to.

A very long time ago I had an MTB that did not have enough clearance for a fender on the front. I simply drilled a hole the size of the fork crown race and installed the fender on the fork steerer below the crown race. It worked really well for all the years I had that bike. Unfortunately that's not an option with a recessed headset.

Cheers

Bike with mudguards on. Martin[_2_] UK 7 July 27th 09 05:08 PM
Recommendation for second bike: Gravel, hills, mud, ice, snow SunMan General 2 October 17th 06 03:54 PM
Bike computers are great. I did 12 mph for an hour on flat gravel road. novice Mountain Biking 7 March 29th 06 02:53 PM
A road bike for gravel paths? Ib UK 30 July 26th 05 12:54 PM
Newbie question - mudguards for full suspension bike Alan UK 6 December 21st 03 10:08 PM