Carrying tools

Old October 20th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Carrying tools

I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?
Old October 20th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 6:21:36 PM UTC-5, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

I was on tour a long time ago. About 600 miles from home, via car. About 100 miles from the end of the bicycling portion of my tour. Riding between Durango and Wolf Creek Pass. I saw a screwdriver on the road. Picked it up. But a ball-pein hammer? I'd probably have to let it go. I would pick it up and haul it to that night's stop town. Then give it away or leave it someplace obvious for someone else to find. Would not haul it 1000 miles to home.
Old October 20th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/19/2017 7:21 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

Mail it home, of course! ;-)

More honestly, I don't think I've ever picked up a roadside tool on a
tour. There was one I missed, though.

I did an overnight with a good cycling friend, about 75 miles out,
camped overnight, then woke to rain and a 75 mile ride back.

He's as much a tool nut as I am, and we both have significant
collections of "found" tools. As we rode along in the rain, I noticed
what looked like a Leatherman carrying case in the road. I quickly
decided it wasn't worth stopping for, but I yelled back to tell him
about it in case he wanted it.

He stopped to pick it up, then saw what I'd missed: The Leatherman tool
was lying in the grass nearby. It turned out to be a $75 model. He
still has it. I still regret not stopping.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 16:21:34 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

When the Tool God smiles upon you, grab it. I've got a nice little tool
collection from road finds over the years. Got a buddy who is the king
of road finds, though, and his haul dwarfs mine.

On almost all of my bikes I have a moderately sized front bag and one of
my bikes always has a Carradice saddlebag, so snagging most stuff is
pretty quick and easy. I have one road bike with only a tiny
under-saddle bag for a tube and a few tools, on that bike it would take
some ingenuity.
Old October 20th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

--
JS
Old October 20th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Area construction. County Road is too busy to clean off unfriendly pave n construction people are lax loading Bud fir the trip home n no way tightening up next morn.

There's stuff all over.

Lot of tool use is avoided with Loctite.

Are you a tweak ? Tweakies are rare. I have forced myself into tweakyness discipline over years of driving fine euro touring cars n continued with cycle. Let's stop now n tweak the rear brake...having completely gone useless or maybe 2 more pounds in the front...

Tweaker do not ride rust holed lower p anels

That's where multi tool goes. .

I lost my Wave from exhaustion. I am one found one bought n 2 lost now ...computing cost/years owned.

I'm so tickled by L's line maybe I'll Prime 2
Old October 20th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

James writes:

On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

How big? A 4 oz hammer would be very hard to pass up, a 40 oz hammer
hard to pick up.

Old October 20th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:20:10 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

I don't need two. I'd leave it on the curb for someone else to find. My 8" adjustable wrench was a road find. I found $2 last week -- bills floating around on the road. I spent the next mile scanning the shoulder looking for a bag of dollars.

The most amazing road find was while driving in a car. I was driving on a rural highway through thick forest in the coast range. I hit a pot hole and launched a hub cap across the road and into the woods. The other side of the road dropped off into a steep bowl. I found my hub cap in this wooded bowl -- along with about a million other hub caps, strewn around in the ferns and trees. It was like the enchanted forest of hubcaps. I bet there were hubcaps going back to the beginning of hubcap time. The pothole must have existed since the pleistocene.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 20th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 20/10/17 01:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

Work harden my spokes.

Old October 21st 17, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:04:40 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

James writes:

On 20/10/17 10:21, Doug Landau wrote:
I was on tour
I was 1K miles from home
I passed a ball-pein hammer in the gutter
What would you do?

That's a fair distance to lug a hammer. Would you notice the extra
weight given the weight of your bike, luggage and yourself?

Is it in good condition?

I'd be considering it.

How big? A 4 oz hammer would be very hard to pass up, a 40 oz hammer
hard to pick up.

Hard to pick up? 40 oz = 2.5 lbs. or 1.1 kg. :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Is NBC carrying the Giro??? Paul Kossa Racing 3 January 28th 09 05:29 PM
Carrying muni on mtb tobbogonist Unicycling 0 November 20th 07 12:10 PM
Carrying a laptop Chris[_3_] Australia 13 June 25th 07 12:12 PM
Carrying Chancock Unicycling 18 January 29th 07 03:27 PM
carrying stuff cathwood Unicycling 13 March 31st 05 05:59 PM