Air pressure

Old July 28th 03, 06:24 AM
orfeo

Default Air pressure

I was just reading through that pump post, and i saw most ppl talking
about having tyre pressures of 100+ psi (i assume). On my tyres it has a
psi rating of 45-60, which seems a bit low as i can still indent them
with my thumb. What pressures do most ppl pump their tyres up too? I'm
riding a trek 970 with slicks with grooves for the water to run off (not
sure on the brand obviously). Do different tyres have different pressure
ratings? and is it better to have a higher pressure (assuming you not
subjecting your tyres to large impact forces).

orfeo

Old July 28th 03, 08:13 AM

orfeo wrote:

I was just reading through that pump post, and i saw most ppl talking
about having tyre pressures of 100+ psi (i assume). On my tyres it has a
psi rating of 45-60, which seems a bit low as i can still indent them
with my thumb. What pressures do most ppl pump their tyres up too? I'm
riding a trek 970 with slicks with grooves for the water to run off (not
sure on the brand obviously). Do different tyres have different pressure
ratings?

Yes. Fat tyres require lower pressures than skinny tyres. Yours is an
mtb with fat tyres, so don't pump them up to 100psi, they might blow
them off the rim if you did.

hope this helps
GK

Old July 28th 03, 08:19 AM
Andrew Swan

orfeo wrote:
I was just reading through that pump post, and i saw most ppl talking
about having tyre pressures of 100+ psi (i assume). On my tyres it has a
psi rating of 45-60, which seems a bit low as i can still indent them
with my thumb. What pressures do most ppl pump their tyres up too? I'm
riding a trek 970 with slicks with grooves for the water to run off (not
sure on the brand obviously). Do different tyres have different pressure
ratings? and is it better to have a higher pressure (assuming you not
subjecting your tyres to large impact forces).

orfeo

AFAIK you shouldn't exceed the rating printed on the tyre (every tyre
has this, I guess the narrower the tyre, the higher the pressure). I'd
say road tyres are typically inflated at 100-120 psi. Track bikes might
be even higher (given these bikes are in theory only ever ridden on
perfect surfaces and don't need the shock absorption qualities of a road
tyre).

If you're a bigger guy like me (over 90kg) on a road bike, it's
important to keep the tyres at their upper limit, otherwise you puncture
more easily and if the pressure's low enough, you can damage your rims
when you hit a pothole.

HTH,

&roo

Old July 28th 03, 10:34 PM
Megan Webb

All tires have different pressure ratings. These are set by the maker
and are the safe range. Too low and you risk pinch flats, too high and
risk the tire blowing off the rim.

Having said that, the makers generally are conservative in their
ratings, but the safer answer if you want to run higher or lower
pressures is to get another tire.

I have a set of wheels with 40psi MAX tire pressures, and another set
with 135psi MAX - different tires, different pressures for different
uses.

(Also, at bicycle speeds the grooves for the water to run off is all
marketing.)

Megan

Old July 29th 03, 05:57 AM
hippy

"orfeo" wrote in message
ohhh...really, interesting, can anyone recommend some mtb slicks which
are weight friendly? and not too expensive.

Vredestein S-Licks are a bit on the expensive side but they
are damn light and damn fast on the road! $50-$60 each.
They also come in RED!! :-D
There was another thread on mtb slicks recently. When I
ever get spare time I'm going to create an online list of mtb
slicks for us aussies. If you want the info I've got I can email
it to you.

hip

Old July 29th 03, 10:10 AM
John Doe

: ohhh...really, interesting, can anyone recommend some mtb slicks which
: are weight friendly? and not too expensive.
:
: orfeo
:
:
I have specialized fatboys. 1.25" ~3.1cm. They are slicks with no grooves.
They are pretty good. There are reviews over the web of these tyres. I
think Cycling Australia reviewed them sometime over the last year. Cost
about $40 a tyre.

Peter

tIre pressure gpickett00 Unicycling 26 January 1st 05 08:44 PM
Pumping up tire on disc - how much pressure? Jens Kurt Heycke Techniques 5 February 28th 04 09:58 PM
5th Element Air Carla A-G Mountain Biking 46 August 29th 03 02:03 PM
Tire pressure on hot days? Sam Huffman Techniques 17 July 15th 03 09:22 PM