Stuck behind a bike

Old September 5th 03, 03:17 AM
Tim Jones

Default Stuck behind a bike

"Peter Cremasco" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:17 GMT, Arpit
wrote:

WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
getting ****ed?

What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
and the driver is getting ****ed?

If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts tailgating me,
I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash my brake
lights - that usually works in getting them to back off.

I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant conscious
thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able to
get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Tim

Old September 5th 03, 03:29 AM
hippy

"amirm" wrote in message
I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

Definately. As well as whether or not you are wearing lycra
and on a road bike or an mtb. Or if you are a kid on a bmx.
Or if you are wearing no helmet or have no lights at night.
Or if they've had a bad day.
Every driver can reacte differently depending on millions
of circumstances.
Why do you ask? Somone wrong you?

I often think to myself "well I have a right to be here so
get stuffed car driver" which most of the time changes to:
"okay i'll let you through because if i do, you might not
hate me so much next time we meet and if I intentionally
hold you up, i'm just causing you to waste MORE fuel
anyway!"
If the person in the car gives me grief though, and i'm
doing nothing wrong, well, lets just say it suddenly looks
like the hippy has taken some bad acid :-)

hippy

Old September 5th 03, 03:33 AM
hippy

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant

conscious
thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able

get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Sometimes the traffic flow is just right to stick you in this situation.
e.g. Trams can cause it. You catch up to a tram and then the person
behind you doesn't have the judgment/skill to pass between you and
the tram so insteads starts beeping at you to, what, levitate the bike
sideways over the gutter?!
f%$ off b%^ch! (venting, sorry, can still remember this one incident..)

hippy

Old September 5th 03, 04:10 AM
Paul J

Keep in mind people that we're on a bike with no protection and no power
to get quickly out of a trap situation. Our options as cyclists are very
limited. So although it's nice to imagine that we're in control when
someone is struck behind us it's better to always assume that they are
not cycle-friendly and be prepared for the worst.

An associate of mine (anti-cyclist) once described a situation to me. An
inconsiderate cyclist was riding in the inside lane approaching the
intersection at which he needed to turn left. Five metres out of the
intersection he decides not to wait and cuts off the bike because.....he
didn't want to hold up anyone who might be coming along behind him. He
honestly felt that the cyclist was interfering with his rights and that
he was acting in a socially responsible manner towards other drivers
behind him.

This indicates the mentality of a few drivers out there. Slowing down
for just a few moments for another road user is utterly unimaginable.
The more "insignificant" the other vehicle the more frustrated they
become. It's just few moments but to them it must feel like a lifetime.
And all they're doing is going down to the pub.

Old September 5th 03, 05:52 AM
SteveDel

Originally posted by Paul J Keep in mind people that we're on a bike
with no protection and no power to get quickly out of a trap situation.
Our options as cyclists are very limited. So although it's nice to
imagine that we're in control when someone is struck behind us it's
better to always assume that they are not cycle-friendly and be prepared
for the worst.

Oh so true. Commuting daily in Sydney is a good way of coming across all
the reminders that this fact. I have found that the Bus lane / Transit
lane in the South Eastern burbs is the safest place to be. The Bus
drivers have all been great, in fact I've had some good runs with them
going up Anzac Pde, as they stop to pick up the plebs at 0630 and then
again in rush-hour on the way home. They always go wide on the straight
runs and come up slow with no pressure into a stop.

But watch the cabs and the idiots with no peripheral vision and
pudding-basin haircuts, and no sense of distance. (you know, the one's
who pull up 10 metres from a traffic light, and who are always driving
the car at the front of a line of nose to tailers!) Both these will pull
up and have been known to cut in at no-notice to get round that next
corner only metres in front of you at 30+ KM/HR. The bar-end rear view
mirror gets a good workout, and I have to replace the brake pads every
1000k's, but I wouldn't miss the daily buzz for quids. Something about
the return to the primeval and the need for adrenalin.

But you always have to remember, only two wheels, reflexes, and
alertness to keep you upright and a brain bucket to save you if you
can't beat the odds.

Good luck and safe rolling.

Old September 5th 03, 06:10 AM
Paul J

If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts tailgating
me, I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash
my brake lights - that usually works in getting them to back off.

That's reactionary. Not good. If they're travelling too close and no
idea of the speed limit then let that be they're problem. They WILL have
an accident and probably already have at some point. They may even be
doing it purely to get a reaction from you in which case you've given
them something. Be aware of them remembering that ignorance is bliss and
that in your doing nothing at all they're only getting more and more
frustrated, all the while being completely in the wrong. Being ignored
can be soooo frustrating.