effect of days off training?

Old December 22nd 03, 06:25 AM
Eric Lambi

Default effect of days off training?

Hello RBR,

I have a question about the effect of missing days of training. I
have to miss 4 days of training in January, and have another 4 day
trip in March that is optional. The first trip (mandatory) is about 6
weeks after the date I started training, and the second is another 6
weeks out.

Typically, I do rest weeks every 4th week, although the rest weeks
involve only 2 days off (2 days of hard testing and 3 days of Zone 1/2
to round it off). I am considering changing my schedule to make my
rest weeks every 6th week to coincide with the days I will miss
training (the week would be 4 days off, 2 days easy, 1 day of
testing). I am curious as to the affects of missing 4 days straight
of exercise. I might be able to use a hotel gym or find a local gym,
but I really can't be sure that I'll have the time.

My main goals for the season aren't until mid-May and beyond, and I
will certainly be training hard before and after these missed days. I
suspect that there will be little or no residual affect from these
missed days by May, but would like to hear the experience of others .
.. . basically I am looking for advice on whether or not to go with the
optional trip, and perhaps some advice on whether and how I should
change my training near the missed days (either before or after).

Thanks!

Eric Lambi

Old December 22nd 03, 03:04 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
m...
[...]

This is probably not the advice you were seeking (that will no doubt be
forthcoming), but if you're truly worried about the detrimental effects of
two 4-day off-periods between now and next Spring, consider that you're
encroaching on obsessive-compulsive territory.

Relax. Unless you're paying the rent off your winnings, some detachment
might be in order. If your overall program is decent, those two blips won't
matter in the long run.

SB

Old December 22nd 03, 04:29 PM
warren

In article , Eric Lambi
wrote:

Hello RBR,

I have a question about the effect of missing days of training. I
have to miss 4 days of training in January, and have another 4 day
trip in March that is optional. The first trip (mandatory) is about 6
weeks after the date I started training, and the second is another 6
weeks out.

Typically, I do rest weeks every 4th week, although the rest weeks
involve only 2 days off (2 days of hard testing and 3 days of Zone 1/2
to round it off).

Many people would suggest that your rest weeks include training similar
to the previous weeks but with a decrease in duration for each type of
training.

I am considering changing my schedule to make my
rest weeks every 6th week to coincide with the days I will miss
training (the week would be 4 days off, 2 days easy, 1 day of
testing). I am curious as to the affects of missing 4 days straight
of exercise.

Just change the week beforehand a bit by going harder and then use your
four days off to rest/recover from that. Even if you don't plan for the
four days off it will take only 4-5 days to regain what you *may* have
lost during that time period.

-WG
Old December 22nd 03, 06:45 PM
ronde chumpion

Hey,

I read with great interest your question. It is my sincere hope to
help you understand what is going the happen as an effect to you
skipping training.
From what I gather, you are planning on missing over 10% of the days
in BOTH January and March. You can expect a reduction in your
performance of approximately 10% when your 'goal' period of late May
arrives.
The people you are competing against will not be skipping training on
these days. I checked. Therefore, it can be surmised that you will be
6 minutes further back for each hour of racing. In a sport where races
are won and lost by inches, you will not be competitive.
Better to just skip the season, stay surfing on RBR, maybe spend
sometime with the family, and start your planning for a 2005 comeback.
A few people are going to be inclined to tell you that your time away
from training will have zero effect on your performance two-four
months later. They might even try to convince you that you may perform
better because of the resting. These people are not to be trusted.
They may actually have an ulterior motive of trying to win whatever
dorky citizen bike race you are peaking for.

Oh, btw, you can just inject some fitness when you get back, if you
know what I mean.

Thanks,
Ronde Chumpion

(here to help)
Old December 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
jim gravity

Steve Blankensh wrote:
This is probably not the advice you were seeking (that will no doubt be
forthcoming), but if you're truly worried about the detrimental effects
of two 4-day off-periods between now and next Spring, consider that
you're encroaching on obsessive-compulsive territory.
Relax. Unless you're paying the rent off your winnings, some detachment
might be in order. If your overall program is decent, those two blips
won't matter in the long run.
SB

brilliant

eric, make sure you have fun when you ride

-

Old December 23rd 03, 02:45 AM
Tom Kunich

"Eric Lambi" wrote in message
[...]

..
. . basically I am looking for advice on whether or not to go with

the
optional trip, and perhaps some advice on whether and how I should
change my training near the missed days (either before or after).

Eric, if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Just put in a little
more effort on your hard day before and after your trip.

But if it really bothers you, most big hotels now have exercise rooms
and you can use the time on a treadmill.

Old December 23rd 03, 03:59 PM

I sometimes use trips to do a
"forced taper", after which I
attempt some sort of personal