verbose "Yu Che" screwdriver (detective story)

Old September 15th 17, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default verbose "Yu Che" screwdriver (detective story)

I have a magnetic slated screwdriver in my
possession that has a certain attitude to it,
however the amount of data on the handle seems
a bit over the top.

Also this is a case where Google failed (or the
Internet did, or my usage thereof) as
I couldn't get any hits on either the presumed
manufacturer's name, nor the ISO standard, nor
the patent number.

Here is what it says:

Yu Che the company?
VPA GS (part of the logo)
ISO 2380 [1]
Type 38 product reference?
CR-M chromium, magnetic?
1.0X5.5X100 ??? * width * length
PAT M9803920.2 patent number? what's there
to patent in just another
magnetic slated screwdriver?

[1] This page seems to have something to do
with it,
https://www.iso.org/standard/35869.html ,
but I can't find the particular material on
ISO 2380 tho.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 15th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 04:01:43 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

[...]

Why not just google on ISO 2380? I get 452,000 hits.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 15th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Why not just google on ISO 2380? I get
452,000 hits.

Do the 452 000 hits include the one that
describes that standard in particular?

Old September 15th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/15/2017 2:23 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

Why not just google on ISO 2380? I get
452,000 hits.

Do the 452 000 hits include the one that
describes that standard in particular?

ISO 2380 is a block of specifications for hand tools.
You'll need the specific subsection for whatever it is you
need to know.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 16th 17, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

ISO 2380 is a block of specifications for
hand tools. You'll need the specific
subsection for whatever it is you need
to know.

Granted, there is nothing I "need" to know
here, just thought it could be an interesting
"lead" to explore. It doesn't say anything more
than what I wrote in the first post, which was
a lot to begin with.

It would be interesting to know in general how
to look up a standard, and what specifically
this refers to that they thought important
enough to put on their screwdriver.

But OK, two specific question would be, one,
what does the first digit in 1.0X5.5X100 refer
to? Some property of the magnet?

And two, what is so special about the
screwdriver that it qualified for a patent?
And how that is looked up, in general, as
well... The number in particular being
PAT M9803920.2 .

Old September 16th 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 21:23:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Why not just google on ISO 2380? I get
452,000 hits.

Do the 452 000 hits include the one that
describes that standard in particular?

Well, you apparently didn't even bother to try what I suggested but
ISO 2380 is a basic standard concerning "Assembly tools for screws and
nuts -- Screwdrivers for slotted-head screws".

we have a
ISO 2380-1:2004
Assembly tools for screws and nuts -- Screwdrivers for slotted-head
screws -- Part 1: Tips for hand- and machine-operated screwdrivers

and a
ISO 2380-2:2004
Assembly tools for screws and nuts -- Screwdrivers for slotted-head
screws -- Part 2: General requirements, lengths of blades and marking
of hand-operated screwdrivers

and probably several other portions of the standards concerning the
same thing.

Which one did you want?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 16th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:

:But OK, two specific question would be, one,
:what does the first digit in 1.0X5.5X100 refer
:to? Some property of the magnet?

Thickness of the blade, width of the blade, length of the thing.

:And two, what is so special about the
:screwdriver that it qualified for a patent?
:And how that is looked up, in general, as
:well... The number in particular being
:PAT M9803920.2 .

That's not a format I recognize.

--
sig 38
Old September 16th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 02:04:05 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

ISO 2380 is a block of specifications for
hand tools. You'll need the specific
subsection for whatever it is you need
to know.

Granted, there is nothing I "need" to know
here, just thought it could be an interesting
"lead" to explore. It doesn't say anything more
than what I wrote in the first post, which was
a lot to begin with.

It would be interesting to know in general how
to look up a standard, and what specifically
this refers to that they thought important
enough to put on their screwdriver.

But OK, two specific question would be, one,
what does the first digit in 1.0X5.5X100 refer
to? Some property of the magnet?

There is obviously no way of telling but I would guess that it is the
size of the screwdriver 1.0mm by 5.5mm by 100mm.

I just jumped up and measured a screw driver in my tool box and
amazingly it measures 0.9 x 5.3 x 103mm. so perhaps my supposition is
correct?

Old September 17th 17, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

David Scheidt wrote:

Thickness of the blade, width of the blade,
length of the thing.

OK!

I thought the first digit would refer to
something with the magnet since I have seen the
other format (widthXlength) on other
screwdrivers that weren't magnetic (and the
"width" part on slated bits, of course).

I suppose the Yu Che manufacturer were just
more meticulous in them providing a complete
specification for their tool.

Old September 17th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Well, you apparently didn't even bother to
try what I suggested but ISO 2380 is a basic
standard concerning "Assembly tools for
screws and nuts -- Screwdrivers for
slotted-head screws".

If I Google "ISO 2380" the first hit is this
page, a link I provided in the initial post:

https://www.iso.org/standard/35869.html

It contains some metadata and a form to "Buy
this standard" but what I can see (?) no link
to the standard itself, nor any hands-on data
with respect to the/a screwdriver or whatever
properties it complies with.

Are the ISO standards not available free of
charge so you have to buy them to know what
they say?