LBS "upgrade"

Old February 12th 05, 01:23 AM
Gregg

Default LBS "upgrade"

Is it worth the additional cost to purchase
tube liners and "thicker" tubes for your MTB?

(For that added protection of reducing the chance
for flats).

The LBS was offering this for around $30-$40.

Just curious. Or is there some after market
products that provide similar protection?
(Green slime? or whatever that stuff is).

I declined at time of purchase. But I'll be taking
my MTB in for the free tune up soon. just curious if
I should have them install that stuff.

thx.

-Gregg
Old February 12th 05, 01:35 AM
Curt Bousquet

Gregg [email protected] wrote let it be known
in news[email protected]
net:

Is it worth the additional cost to purchase
tube liners and "thicker" tubes for your MTB?

(For that added protection of reducing the chance
for flats).

The LBS was offering this for around $30-$40.

Just curious. Or is there some after market
products that provide similar protection?
(Green slime? or whatever that stuff is).

I declined at time of purchase. But I'll be taking
my MTB in for the free tune up soon. just curious if
I should have them install that stuff.

I think you need to answer two questions first.

1) Where are you

2) What kind of riding are you planning on doing?

Where I am (N.E. USA) we don't need anything like that no matter
what kind of trails we find. But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.
Old February 12th 05, 01:48 AM
Curt Bousquet

Curt Bousquet wrote let it be known
in :

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*
Old February 12th 05, 02:24 AM
Dave

Curt Bousquet wrote:
Curt Bousquet wrote let it be known
in :

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*

I use thorn resistant tubes and love them. They hold up super well and
have not had a flat since using them. They are heavier so if you are
weight conscious these will not be up your alley.

Peace.

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious
Old February 12th 05, 03:18 AM
Gregg

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*

I'm in the Southwest, (Arizona).

I'm leaning towards having them installed. $30 - $40
ain't gonna break me......

thanx for the input.

Old February 12th 05, 03:20 AM
Gregg

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*

I use thorn resistant tubes and love them. They hold up super well and
have not had a flat since using them. They are heavier so if you are
weight conscious these will not be up your alley.

Peace.

Not a gram counter.... :-)

thx. for the info.
Old February 12th 05, 11:48 AM

Save like 30 buck. Buy the tubes and install them
yourself. But if you can't because you lack the know how. Go run to the
LBS and give up the bucks.

Old February 12th 05, 02:36 PM
Corvus Corvax

Gregg wrote:
Is it worth the additional cost to purchase
tube liners and "thicker" tubes for your MTB?

[...]
Or is there some after market
products that provide similar protection?
(Green slime? or whatever that stuff is).

You're in Arizona? Some type of thorn protection is probably a good
idea. I use Slimed tubes when I ride the desert, and I have been very
pleased with them. "Green Slime" is a gooey fluid that you put inside a
tube to make it self-sealing when hit with a small puncture. It works.

CC

Old February 12th 05, 09:11 PM
jack

"Gregg" [email protected] wrote in message
news[email protected]...

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*

I'm in the Southwest, (Arizona).

I'm leaning towards having them installed. $30 - $40
ain't gonna break me......

thanx for the input.

You can do it yourself if you got Schrader tubes. Buy a bottle of Slime.
Let the air out. Unscrew the schrader valve. Pour the recommended amount.
Put the valve back on. Pump up your tires.

Old February 12th 05, 11:49 PM
Dave W

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:48:21 -0600, Curt Bousquet
wrote:

Curt Bousquet wrote let it be known
in :

But from what I understand, in the
S.E. it is pretty handy.

er.... South*west*

uh, Thanks. Not much need in the southeast...

Component upgrade? Oz General 16 September 28th 04 01:56 AM
Wanna upgrade my bike ... advice needed. Daniel Crispin General 3 June 29th 04 02:37 PM
buy or upgrade? newbie has q's? Melissa Leyva-Brown General 54 May 27th 04 10:56 PM
KH rail adapter + Primo Rod = worst upgrade ever m_eddy Unicycling 5 April 22nd 04 05:15 PM
Most Worthwhile Upgrade? jef Techniques 29 September 24th 03 04:07 PM