Mountain Biking in Keswick

Old March 20th 05, 11:29 AM

Default Mountain Biking in Keswick

There is a good bike train from Keswick station to Threlkeld along the
old Railway footpath.
Pictures at: www.ckp-railways.co.uk

bradley rees wrote:
Hi fellow bikers

I'm off biking next week in Keswick.

Does anyone know of any good trails?

Simon

Old March 21st 05, 10:16 PM
fawxes

I've been biking in Keswick for the past two years and loved it. The
path from Skiddaw house to the foot of Skiddaw (by the car park) had
had a landslide when I was there in August so be careful when you're
taking that route, one of the slides was only passable by throwing your
bike into the scar, jumping in after and climbing out the other end.

There is a good route via the leisure centre onto the old railway to
Threlkeld the up to Blencathrie (I think that's spelt right) and up to
Skiddaw house that way.

Another route is called the Borrowdale Bash, goes via Watendlath,
Grange and Seatoller around Derwent water.

What I do is go into the mountain bike shop
http://www.keswickmountainbikes.co.uk/ , two shops, same people, one
by the pencil museum/climbing wall and one in town on a back street,
and ask them for directions. They're really helpful. Just make sure you
let them know what units you're using for the distance you want to do.
I asked for a 30 km ride (newbie) and was given a 30 mile ride.
Knackered just doesn't do it justice. But they did let me wash my bike
for free, very nice people.

If you do go to Skiddaw house the climb up through the forest to the
car park is a sod so go via Threlkeld, but descend through the forest,
twists and turns and ruts and walkers and logging equipment, tis fun.