? on PCH 1, Long Beach to San Clemente

Old December 29th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Litwak

Default ? on PCH 1, Long Beach to San Clemente

I'm looking for any comments on the quality of the ride (shoulder
available, density of traffic, view of ocean) on PCH 1 from around Seal
Beach to San Clemente. I rode the Pacific Coast Highway in Central
California from Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara when I lived in San Jose.
I' d like to do more of the southern part now. I've done a century
that included Camarillo to Santa Barbara, so I don't need to do that
part, and I really have no interest in the ride south from there through
LA and Long Beach, which has to be both rather stressful on a bike and
probably not very scenic. I'm planning a day ride this time around and
I'm thinking of going from Seal Beach to San Clemente. I'd like to ride
just about all of PCH 1 south of Half Moon Bay that I can (not going on
the north side of SF because I'm not going to context the narrow road
with logging trucks).

So does anyone have recent experience on PCH 1 between Seal Beach
and San Clemente? I'm planning to go this week. I'm guessing this is
pretty flat, at least compared to areas like Big Sur and Santa Cruz.
Thanks.

Ken
Old December 29th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Saudade

"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
[...]

I ride the stretch between Sunset Beach and Newport on a regular basis.
Haven't pedaled to SC but drive there a lot.

From Seal Beach into Newport is mostly along the ocean. Nice views on a
good day. Downton Huntington beach (where I live) has no bike lanes and
lot's of parked cars. Once you cross the Santa Ana River you'll head into
downtown Newport Beach. It's pretty crowded with no bike lanes or shoulders
so watch out (very commercialized). Once out, it's OK and back along the
coast until you get into Laguna. Same with the downtown there. Then through
Dan Point, San Juan Cap, and into San Clemente. There are some modest
elevation changes (compared to Big Sur) but nothing huge. If you look on
Google Earth, you can see it pretty clearly.

Old December 29th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Saudade

"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I took some pics along my ride this morning. You should be able to see
them without logging on or being a "friend". About mid deck are the shots
along PCH in Huntington Beach.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...&id=1069647513

Old December 30th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Litwak

Saudade wrote:
"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I did have to join Facebook to see these, but I appreciate the
effort. Thanks.

Ken
Old December 31st 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Saudade

"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
Saudade wrote:

OK, I took some pics along my ride this morning. You should be able to
see them without logging on or being a "friend". About mid deck are the
shots along PCH in Huntington Beach.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...&id=1069647513

Well, I did have to join Facebook to see these, but I appreciate the
effort. Thanks.

Ken

Hmmm.... Sorry about that.

Old December 31st 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Litwak

Saudade wrote:
"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
Saudade wrote:

OK, I took some pics along my ride this morning. You should be able to
see them without logging on or being a "friend". About mid deck are the
shots along PCH in Huntington Beach.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...&id=1069647513

Well, I did have to join Facebook to see these, but I appreciate the
effort. Thanks.

Ken

Hmmm.... Sorry about that.

Not a big deal, and I appreciated the photos. My ride went pretty well,
except for the traffic in Laguna Beach. That was not fun.

Ken