Shimano Introduces Off-Road Electronic Shifting

Old June 6th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano Introduces Off-Road Electronic Shifting

On Friday, June 6, 2014 10:17:10 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/6/2014 1:48 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
Just recently I took apart a mid-1980's MTB to get the frame redone. Cup and cone bearings on all parts. THe bottom bracket shell and the headtube were full of nice clean pink grease and I mean that greased was really packed in there. No space left at all- EXCEPT - where the bearing cages were! The bearings themselves were bone dry albeit nice and very shiny. Just shows that with cup and cone bearings you need to get right into the innards to get the grease to the bearings themselves.

I like the selaed bottom bracked sets now even the older square taper ones as they are so easy to install and adjust.

Cheers

The grease inside sealed units also eventually dries out and

gets pushed away from the balls. Open yours in 20 years to

check!

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's exactly what appears to have happened with that bike - the grease was psuhed away from the bearings. However the grease was clean and very soft - useable. Thus I think it had been injected into the bottom bracket and head tube not that long before I got the bike. Just goes to show though that what appears to be a lot of grease being injected into something in the hopes of lubing the bearings just by the sheer amount of grease may not get to the bearings at all.

Cheers
Old June 6th 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:39:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
RAINS SO HARD IN Portland there's no grit.

urgonna wind up under a bus fersure.

bad attitude toward equipment bad.

I've ridden through three feet of standing water -- just to see if I could. You have to shoo the geese away: http://tinyurl.com/nh7zcgl I did go home and empty my BB after that. If I encounter a dramatic amount of water, I do more aggressive maintenance. BTW, that's a nice MUP commute route usually, but sometimes too busy, particularly with our current streak of sunny weather. http://tinyurl.com/kzy7m3b

Getting mowed down by a bus will not be due to my equipment. They seem to push me around regardless of my equipment. Something is going to hit me eventually. http://tinyurl.com/pcqsoq5 There is actually a bike lane in that picture, although you'll never see it because it drops off the sidewalk and in front of the turning street car. Riding up SW 5th is like running a steeple chase.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 8th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Muzi,

yes, I asked several years ago, you said that. The BB was on the van's rear door 2007-2012 but not in rain. No dirt riding...not a grueling road test. I'll try a stethoscope when the chain comes off.

All other bearings are in Finish Line silicone. Shimano BB grease is fossil ? fossil soap ?

Finish Line dries in 3-4 years but dries as looks less slippery than when new...day old cake icing.

Old June 8th 14, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

what protocol are the trolleymen using with cyclists ?

I imagne some cyclists have a matador mentality ?