Fun fun fun

Old April 24th 04, 04:18 PM
Jon Senior

Default Fun fun fun

With the weather being so good, I thought I'd take the Giant out for
spin. Since building the fixed wheel I haven't ridden it around
Edinburgh for a few months. I'd forgotten quite how much fun it was,
(and quite how rough a ride the potholes make it!).

The highlight of the short "sprint round town" had to be coming back in
on the A7. A volvo was in the peak time bus lane doing about 30mph, and
as I accelerated towards him I realised that I could quite easily do
more. I checked behind... pulled out... and passed him at about 37mph.
Checked the inside and pulled back in. The maneouver was witnessed by a
couple of blokes in a bus stop who found the whole thing hilarious. I
rode the adrenaline rush back home.

If only I wasn't expecting visitors, I'd go for decent trek in the
country. Anyone else managed to take advantage of the lovely weather?

Jon

P.S. If it was you driving the red volvo... sorry... I couldn't resist
it!
Old April 24th 04, 04:32 PM
Geoff Pearson

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote in message
[...]

I hope it lasts - I'm off round the Esk and out to Dalkeith at 0600
tomorrow. I cleaned and oiled everything this afternoon.

Old April 24th 04, 04:37 PM
Simon Mason

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote in message
The highlight of the short "sprint round town" had to be coming back in
on the A7. A volvo was in the peak time bus lane doing about 30mph, and
as I accelerated towards him I realised that I could quite easily do
more. I checked behind... pulled out... and passed him at about 37mph.
Checked the inside and pulled back in. The maneouver was witnessed by a
couple of blokes in a bus stop who found the whole thing hilarious. I
rode the adrenaline rush back home.

Was this on the flat? I have been at work today but I took the Fondriest
and a brand new Magnum lock which was a b***** to carry as it nearly weighed
as much as the bike, but now it means I can safely leave it attached to the
site fence, despite the fact that I was threatened with removal by security
the other day. Obviously one bike in a car park of 600 cars is an
obstruction! I only managed 24 mph on the flat in still wind.
--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old April 24th 04, 04:45 PM
Jon Senior

Simon Mason opined the following...
Was this on the flat?

Christ no! The A7 coming back in is a steady descent. On a comparitive
road leaving the city I managed to average a lowly 12mph. On the flat,
in an all out sprint I can currently get the bike to just shy of 30mph,
but I'm not sure how long I can sustain that. City riding tends to be
short hops between junctions and this has seriously affected my riding
style. I used to be good at distance stuff, but these days I need a
pacer to ensure that I don't just set off flat out and run out of oomph
after 10 miles!

I have been at work today but I took the Fondriest
and a brand new Magnum lock which was a b***** to carry as it nearly weighed
as much as the bike, but now it means I can safely leave it attached to the
site fence, despite the fact that I was threatened with removal by security
the other day. Obviously one bike in a car park of 600 cars is an
obstruction! I only managed 24 mph on the flat in still wind.

When collecting some tickets for the festival last year, my friend
locked his bike to a set of railings with a "No bikes" notice. An
attendant for the ticket office told him to remove it, or the police
would be called. Knowing that he'd only be a few minutes my friend
wandered in, collected his tickets and was just unlocking his bike when
the copper turned up. "Alright mate" said the PC, "nice bike". The two
of them then proceeded to discuss road bikes for 5 minutes, much to the
annoyment of the attendant who was watching the whole thing.

The policeman admitted that he had no tools with him to remove it, and
that it would probably be a while before anyone had turned up and
managed to cut through the lock. "Just try not to do it too often" was
the advice!

Jon
Old April 24th 04, 06:10 PM
Tony Raven

Jon Senior wrote:

A volvo was in the peak time bus lane doing about 30mph, and
as I accelerated towards him I realised that I could quite easily do
more. I checked behind... pulled out... and passed him at about 37mph.
Checked the inside and pulled back in.

Impressive speed for a fixed. What was your cadence then?

Tony

Old April 24th 04, 07:52 PM
Simonb

Jon Senior wrote:

Anyone else managed to take advantage of the lovely weather?

I was signed up for a 300km Audax today. Unfortunately I've had a bad
stomach all week and didn't fancy 300km without the luxury of a toilet!

I did get out for a 100km ride in the New Forest to Keyhaven via Exbury and
Calshot, though, and met quite a few of the Audaxers I would've been riding
with. I'd still be riding now if I were on the Audax -- with another 3 hours
to go!

Old April 24th 04, 08:52 PM
congokid

In message , Jon Senior
writes

Anyone else managed to take advantage of the lovely weather?

I took a trip to the post office (with a parcel for an ebay buyer -
squash shoes that I'd won in a competition but hadn't used) and it was
so nice I decided to head for Soho.

Bought a personal stereo on Tottenham Court Road.

Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and Brompton Cemetery on the way home.

All wonderful.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old April 24th 04, 09:33 PM

John Hearns writes:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:37:34 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

Was this on the flat? I have been at work today but I took the Fondriest
and a brand new Magnum lock which was a b***** to carry as it nearly weighed
as much as the bike,

Me too. After the Cycling+ test I got a Magnum lock, and am quite
impressed with it. but it does weigh a ton.

What do other people do for day rides? I suppose never let the bike out
of your sight!

I ordered one from Wiggle - I was expecting some form of device for it
to be carried on the bike, but there wasn't one. How are you carrying
it?

David
Old April 24th 04, 09:40 PM
Pete Biggs

Anyone else managed to take advantage of the lovely weather?

Yep, 52 sunny miles late this afternoon. I was silly carrying an extra
jersey and gilet, though. I had no idea it would be /this/ warm! Global
warming? More please!

~PB