New Frameset - Neener, neener, neeeener.

Old July 28th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default New Frameset - Neener, neener, neeeener.

Saturday I suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous public transportation - Bay Area Rapid Transit was all screwed up with their fare machines that instead of recharging my Senior Citizen card issued me a new "normal" double the senior fare card. I guess it didn't help that I did 20 Km at 17-20 mph before starting out.

Then getting to San Francisco figuring out the ferry boat system was a rather major job and I finally figured it out and got to Sausalito where I captured an almost off the shelf Lemond Zurich for $275.

Back on the ferry carrying the frameset a Mexican tourist and his wife started talking to me about the Tour de France. These people identify not as Mexicans but as Hispanics so Egan Bernal's win is a win for the entire Mexico and south Spanish speaking people.

Finally got home and weighed the frameset against my Basso Loto which was the end of the line for that - the maximum steel bike from Basso with custom tubing etc. The Lemond weighs .7 lbs less but part of that is the carbon fiber fork. The frame is Reynolds 831 oversize. The Lemond threadless 1 1/8" fork has a steel top uncut.

We'll see how it turns out. I will sell the Pinarello Stelvio frame which also uses oversize tubing custom made to Pinarello specifications. While I like it, I simply am out of room and I love the way the Basso rides and intend to refinish it. Someone gave me a 64 cm Pinarello standard that I have to sell as well. I also have to get my oldest step-daughter's bike back to her. It now is in perfect riding condition with a replaced rear derailleur, new Concor woman's saddle, new chain, new brake pads on Campy Super Record brakes that were cleaned up, a new headset and new bar tape. It has downtube shifters, indexed, but with a six speed there's no point in changing to a seven speed brifter setup.

I'm having fun - what about you?
Old July 29th 19, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:24:57 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Well it was blistering hot here last week. Record temperature of 41 C. I wanted to start early on my day off last friday but I had a dentist appointment first so I|started my ride at 9.30 am. Did 75 km and at the end of my ride it was 38 C. F*cking hell it was like breathing hot air. Still averaged 31 km/hr but I was glad I was home and watched the TdF stage in my air conditioned bedroom. Temperatures are back to normal thank god.

Lou
Old July 29th 19, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 29/07/2019 4:39 a.m., wrote:
[...]

It's been warmer than normal here as well. Did a hilly 85k yesterday
and had to fit it in between to rounds of severe thunderstorms.
Temperature was only 34C but with a "humidex" of 44. Barely managed an
avg of 28 but the first 45km had a head wind of 40.
Old July 29th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 1:39:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I did short mileage yesterday -- maybe 55K, but it was about 90F and all between 4,5000 and 7,500 feet elevation in Salt Lake. My son and I were going to do something epic, but instead he slept in, and we did something semi-epic later in the morning after it started heating up. We went up Mill Creek Canyon and then Porter Fork Road which is a little over a mile and a half of average 11-12%. Basically a paved, twisting forest trail with some cabins. https://tinyurl.com/y2hse8wk I don't know what the maximum grade was -- probably 20%. I stalled out on one pitch and practically fell over. The descent was miserable because of the narrow road and hikers, but it was super pretty. SLC can get wickedly hot, but if you get up into the canyons and under the trees, its nice -- still hot for someone from cool Portland, but manageable.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 29th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 6:59:35 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I did Stage Rd. a couple of weeks ago. That runs from Pescadero south of Half Moon Bay which is almost due west of San Mateo. It was only 15 miles round trip but at a rolling 6% with 7% on the turns of which there were a lot. It was only 15 miles but close to 2,000 feet of climbing. My friend from Phoenix is coming out next year so I look for another ride in that area and discovered what appears to be a 30 mile ride with probably 3,000 feet of climbing. I mentioned it to him and got the run-around since now that he has been living in pool table flat Phoenix he has an allergy to climbing.
Old July 29th 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 29/07/2019 9:59 a.m., jbeattie wrote:
[...]

~2500 meters over 55k with grades 20% sounds pretty epic to me. I did
about 800 meters yesterday over 85k and was beat.
Old July 29th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 10:32:45 PM UTC+2, duane wrote:
[...]

Ha... 110 meters over 75 km. The Netherlands are flatter.

Lou
Old July 29th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-7, duane wrote:
[...]

Hold the presses, I was riding at elevations between 4500 and 7500. I gained 3K and some change. Our hotel in SLC is on the University campus is probably 4800 feet or so. That's where we started.

On the weekends, the canyons are like ant trails of lycra clad cyclists, including a large contingent of serious racers, some national and world class.. Peter Sagan trains a lot in Park City and thrills the locals by riding with them, at least for so long as he lets them. My son's housemate is a cycling phenom who won the U23 short track nationals while we were out riding on Saturday. With all the mountains, even the poseurs are in good shape. It's not the legion of old dudes with bellies you see in Portland.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ad: BH G2 Frameset! xavier Marketplace 0 February 17th 06 07:07 PM
FS-Last Nobilette frameset Qui si parla Campagnolo Marketplace 0 April 12th 05 02:10 PM
FA:Abici Frameset Bikeeron Marketplace 0 January 10th 05 10:49 AM
What's this frameset worth? Paul Southworth Marketplace 2 April 21st 04 07:53 PM
SWB frameset 200$ Guy Bouchard Recumbent Biking 3 December 11th 03 05:07 PM