Bike fit for the comfort/utility/trekking/city-sports bike

Old January 24th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Default Bike fit for the comfort/utility/trekking/city-sports bike

Op 24-1-2010 19:51, Andre Jute schreef:
On Jan 24, 5:58 pm, Lou wrote:

There are all sorts of bikes for all kinds of riding and/or usage. No
point in getting religious about one kind of bike and disregard the
others. Limit yourself to one kind of bike(riding)is a loss. I enjoyed
last weeks rides on:
- my commuter bike to work and to the stores,
- my evening rides on my singlespeed,
- my off road ride on my Rohloff equipped hardtail ATB,
- my ride on my semi ATB/roadbike,
- and the ride this morning on my FS ATB off road.

Only my true roadbikes stay inside during the winter.

Lou

If I had as many bikes as you, Lou, I'd be embarrassed to ride each
one so little. Bikes have feelings too. Just ask Chalo; he knows how
to get in touch with the inner bike. -- AJ

I kept track of the mileage of each bike except the commuter bike in 2009:

Canyon Nerve XC (FS ATB) 887 km
Santos Rohloff (hardtail ATB) 586 km
Litespeed Classic (bad weather roadbike) 1302 km
Canyon Ultimate Al (workhorse roadbike) 3338 km
Scott CR1 (climbing roadbike) 1977 km
Morati (in between ATB and roadbike) 1636 km
Litespeed Singlespeed (winterbike) 1265 km

I think the only bike who must felt neglected was the Rohloff bike but
hé I'm not a hardcore ATB'er and we have had pretty good wether last year.

Lou
Old January 24th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jan 24, 8:03*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 24-1-2010 19:51, Andre Jute schreef:

If I had as many bikes as you, Lou, I'd be embarrassed to ride each
one so little. Bikes have feelings too. Just ask Chalo; he knows how
to get in touch with the inner bike. -- AJ

I kept track of the mileage of each bike except the commuter bike in 2009:

Canyon Nerve XC (FS ATB) * * * * * * * * * * * * *887 km
Santos Rohloff (hardtail ATB) * * * * * * * * * * 586 km
Litespeed Classic (bad weather roadbike) * * * * 1302 km
Canyon Ultimate Al (workhorse roadbike) * * * * *3338 km
Scott CR1 (climbing roadbike) * * * * * * * * * *1977 km
Morati (in between ATB and roadbike) * * * * * * 1636 km
Litespeed Singlespeed (winterbike) * * * * * * * 1265 km

Such a mileage, when you're not even counting daily commuting, really
puts my 2227km in perspective... I make it 10991km you rode before
accounting for commuting. Wow! I expect that with commuting each of
your bikes on average went further than mine.

Why is the singlespeed a winterbike? I mean, is there some reason in
winter to prefer a singlespeed, or was it just that you needed a
winter bike and didn't yet have a singlespeed in your collection (or
vice versa, of course)?

I think the only bike who must felt neglected was the Rohloff bike but
h I'm not a hardcore ATB'er and we have had pretty good wether last year.

The only decent thing to do is to send it to me, where at least it can
cohabit with the Rohloff in my Kranich, and gossip about slack
owners...

Andre Jute
Ever so helpful!
Old January 24th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
I don't understand why every discussion of recumbents turns in to some
sort of recumbent versus DF jihad. Those people who want recumbents
can get them -- in fact, we have an (almost) recumbent only store in
PDX. It looks like recumbent sales have been a little slow for the
last 75 years (probably because of the crushing UCI ban), but who
knows, maybe recumbents willl take off soon because of their obvious
superiority. -- Jay Beattie.

For every "recumbent evangelist" that annoys Jobst out on the road,
there are hundreds of upright cyclists who will make unsolicited snarky
remarks. Of course, the best way to deal with snarky remarks is to be
fast but hard of hearing.

Furthermore, almost all recumbent riders started out on uprights, while
very few upright riders have extensive recumbent riding experience.
Therefore, the comments of one group on the others' cycles are generally
much more accurate than the other way around.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 24th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 24 Jan, 21:28, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Duh, caus yer can use all the gears on every ride.

Old January 24th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 24-1-2010 22:28, Andre Jute schreef:
On Jan 24, 8:03 pm, Lou wrote:
[...]

During the winter I have to ride in the dark after work. Most of the
times the roads are wet and often they throw lots of salt on the
bikepaths so I need a bike which needs a minimum of maintenance and
cleaning. I put together a bike that meets those specifications. Nothing
can rust on that bike, no cables (only one hydraulic diskbrake),
derailleurs and shifters to worry about and DT240 hubs that can take a
lot of abuse. I live in a flat country where one gear can be enough. The
wind is the only thing that can be a problem. Speed is not important for
me in the winter, 26-27 km/hr average will do. Riding twice a week in
the dark for 1-2 hrs keeps me from slipping in a winterdepression ;-) I
really enjoy it because it's so quiet on the road and with a full moon
shining on the river Maas it beats sitting on the couch eating chips and
watching some dumb TV program by far. In the weekend it's ATB time.

Lou
Old January 24th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 24, 3:28*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Why is the singlespeed a winterbike? I mean, is there some reason in
winter to prefer a singlespeed, or was it just that you needed a
winter bike and didn't yet have a singlespeed in your collection (or
vice versa, of course)?

Single speeds are simple and reliable. No maintenance necessary. No
cleaning necessary. No chain oiling is also possible. If there is
not much climbing on your commute, they make the most sense. No worry
about sitting outside in the rain or riding in the rain. Or snow.

In prior years I commuted with a touring bike. 7 speed rear
cassette. I had problems with the hub body freezing up and
freewheeling in both directions. I replaced the freehub body this
year and that may have solved the problem. But I did not want to take
any chances so I converted my junker road single speed to take my
700Cx35mm Schwalbe studded tires. New fork with cantilever bosses.
Rear has long chainstays (27" wheel frame) and long dropouts so no
problem fitting 35mm tire in the rear. And I bought a fixed cog to
put on the other side of the hub just in case. So if my single speed
freewheel freezes up and fails to work, I can just flip the wheel and
ride fixed. Fixed can't fail.
Old January 24th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 24, 2:00*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
[...]

I owned a recumbent -- actually, I bought it for my wife because she
has a neuromuscular disorder that limits her ability to ride a DF
bike. She didn't like it, but she is not much of a data point because
of her personal issues. I didn't like it because it hurt my back. I
need to be able to stand up and stretch, and staying seated all the
time drives me crazy. Recumbents are supposed to be good for people
with bad backs, but it had the opposite effect on me. It also climbed
like a pig -- a really big fat pregnant pig with swine flu.

If someone told me to go out and set a flat land speed record on an
OTC bike, I would definitely get something like this:
http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm But under no
circumstances would I ride it around town -- not unless it was ordered
as part of a criminal sentence or work-release program. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 24th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 24, 2:00 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
[...]

I just wasted a perfectly good mouthful of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout (it
is winter, after all) by irrigating my sinuses with it. Thanks a lot!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 24th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 24, 2:00 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
[...]

Hey, I resemble that remark!

But under no
circumstances would I ride it around town -- not unless it was ordered
as part of a criminal sentence or work-release program. -- Jay Beattie.

I just wasted a perfectly good mouthful of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout (it
is winter, after all) by irrigating my sinuses with it. Thanks a lot!

And you don't find the humor in a bunch of straight men riding in an
upright paceline being forced to look at each others' Lycra™ covered
buttocks?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 25th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 24, 2:00 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
[...]

I used to swim competitively. I got over clothing (or lack thereof)
embarrassment or any weird possible orientation identity issues well
before I graduated from high school. If anyone is at all excited by
looking at my hairy white butt wrapped in spandex, all I can say is "go me."

Now coed swim meets introduced a whole 'nother set of issues...

nate