off road or on road tyre

Old July 20th 04, 10:28 PM
Skunk

Default off road or on road tyre

I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but hardly
use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I change it
to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road. The front tyre is okay
tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there any problems if
I run it with the original off road front tyre and an on road back
tyre?
Cheers for any advice.
I also bought a Dawes Giro road bike. I find it a struggle up some
hills - I live in a hilly area nr. Ilkley. I'm a not very fit forty
something. I guess the only thing I can really do is to get a new
chainset to make it easier, barring getting a whole lot fitter. I
wanted to buy a road bike for commuting but I'm not sure if the giro is
classed as a racer, a tourer, or an audax. I didn't really want a
racer but have never cycled a road bike before so don't know how the
giro would compare on the road with an audax/tourer type bike, and if I
should trade in to make life easier.

--
Skunk
Old July 20th 04, 10:41 PM
Velvet

Skunk wrote:

[...]

I have a dawes audax, and struggle on the hills ;-) I think the Giros
are classed as racers, the audax is a half and half - light tourer, or
racer if you take the mudguards etc off. Mine's got a triple on it, but
the cassette on the back doesn't go that low even with the triple, I
think a tourer like the dawes galaxy would go lower, but can't say for
sure. Even though it's not a racer, it looks like one, and goes like
one too - except up hills!

See if you've got the option to change the gearing on it - that's almost
certainly going to be cheaper than trading it in for another bike, and
you'll still have a really nice bike at the end of it too.

If you're commuting, if it's not got mudguards, look at putting some on,
to help keep the spray down in the wet ;-)

Dunno bout the tyres, can't help you there.

--

Velvet
Old July 20th 04, 10:47 PM
Fil

There's a range of Giro's depending on budget, but basically they're racers.
Tourer's typically have tripple chain rings and often mountain bike gearing
and would probably be more suitable of you're not mega fit and live in a
hilly area. The problem is, audax's and tourers are expensive new (ie you
can't get one under £500.00, and more likey a grand plus) so maybe a trip to
the local bike shop to get the chainset changed (if possible) is in order.

BTW, a good tourer is VERY comfy for long distances and regular commuting.
Don't be put off just because they appear similair in layout to a full
racer....

Old July 20th 04, 10:56 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Skunk wrote:
[...]

Fit slick tyres if you are doing road rides or hardpacked level off road
rides. Your ride will be transformed. You will be more comfortable with 2
slick tyres but one will be a good start.

Old July 20th 04, 11:01 PM
DSK

Skunk Wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't have thought that different tyres on the mountain bike
would have made a monumental difference, but if you are mainly riding
on the road/tarmac, it would be best to get something more orientated
towards that. The only thin I can think of is you changed the tyres as
you are thinnking about doing, is that the ride may feel different at
each end which may start to irritate you.

As for the hills, I have a road race type cycle and usually end up
having to dismount and walk the bike up the steeper hills and just push
myself for personal fitness/stupidity reasons to cycle at about 1mph up
others hills (when it'd be faster to walk). It gives me something to
work towards as the odd fully lycra claded rider tends to manage it
(albeit with signs of VERY hard work) leaving me astonished at their
dedication and fitness to be able to do it.

--
DSK
Old July 21st 04, 12:45 AM
Pete Biggs

Skunk wrote:
I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but
hardly use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I
change it to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road.

Schwalbe City Jet would be fine for you, I'm sure. It's also tough enough
for a bit of light off-roading.
- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300003751

The front
tyre is okay tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there
any problems if I run it with the original off road front tyre and an
on road back tyre?

The two tyres don't have to match but it would be good to have both
suitable for the road.

Cheers for any advice.
I also bought a Dawes Giro road bike.

Which model? 300, 500, etc? And year?

I find it a struggle up some
hills - I live in a hilly area nr. Ilkley. I'm a not very fit forty
something. I guess the only thing I can really do is to get a new
chainset to make it easier, barring getting a whole lot fitter. I
wanted to buy a road bike for commuting but I'm not sure if the giro
is classed as a racer, a tourer, or an audax. I didn't really want a
racer but have never cycled a road bike before so don't know how the
giro would compare on the road with an audax/tourer type bike, and if
I should trade in to make life easier.

You've already got the mountain bike you can use for the more practical
purposes so it'd be a shame to give up on the road bike too easily. Lower
gears will certainly make a big difference.

I assume the Giro is a model with a double chainset. It'll be worth
changing the rear sprockets first if the largest cog is smaller than 27
teeth, then perhaps you might like a "compact" double chainset that can
take smaller chainrings. A triple chainset would be an option but
probably not a cheap one.

If you do already have a triple then the inner ring could be changed for a
smaller one.

~PB

Old July 21st 04, 12:27 PM
iarocu

Skunk wrote in message ...
I have a second hand trek 6500 mountain bike. I love the bike but hardly
use it off road. The back tyre needs replacing. Could/Should I change it
to a road tyre if I'm hardly going off road. The front tyre is okay
tread wise(off road tyre). I am a bit skint, are there any problems if
I run it with the original off road front tyre and an on road back
tyre?

Try a Continental Top Touring 26x1.75 on the back. A fast rolling tyre
with a slight inverted tread which will copew with mild off road but
be noticably faster than knobblies.
Iain
Old July 21st 04, 12:38 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Pete Biggs wrote:
..............A triple chainset would be an
option but probably not a cheap one.

Spa Cycles are selling Stronglight Impact triples for £38 with a suitable BB
for £10. Perhaps as cheap as one would like but much cheaper than some
triples.

Old July 21st 04, 01:06 PM
Pete Biggs

Martin 'MSeries' Newstead wrote:
Spa Cycles are selling Stronglight Impact triples for £38 with a
suitable BB for £10. Perhaps as cheap as one would like but much
cheaper than some triples.

How about the shifters: would the STIs on the Dawes Giro 500 be triple
compatible? (I never remember with Shimanos).

Also there's the derailleurs to take into account.

~PB

Road Tyre Size TJ UK 5 June 11th 04 08:13 PM
Spring ride in the Sierra [email protected] Rides 1 June 2nd 04 08:01 PM
Spring ride in the Sierra [email protected] Rides 0 May 27th 04 02:59 PM
Tyre size, road bike Rory UK 3 July 23rd 03 05:30 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM