breathing on climbs

Old July 4th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default breathing on climbs

wrote:
You are making this up as you write it seems. It reminds me of the
rider who suggested holding your breath helps increase speed. If you
witness the best riders in hill climbs, you'll see they are breathing
hard enough to hear them from the sidelines. It takes hard training
to achieve this sort of ability for longer hills. No tricks can get
you there.

when you are training with weights you are to "exhale" during the most
strenuous portion of the movement - simple thing is when doing bench
press, exhale on the upward movement of the bar/dumbbells.

i think the question is: is there something similar in cycling ?? I
understand one is supposed to pedal in circles - meaning constant
effort. but somehow i tend to think they may be an involuntary thing
that is going on - with respect to the breathing pattern...

if breathing pattern is key in other aerobic exercises, how is cycling
different ?

my 2cents,
+ravi
Old July 4th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ravi Toravir writes:

You are making this up as you write it seems. It reminds me of the
rider who suggested holding your breath helps increase speed. If
you witness the best riders in hill climbs, you'll see they are
breathing hard enough to hear them from the sidelines. It takes
hard training to achieve this sort of ability for longer hills. No
tricks can get you there.

When you are training with weights you are to "exhale" during the
most strenuous portion of the movement - simple thing is when doing
bench press, exhale on the upward movement of the bar/dumbbells.

Don't confuse anaerobic with aerobic performance.

I think the question is: is there something similar in cycling? I
understand one is supposed to pedal in circles - meaning constant
effort. But somehow I tend to think they may be an involuntary
thing that is going on - with respect to the breathing pattern.

Lets not get style confused with physical work. As I mentioned, the
ankling folks waxed endlessly about it with no results. Fortunately
the subject has passed into history for bicycling.

If breathing pattern is key in other aerobic exercises, how is
cycling different ?

Technique is not the answer. Plain heavy breathing, large lung volume
and well developed muscles make the best bicycle performance. Knowing
how to handle a bicycle can be learned but power output cannot be made
of poor physical material. Not all people are suitable for endurance
sports. Road bicycling is an endurance sport.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 4th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Ravi Toravir writes:

[...]

Back to what I said earlier, practice taking huge breathes and expanding
your lung capacity, and don't "Doggy pant.". Half lung panting makes you
suck back more of that CO2 you want to get rid of. If you do this you
will wind up with an expanded rib cage and more lung volume.
A full lung inhale / exhale cycle is more efficient but you have to work
at it. In about 5 years of doing this my rib cage has expanded to where
some of my old shirts don't fit, especially after I try to take a deep
breath. They used to call the condition "Barrel chested." as it was a
sign of actual breathing disorders. I just think that as your legs grow
and your heart grows that encouraging your lungs to grow too is only
logical.
Bill Baka
Old July 4th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

di wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:
Ravi Toravir writes:

Back to what I said earlier, practice taking huge breathes and expanding
your lung capacity, and don't "Doggy pant.". Half lung panting makes you
suck back more of that CO2 you want to get rid of. If you do this you will
wind up with an expanded rib cage and more lung volume.
A full lung inhale / exhale cycle is more efficient but you have to work
at it. In about 5 years of doing this my rib cage has expanded to where
some of my old shirts don't fit, especially after I try to take a deep
breath. They used to call the condition "Barrel chested." as it was a sign
of actual breathing disorders. I just think that as your legs grow and
your heart grows that encouraging your lungs to grow too is only logical.
Bill Baka

My old shirts don't fit anymore either, but it's not from deep breathing.

I can relate to that too. I got down to racing weight last year and from
the waist down I was solid leg muscle, but on top I looked like a POW. I
think my body fat was well below 5% and you could definitely count my
ribs like an anorexic, but I was in great shape and felt good too. The
problem is that I am 57 and the neighbors all thought I was dying of
cancer or something and my wife said that one had asked her if she feeds
me or bothers to cook. Since my wife took that as an insult she insisted
I gain back about 20 pounds. Now I gained 40 and have to start all over
to get to a good point.
Ya can't win em all.
Bill Baka
Old July 5th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bill Baka writes:

[...]

Panting is not an optional method of breathing but one that is forced
upon a person who is out of breath. From Where do you imagine the CO2
is coming that is getting recirculated? You cannot expand lung volume
by breathing, only its efficiency. You're making this up as you type.

A full lung inhale/exhale cycle is more efficient but you have to
work at it. In about 5 years of doing this my rib cage has expanded
to where some of my old shirts don't fit, especially after I try to
take a deep breath. They used to call the condition "Barrel
chested" as it was a sign of actual breathing disorders. I just
think that as your legs grow and your heart grows that encouraging
your lungs to grow too is only logical.

Legs, heart and lungs grow? Give me a break!

Excuses. You are just getting fat. I suppose you believe that you
also weigh the same as before "breathing deeply."

Jobst Brandt
Old July 5th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Bill Baka writes:
Back to what I said earlier, practice taking huge breathes and
expanding your lung capacity, and don't "Doggy pant.". Half lung
panting makes you suck back more of that CO2 you want to get rid
of. If you do this you will wind up with an expanded rib cage and
more lung volume.

Panting is not an optional method of breathing but one that is forced
upon a person who is out of breath. From Where do you imagine the CO2
is coming that is getting recirculated? You cannot expand lung volume
by breathing, only its efficiency. You're making this up as you type.

Jobst,
I have you on this one. My rib cage HAS definitely expanded since I
started doing really deep breathing exercises. Even when I am at home
doing nothing sometimes I will inhale as much as physically possible and
hold my breath for up to 3 minutes and change. The CO2 I mentioned being
recirculated is the small amount that stays in the windpipe regardless
of the inhale / exhale volume. That is just plain math, volume of lung
intake and volume of airway. Look up Barrel chested, then say something.
Once you realize I am not BS'ing on this you might have a different opinion.

A full lung inhale/exhale cycle is more efficient but you have to
work at it. In about 5 years of doing this my rib cage has expanded
to where some of my old shirts don't fit, especially after I try to
take a deep breath. They used to call the condition "Barrel
chested" as it was a sign of actual breathing disorders. I just
think that as your legs grow and your heart grows that encouraging
your lungs to grow too is only logical.

Legs, heart and lungs grow? Give me a break!

For a Stanford Alumni your aren't too bright I see. Your leg muscles
obviously grow, quads most noticeably, your heart grows larger, a
condition known as "Athlete's heart.", and you can make your lungs grow
by the discipline of deep breathing. Most of my enlargement was due to
total boredom driving a car to and from work, 150 miles each way on
Monday and Friday. I would just inhale to the bursting point and hold my
breath almost to seeing stars. Now I can hold my breath long enough to
get past a few hundred yards of stinky cattle ranch or tractor dust when
I need to.

Excuses. You are just getting fat.

Wife and relative problems, seriously, plus lousy riding weather.

I suppose you believe that you
also weigh the same as before "breathing deeply."

That has nothing to do with it, but weight independent I can swim
underwater for a lot longer distance than I could 5 years ago.

Jobst Brandt

put me down on this, because you are at an intellectual loss on this
one. Pick on Dolan, that you might win. You have just convinced me that
a Stanford background does not make up for a basic lack of understanding.
Sorry, you lose.
I was getting fat, now I am going back down to try to find that spot
that I feel good and my wife and kids won't rag on me.
Bill Baka
Old July 5th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I have recently develped asthma, and would often find myself short of
breath when climbing. I found that breathing with my stomach and
conciously breathing out as much air as I can makes my breathing more
efficient.

It may have something to do with the oxygen uptake in the lungs: it
takes time to reach the equillibrium between the oxygen in the air and
the oxygen in the blood, and breating slower may help reach that
equillibrium (Carnot cycle?) Shallow, rapid bretahing just causes one's
airways to constrict and makes things worse.

Old July 5th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bill wrote: {much delicious snipping}

... you can make your lungs grow by the discipline of deep breathing. Most
of my enlargement was due to
total boredom driving a car to and from work, 150 miles each way on
Monday and Friday. I would just inhale to the bursting point and hold
my breath almost to seeing stars.

And Bill wonders why cops hassle him! LOL

Officer A: Hey, looks like we got a /really/ loaded driver up ahead.

Officer B: Nah, that's just ol' Iron Bill drivin' to work and holdin' his
breath to the point of passing out.

Good stuff, Ernest T. Good stuff...

Old July 5th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Do it.

THINK ABOUT YOUR BREATHING Kevin Costner Racing 7 August 25th 05 02:20 PM
Rugby TheoELind Unicycling 21 December 26th 04 07:20 PM
video clips of some cobbled climbs Phil UK 3 October 15th 03 03:09 PM
TDF - how does it work? bigbrian UK 12 July 15th 03 06:22 PM