buying new bike

Old July 10th 04, 03:28 AM
DLCRCF

Default buying new bike

Hello
I'm looking to buy a new bike for my daughter. She's 12 and about 5 foot tall.
She won't be getting much taller. I'm thinking of buying a Giant Boulder womens
frame17inch as my older daughter has one and is happy with it. We mostly ride
on hardpack or paved trails with some rougher areas. Any suggestions for other
bikes? Any things I should consider? Thanks.
Dan

PS my apologies to those concerned for highjacking an earlier thread.
Old July 10th 04, 05:19 AM
S o r n i

DLCRCF wrote:
Hello
I'm looking to buy a new bike for my daughter. She's 12 and about 5
foot tall. She won't be getting much taller. I'm thinking of buying a
Giant Boulder womens frame17inch as my older daughter has one and is
happy with it. We mostly ride on hardpack or paved trails with some
rougher areas. Any suggestions for other bikes? Any things I should
consider? Thanks.

How do you know she won't get any taller? AND, if not, then a 17" frame
sounds /way/ too big for someone 5' tall.

Bill "visit some bike shops" S.

Old July 10th 04, 05:50 PM
the black rose

S o r n i wrote:
How do you know she won't get any taller? AND, if not, then a 17" frame
sounds /way/ too big for someone 5' tall.

De-lurking to respond.

I'm female and I've been 5' 2" since I was 12 years old. It's not that
unusual for a short girl to be at her adult height by age 13 (tall girls
are a different story). It's certainly possible for this girl to have
pretty much done her growing.

About the frame size. Granted I'm 2" taller than the girl in question,
but I'm using a bike with a 16" frame and I've got a *lot* of standover
room. I think a 17.5"/44cm would be comfortable if it were a feminine
model with a shortened top tube. Might be a touch big for a girl 2"
shorter than me, depending on how leggy she is, but not a way lot. It
does seem likely she'd need a 16" frame though.

*diving back into lurking mode*

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 11th 04, 02:06 AM
DLCRCF

S o r n i wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded.I would get a womens frame. I feel that tough the
frame may be a bit tall now she can handle it and if I get a smaller frame (
14inch) and she sprouts up the bike will be too small and could be too short if
the torso gets much longer.

Dan

PS Nice quilts Blackrose!