Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 31st 05, 06:32 AM
Claire Petersky

Default Not able to ride ahead of the storm

Yesterday we had the weather pattern of showers and sun breaks. When I got
off work, pavement was dry, but the sun break was already starting to cloud
over, and the wind was coming from the south and a bit from the west. Home
is to the east and the north, and I was hoping to stay ahead of the front
moving in.

About five miles from home, the clouds were so dark I turned on my lights,
even though it was only about 4:30. Just a few minutes later, I felt the
first spatter of rain. In only a few moments, the rain was falling hard.
Within a mile, though, it slacked to the more familiar, gentle ticka-tacka
ticka-tacka. I thought maybe it would even stop, but just as I began the
final ascent of the ride, it picked up again, and then -- it started to
hail. The hail was small, but coming down hard. I could feel it bounce
around in the vents of my helmet. The lawns on the side of the road turned
white. Just as I hit the crest of the hill, it returned to a hard rain.
Nothing but the descent to the house left, I took it easy all the way down,
with the street gutters overflowing and the roads still slick from the hail.

When I stepped in the house, my first thought was to strip myself of all my
wet things. The gloves and shoes went on the heat vent to dry. I started the
hot water in the tub. I piled up the wet socks, jersey, shorts in the
laundry basket and hung up the dripping jacket. My thighs were bright red
and icy cold. I grabbed the New York Times crossword and a pen, and then
eased myself into the hot water to thaw out.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 22 November 17th 04 02:09 AM
54th Birthday Ride Olebiker Rides 0 November 15th 04 07:04 PM
TIMES UP BICYCLE RIDE (NYC) AND COMMUNITY GARDENING BASH!!! *Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! Recumbent Biking 0 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Hollywood, Music, Record Holders Gun for Chicago Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 January 26th 04 04:11 PM