Bike mirror

Old April 1st 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
archierob[_3_]

Default Bike mirror

Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops for a
detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have effectively
only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not so bad here as
we ride on the left but will be going to France in May to pal's
apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride on the
right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

Old April 1st 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ken[_4_]

"archierob" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops for a
detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have effectively
only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not so bad here as
we ride on the left but will be going to France in May to pal's
apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride on the
right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

If you wear a helmet take a look at a Reflex Cycleaware mirror. I keep mine
on the right when in France as it's fixed in relation to the eye you only
have to turn your head a fraction to scan the view behind. If you do buy one
fit a bit of fishing line between the mirror and the arm as the mirror can
be knocked off when not wearing the helmet.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...Mirror-687.htm

Ken

Old April 1st 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 01/04/2008 19:47, archierob said,
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops for a
detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have effectively
only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not so bad here as
we ride on the left but will be going to France in May to pal's
apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride on the
right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

Don't listen to anything anyone else says :-) you want this one
http://tinyurl.com/327t6g (links to SJSC) It fits over the brake hoods,
but still allows you to ride on the hood in comfort. I happened to have
a photo of it fitted, as you do:
http://www.pbhome.myzen.co.uk/ebaypics/bb_mirror.jpg Oh - it fits on
either side - in fact, technically it's designed to be fitted on the
left hood because the writing is the right way up then :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 1st 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Key[_5_]

archierob wrote:
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops for a
detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have effectively
only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not so bad here as
we ride on the left but will be going to France in May to pal's
apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride on the
right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

If by "ordinary" brake levers you mean non-low-profile (i.e. the cable
comes out of the top of the lever) then the legendary Mirrycle is THE
mirror to get. It leaves your bars free of clutter and unlike most
bar-end mirrors it can actually be positioned to show the view behind
you rather than a close-up of your arm/leg/stomach.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...evers)-685.htm

- or just Google for "mirrycle".

The only downside is that it requires a bit of faffing about to mount
it, possibly including taking a Stanley knife to the top of the brake
lever hood.
Old April 2nd 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brendan Halpin

Paul Boyd writes:

On 01/04/2008 19:47, archierob said,
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing
bike' ie dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3
eye ops for a detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op
have effectively only one eye. It is the left eye that is
affected - not so bad here as we ride on the left but will be
going to France in May to pal's apartment for my annual visit and
of course there they ride on the right, I am thinking that may be
a bit too dangerous.

Don't listen to anything anyone else says :-) you want this one
http://tinyurl.com/327t6g (links to SJSC) It fits over the brake
hoods, but still allows you to ride on the hood in comfort.

I have one and will say it's better than nothing but it isn't a patch on
the old Mirrycle Mirror that mounted on old fashioned brake levers (with
the cable coming out the top). It's hard to get in the right position,
and is next to useless if the road surface is anyway rough because it
vibrates. On the other hand, it fits with a velcro attachment, so it is
quite quick to switch to the left for riding in France, and there
doesn't seem to be anything better for drop bars.

If I were you I'd check out whether a helmet mirror set up for your good
eye will work for both sides of the road.

Brendan

--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
Old April 2nd 08, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message XbqdnTYTS7UjMG_anZ2dnUVZ8umdnZ2d@plusnet, Andy Key
writes
archierob wrote:
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike'
ie dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops
for a detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have
effectively only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not
so bad here as we ride on the left but will be going to France in May
to pal's apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride
on the right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

If by "ordinary" brake levers you mean non-low-profile (i.e. the cable
comes out of the top of the lever) then the legendary Mirrycle is THE
mirror to get. It leaves your bars free of clutter and unlike most
bar-end mirrors it can actually be positioned to show the view behind
you rather than a close-up of your arm/leg/stomach.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...ror-for-drop-b
ars-(mounts-on-NON-aero-brake-levers)-685.htm

- or just Google for "mirrycle".

Yeah that would be very much my preferred option.

I don't like helmet/glasses mounted mirrors.

I have heard that people have mounted Mirrycle on Aero levers by
drilling the top of the levers.
--
Chris French

Old April 2nd 08, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sam Salt

Paul Boyd wrote:
[...]

We have one of these on the tandem and yes they are very good but you
have to watch for the Velcroey bit slipping up the brake hoods and
fouling the STI mechanism.

This happened to us and I couldn't select gears properly and was all
ready to take it to the LBS to be repaired ( we were on holiday at the
time ) when The Stoker said " Are you sure it's not that bit of Velcro
thingy catching in it........."

"No dear of course its not"

Red face!!

Sam Salt

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080401-0, 01/04/2008
Tested on: 02/04/2008 09:49:27

Old April 2nd 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Sam Salt said the following on 02/04/2008 09:49:

We have one of these on the tandem and yes they are very good but you
have to watch for the Velcroey bit slipping up the brake hoods and
fouling the STI mechanism.

STI? Nothing that sophisticated on my commuter!! (Valid point though...)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 2nd 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Apr 1, 7:47*pm, "archierob" wrote:
Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers. Have had 3 eye ops for a
detached retina and until the 4th for a cataract op have effectively
only one eye. It is the left eye that is affected - not so bad here as
we ride on the left but will be going to France in May to pal's
apartment for my annual visit and of course there they ride on the
right, I am thinking that may be a bit too dangerous.

I've seen a few audaxers using bar end mirrors. You might want to
consider something like this. http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/product/
3574/Blackburn_Multi_mirror_bar_end

I've no idea how good that particular shop is but it does have the
advantage of not being Evans who come up first in the Google search.

--
Dave...
Old April 2nd 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kevin Harper

"archierob" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a bike mirror for a conventional 'racing bike' ie
dropped handlebars and ordinary brake levers.

Dunno if it helps, but I use one of these http://www.bike-eye.com/. I came
back to cycling last year after a long gap and in the intervening period my
hearing deteriorated to a level where I now have to wear a hearing aid in
each ear. My first time back on a bike scared me sh(w)itless because I
couldn't judge properly what was coming up behind me. Hearing aids are
great, but they do not fully replace the "depth" that natural hearing gives.
I knew I had to sort out some kind of "see-back-o-scope", but I wasn't
really happy about adding something to the handlebars which I could
perceivably catch or knock off (the hearing loss has affected my
coordination to a degree), so the bike eye seemed to fit the bill. In use,
it's absolutely brilliant for me and I'd be lost without it. And no, I have
stuff all to do with the company...in fact, I'd much rather not have to use
a mirror at all, but needs must.

HTH

Kevin the Lurker

Try All mirror rim bailingmarne Unicycling 1 June 14th 07 09:42 PM
Mirror Russell UK 48 March 16th 06 11:14 PM
Mirror, mirror, on the bar... SteppenW Australia 27 February 20th 06 02:35 AM
Italian road bike mirror official site Zilla Marketplace 2 October 1st 05 04:14 AM
Mirror? Nartker General 3 May 19th 04 06:41 AM