Exercise

Old July 10th 04, 07:39 AM
Payne

Default Exercise Part II

Hi,
well I would like to weigh in on the questions which you posed. A
little background about myself: I'm 47 yrs. old and have been
exercising for 11 yrs.
I have bursitis in both knees (beginning when I was 30) and arthritis
in my knees and akles. It got to the point where I couldn't even take
a short walk down the length of a mall. My doctor said not to run
anymore and keep walking to a minimum. God that ****ed me off.
What's with this defeatist attitude. Well I took my med's, massaged my
knees daily till the pain went away. Then I got to work and started
to strengthen the muscles around my knees and ankles. I can't run 5
miles like I used to but I can now run for 20 minutes with no pain. I
exercise regularly and I use a system which may help you by addressing
the issues you seek. I've got friends who are middle aged and over
who still run marathons 10K and up, and bycicle regularly for a
century.
Go get yourself some barbells and those rubber bands as well as those
poles that extend across door ways. go to the library, check out any
exercise books that show which muscles each exercise works and sit
down and write a list of exercises which form a complete full-body
workout system. Or you can visit www.fitrack.net and for 10$ get the
same thing in a small compact and easy to use exercise tracking
system. I use it and it works great for me and my wife.
Good luck friend.
Payne
Thad O wrote in message . ..
A while ago I asking for help in designing in an exercise program.
The responses ranged from awful to OK with nothing really great.
Some of the responses raised more questions. So I thought I would
repost my question. Clarifying it, and expanding on it.

I've also added misc.fitness.misc. After looking at the answers to
the questions, I realized that while the diabetes and bicycling were
a good place to ask my question, alone they were not able to provide
an overall perspective which I believe this group can provide.

But before I go on, there were a few answers which were... well
stupid. I'm tired of the people who post things which are
wrong ( in this case some were plain dangerous ). I guess some
guys have to make up for other... shortcomings, by pulling
a Cliff Claven act. So, before I get to my question I am
going to call those people on their stupidity. For those
who want to skip ahead, I will be marking the end of this
part by ===========.

Of the stupid claims, probably the most stupid claim is that
climbing stairs is the same exercise as using a stairmaster.
Aside from the fact that stairclimbing alone is not going
to promote *all around* fitness ( thus not answering my question,
just some garbage someone spews to show how *smart* they are ),
stairs are not the same as a ( high quality ) stairmaster. Any
orthopedist will tell you that stairs produce much more wear
and tear on the knees. Given that bicycling can also create
lots of wear and tear on the knees ( mostly for people whose
knees are already in bad shape ), this advice was especially
stupid. Hopefully people googling the original post will realize
just how stupid these poster are, before they blow out their knees.

The other stupid claim contends that upper body conditioning
is not useful in bicycling. Two arguments were used to
explain my upper body fatigue (when riding): gripping the handlebars
too tightly and a poor bicycle fit. Both stupid for simple
reasons.

Frankly I know that the fit if my bike is not as good as it
could be, because my body is misproportioned. But it is
as good as it is going to get ( mainly because I don't have
the time to get a custom fit ). I bought it from Turin Cycling,
one of the premier bicycling shops in the Chicagoland area.
They know how to fit a bike. I've been riding for 30 years.
I know how to fit a bike. Just before I bought the bike I
reviewed books and articles on fitting bikes to make sure
that I remembered things right.

As for gripping handlebars too tightly; I've been cycling for
thirty years. I know how to grip a bike. Not only do I have
all my experience ( once again 30 years ), but in that time
I did a lot of reading, talking to other cyclists, etc to
improve my form. From the way I have ridden in the past,
it seemed like I pretty much had it down, being able to
outride ( both in speed and distance ) most of my friends.

Fact is that bicycling requires but does not create upper
body strength. I checked out several books and they all
agree on this point. These books range from publications by
"Bicycling" to Eugene Sloane's "Complete Book of Bicycling".
The books are quite specific, the lion's share of your weight
is carried by your arms. Can't remember the number that they
gave as a percentage, but I would say that at least 60%
of your weight is on your arms. ( For those who don't know,
but are curious, that's because the more weight on your butt
the more impediment there is to smooth pedalling. I know not a
lot, but how much do you gain by shaving your legs? )

In the end, I believe that the idiots that put this forward,
are just plain lazy and don't want to do any upper body
conditioning. So instead they make excuses about why it's not
necessary. Even to those who are willing to do it.

===========

My question(s):

I used to go to a gym, but it turned out that I spent more
time driving to and fro then I did in the gym. Checking the
situation out, there are no gyms which are conveniently
located. I live in a group environment, so noisy equipment
is out, and since I have very very little room ( not enough
free room to do an exercise video ) a lot of equipment is
out.

On top of that, the last few years have been rough healthwise
so I need to basically start from the bottom. In particular,
I want to build up to the point where I can do much more
serious cycling again. Like going out and doing a century
( which means 100 miles in one day/trip ).

Another thing that I am looking for is balance (and
comprehensiveness). In the past I've eschewed balance and it
cost me. Ignore the Achilles's tendon and cause calf problems.
Ignore the ILTB ( though I really don't know how to not ignore
it ) and wind up with knee problems. So I'm looking for a
workout that will develop me in a balanced way.

To quote one book: "Fitness is many things to many people. To us
you are as fit as the weakest link in your fitness chain."

I gotten to the point where you have a rough idea of what I
want. Let me now state the main question that I am asking.

*** Can people recommend books/web sites/anything else that
will help me design an exercise plan that meets the above criteria,
plus a few other things below. ***

The things I expect such a plan to do is to enable me to
build up suppleness/flexibility, strength and endurance.

It should allow me to miss a few days.( As few as possible,
but when you get older, there are these things called jobs...)
It should also allow substitutions of exercises, ( So if I
can't do exercise 1 to work on a bicep because of injury, I do
exercise 29 instead. ) and create rotations ( where some muscles
are given a rest on some days ) so that I don't overexercise.

So now a few questions/comments on some of the more positive things
that came from my original post.

While I don't disagree with the general idea of doing Yoga, it
seems much of the time the exercises are just thrown out. I'm
looking for a plan ( comprehensive workout/with a good rotation
of exercises ). I suspect Tai Chi might be better for me though.

Someone suggested I get weights ( 1 -10 lbs ) or "straps"/bands. Can
someone talk about the advantages/disadvantages of weights vs bands?
For weights, which are preferable dumbells type weights, or the
kind that attach to your wrist/ankles?

A final comment. Someone recommended books written by Joyce Vendral.
I've checked out a couple in the library, and they seem to be more
focused to women. Also I'm a little put off by the way she spammed
some of her books on Amazon.

Thanks.

Old July 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Bob Anderson

On 9 Jul 2004 23:40:23 -0700, (Payne) wrote:

check out any
exercise books that show which muscles each exercise works and sit
down and write a list of exercises which form a complete full-body
workout system.

Teach Yourself Visually Weight Training
by maranGraphics Development Group

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846