Old BIANCHI + Shimano Adamas AX

Old January 29th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Old BIANCHI + Shimano Adamas AX

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 8:58:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 1:19:09 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:04:02 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:15:02 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
My friend would buy discs on a new racing bike, however, just because of resale and the direction of the market...

Wow. I don't think about resale when I buy anything, let alone bikes.

I certainly look for products that retain their value, but that doesn't mean I'm "churning" them. It just means I'm not buying crap that plummets in FMV the second I get it home or that can't be unloaded in the event of changed circumstances.

I suppose it makes sense if you're a person who likes to "churn"
your possessions. But that's not me.

Me neither, unless I smash a bike or one is stolen. I did sell my tandem and a couple of my wife's bikes when she became disabled. You never know when you might have to unload stuff, and you sure don't want to be selling crap nobody wants. Paying attention to what will retain its value is not a bad thing.

snip
You mention in passing that your wife became disabled...temporarily, I hope?
What happened, if you don't mind my asking?

Unfortunately, she has dystonia, a neuromuscular disorder akin to Parkinsons. She has electrodes implanted in her brain, and in fact, she is going in for surgery on Friday to get new pulse generators. Rechargeable this time so she doesn't have to get cut open every 2-3 years. http://callisto.ggsrv.com/imgsrv/Fas...Y01-IDSI-129-1

DBS has helped, but her condition is fairly severe. She can't ride a bike any more, which makes her really sad after being an avid cyclist and racer. She was my secret weapon on our tandem, otherwise known as the divorcycle because I had a tendency to push her too hard racing singles up hill. It's a real message when your stoker just stops pedaling.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 29th 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 29/01/2019 10:06 a.m., jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that Jay.

Old January 29th 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that Jay. I hope things turn out as well as they can.

Old January 29th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 07:06:12 -0800 (PST),
jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 8:58:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 1:19:09 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:

...I did sell my tandem and a couple of my wife's bikes when
she became disabled.

You mention in passing that your wife became
disabled...temporarily, I hope? What happened, if you don't
mind my asking?

Unfortunately, she has dystonia, a neuromuscular disorder akin
to Parkinsons. She has electrodes implanted in her brain, and
in fact, she is going in for surgery on Friday to get new pulse
generators.

Jay, so sorry to learn of this. Hope all goes well on Friday.

DBS has helped, but her condition is fairly severe. She can't
ride a bike any more, which makes her really sad after being an
avid cyclist and racer. She was my secret weapon on our
tandem...

My wife is a fantastic motor on our tandem. I can always tell
when she first spies a rider off in the distance ahead of us, as
the power goes up. But I resist teasing her about it.

...otherwise known as the divorcycle because I had a tendency
to push her too hard racing singles up hill. It's a real
message when your stoker just stops pedaling.

Ouch. My wife has told me that she almost quit going on a
particular club ride with me after having pushed to keep up with
average mph speeds in the low to mid 20s. I'm glad she didn't
give up entirely.

Thanks for sharing your situation. It must be sad for both of
you. If nothing else, it's a great reminder for me not to take
for granted the things I have with my wife.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 29th 19, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 2:15:38 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:15:02 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 7:09:21 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I took my old Bianchi bicycle that has Shimano Adamas AX brakes and derailleurs out for a ride on snow, brown slush and some bare spots roads today. One thing i noticed besides the positive braking of the brake calipers is that there's no freezing up of cables inside cable housing with these derailleurs. that's because there IS NO cable housing on them. I love it. This is a real Frankenbike as it has a Tiagra triple crankset but with just the inner 42 ring and the outer 52 ring. At the moment it has a 9-cog cassette and chain on it. The handlebar is a cut down and inverted drop bar with bar end brake levers. It's a very nice riding bike. Oh, it has 700C x 30mm knobby Schwalbe CX Pro tires on it.

I need to get to the hole in the wall bike shop out of town that has the old Adamas AX brake shoes. I want to have some for spares. It's amazing how well those ancient shoes and calipers work in stopping.

Cheers

I was riding on Saturday with a friend who has an older Pinarello with rim brakes, and I was on a Trek Emonda with rim brakes -- dry and overcast in the high 30sF, and he was going on about how he liked the modulation of his rim brakes on that bike better than any of his bikes -- including one with hydraulic discs. We both prefer discs in wet weather. Rim brakes are fine on dry weather bikes or any bike, really, although not as good as discs in wet weather, particularly with CF rims (if you have CF rims). My friend would buy discs on a new racing bike, however, just because of resale and the direction of the market -- and the fact that it does make CF rims an real options. This is where marketing kind of pushes choices.

-- Jay Beattie.

My brakes all work just fine with my metal rims even in the rain. Thus I DON'T NEED disc brake of any sort.

Cheers

Well, they really weren't designed for regular use. The reasoning for road bikes is that all the braking parts are replaceable so you can use carbon rims. The El Cheapo carbon fiber clinchers actually perform pretty good and if I had a bike that would fit disk brakes I'd probably run them.

Though remember I said that the full sized disks are WAY too powerful for a street or CX bike and you have to use the smallest diameter disks.
Old January 29th 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Pureheart in Aptos

-- Jay Beattie.

We used to do a ride down to Santa Cruz every year. Then the motels down there became far too expensive and we changed to Cqpitola. They became way over the line expensive and we started riding a round of a dozen or so to Aptos. Then they too got far too expensive. I sure as hell will not pay $250-$300 dollars for a night's sleep. Not to mention eating in the motel restaurant which was not cheap.
Old January 29th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/29/2019 10:06 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Wow. I'm sorry.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 29th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 7:06:15 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well, she will have my prayers that everything works out for the best possible conclusions.
Old January 29th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Your group rides in the low to mid-20's? Do you also all wear capes and large red S's on your jerseys? On the flats our group is about 17 mph.
Old January 29th 19, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thanks. We're all dodging bullets, and sometimes they land. You learn to accommodate. Anyway, enough of that. My wife dreaded some tandem rides, like being tasked by the zany self-described directeur sportif of one racing club to pace riders, mostly juniors, around Sauvie Island -- a local fresh water island with a 12 mile loop. We used to draft the team car, but we got busted twice by the Sheriff for "following too closely" -- so me and my wife had to drag race around the island towing the gooniors, usually for a lap and then we would get to sit in the pack and then ride home. I would bribe her with pizza on the way home. Wife bribes are a good thing.

-- Jay Beattie.