Road Racing Tires - Opinion Request

Old July 1st 04, 06:10 PM
Chris

Default Road Racing Tires - Opinion Request

"K. J. Papai" wrote in message
om...
"Churchill" wrote in message

om...
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I

go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I

know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand

before I
order them or go looking for them.

Fred: 700x28 (or even 25)
Cool: 700x23 (or 21 if you are 140lbs or smaller)

You're welcome.
Ken

Thank you

Fred: Among other things, thinks tire sizes are *somehow* related to
"coolness".

BTW, you would probably be better off using 25s for training but I guess you
are a bit too stupid to understand that. Are you not closer to 200 pounds
than you are to 150? Sheesh, go and look at what some of the pros use for
Flanders and Roubaix. I guess some of those guys including some past winners
are "Freds", huh? I guess you can ise your "cool" 23s if you never ride over
rough pavement. I thought you lived in San Francisco? I used to be based
there and I did most of my rides in Marin or down south to the Santa Cruz
mountain range, and I had to go over some really crap pavement. I used 23s
because at that time high performance 25s were not available (and I was
159 - 163). I ran them at about 95 psi on long rides and I wish I could have
gone a bit lower. Those 25s that are now available would have been perfect
and I would not have had to keep trying different sadlles looking for one
that would take the sting out of my Klein Quantum II on those long days.
BTW, the pavement in California is like glass compared to many European
roads and lots of other places in the US.

The first time I tried a 25, it was from a reboxed GP3000 that was supposed
to contain a 23. I did not notice until I got it mounted and it barely
looked any different. What was different though was the comfort I got from
running it at 90 psi over some of that crap pavement in the Santa Cruz
mountains and the surrounding areas. Now THAT is what is *cool*, things that
work right.

Old July 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Chris

"S o r n i" wrote in message
news
K. J. Papai wrote:
"Churchill" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type
tires. I go cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats
and hills. I know there are allot of tire companies out there, so I
could use a hand before I order them or go looking for them.

Fred: 700x28 (or even 25)
Cool: 700x23 (or 21 if you are 140lbs or smaller)

Fab???

Bill "have some uninstalled Veloflex Pave *22*s so must be REALLY cool" S.

They are really sweet tires. If you think they are too narrow, use them in
the front. They actually last a lot longer than you would think by the feel
of the relatively thin case. That is my favorite tire, not factoring in
their cost.

Old July 1st 04, 08:53 PM
Carl Sundquist

"K. J. Papai" wrote in message
om...
"Churchill" wrote in message

om...
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type tires. I

go
cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats and hills. I

know
there are allot of tire companies out there, so I could use a hand

before I
order them or go looking for them.

Fred: 700x28 (or even 25)
Cool: 700x23 (or 21 if you are 140lbs or smaller)

You're welcome.
Ken

Thank you

Quite the contrary:

700x25 or 28: I put in the miles to be a really good rider, so I prefer a
comfortable, easier rolling tire

Old July 1st 04, 11:26 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian wrote:
So, fred or cool?

if ya have to ask ..
--
david reuteler

Old July 2nd 04, 12:29 AM
Churchill

What do the better riders at the Tour de France use for tires on paved roads
?

Is there a brand-type and size that stands out as the most common ?

Perhaps, there is a webpage that someone has put together quantifying ?!

Old July 2nd 04, 12:53 AM
Chris Neary

What do the better riders at the Tour de France use for tires on paved roads
?

Whatever they get paid to use.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old July 2nd 04, 02:35 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:26:54 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:
I'd like to see a .jpg of your bike, Rick. Sounds neat. You might have
posted it but I missed it, or forgot the link.

Remind me tomorrow, and I might possibly remember. Nag me daily and
it will happen sooner or later.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
S o r n i

Chris wrote:
"S o r n i" wrote in message
news
K. J. Papai wrote:
"Churchill" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have a road bike with 700 X 28 tires.

I need new tires, what are u recommending for thin racing type
tires. I go cycling on Sundays with a club about 100 km both flats
and hills. I know there are allot of tire companies out there, so
I could use a hand before I order them or go looking for them.

Fred: 700x28 (or even 25)
Cool: 700x23 (or 21 if you are 140lbs or smaller)

Fab???

Bill "have some uninstalled Veloflex Pave *22*s so must be REALLY
cool" S.

They are really sweet tires. If you think they are too narrow, use
them in the front. They actually last a lot longer than you would
think by the feel of the relatively thin case. That is my favorite
tire, not factoring in their cost.

Bought 'em a long time ago, intending to install promptly. Then bought a
"light" wheelset (Velomax Ascent IIs) for...well, for SOME reason (I don't
race), which came with Michelin Races and lightwieght tubes. Since I ride
my Bonty Race Lites almost all the time, I've been using "normal" tires and
saving the "fancy" ones for the Velos. Which, since I hardly ever use 'em,
have almost-new Michelins on 'em still...which means my Veloflexes are still
in the box...which means...

What was the question?!?

Bill "hope they don't go bad (they're yellow, BTW)" S.

Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Narrow road tires for Clydesdales?.... smokey General 15 February 24th 04 01:26 PM
Good place to buy cheap, tough tires for road training? Boyd Speerschneider General 2 October 5th 03 01:44 PM
Road Tires Kegger General 1 August 4th 03 12:41 AM
3 MTB road tires to compare Warren Ginn General 0 July 31st 03 04:52 AM