Heart rate monitor -- fix or replace?

Old July 6th 04, 06:44 PM
Palookabutt

Default Heart rate monitor -- fix or replace?

I've got a Polar HRM which I bought about 4 years ago. The battery on
the chest strap went out this winter. According to the Polar
literature, I should be able to get the battery replaced for ~$10 if I
send the strap and the receiver off to the factory. I've seen
brand-new HRMs on sale for under $30, which is about what I spent for
this one.

Is it worth the effort to send my old one off? Has anyone done this?

TIA...
Old July 6th 04, 09:02 PM
Denver C. Fox

Well, I replaced the battery myslef on my Nashbar wrist unit - whcih you are
not supposed to be able to do on that particualr unit. Works fine. Is this a
possibility?

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old July 6th 04, 09:16 PM
Bill

"Palookabutt" wrote in message
om...
I've got a Polar HRM which I bought about 4 years ago. The battery on
the chest strap went out this winter. According to the Polar
literature, I should be able to get the battery replaced for ~$10 if I
send the strap and the receiver off to the factory. I've seen
brand-new HRMs on sale for under $30, which is about what I spent for
this one.

Is it worth the effort to send my old one off? Has anyone done this?

TIA...

$24.90 for sensor with trade in.
http://www.chponline.com/chpstore.as...Product&WCE=14
Bill

Old July 6th 04, 09:41 PM
Tommy Taylor

Is it worth the effort to send my old one off? Has anyone done this?

TIA...

Mine is 4 years old or more. I've sent the watch and transmitter back
several times for repairs and batteries. I'm very satisfied with their
service.

http://www.polarusa.com/service_repa...erinfo_con.asp

POLAR SERVICE PROCEDURE

The Polar standard tests and check procedures are performed by our service
technicians when all parts of the Polar Heart Rate Monitor are returned to
us for servicing. Service performed at an authorized Polar Service Center is
warranted for 90 days on repairs and 6 months for batteries.
The tests include the following elements:

TRANSMITTER

1.. Visual inspection
2.. Check of battery voltage
3.. Check of transmission range
4.. Check of electrode conductivity
5.. Wash and clean if necessary
RECEIVER
1.. Visual inspection
2.. Check of battery voltage
3.. Check of cleaning of case contacts
4.. Re-assembly, including seal renewal if necessary
5.. Water resistance test
6.. Operational tests
Top of Page

COMMON REPAIR CHARGES Receiver battery replacement: $10.00
Transmitter Trade-In (non-coded): $24.99
Transmitter Trade-In (coded): $34.99
Trade-In Elastic Strap: $3.00
Standard Shipping & Handling (U.S. Mail): $2.95

Print this Screen [Print] | [Close]
HOW TO GET YOUR POLAR HRM SERVICED

HOW TO GET YOUR POLAR HRM SERVICED

To be used when returning your Polar Heart Rate Monitor
for service. Please print this page, fill out the following information and
return with your complete unit. Be sure to ship unit in a way it can be
traced (i.e. UPS) NOTE: To expedite your repair, include Visa or Mastercard
number with expiration date authorizing charges to $59. If the repair cost
is less than $59, you will obviously only be charged the cost of repair. If
the repair cost is more than $59, we will contact you. All repairs come with
a 90 day warranty!

Customer's Name:_____________________________________

Customer's Address: __________________________________

__________________________________

City: _______________________State__________Zip________

Daytime Tel No:_______________________________________

E-mail Address: ______________________________________

Model: ______________________________________________
(See receiver lens)

Receiver Serial No: ____________________________________
(See backcover of the receiver case)

Transmitter Manufacturing Stamp:______________________
(See both ends of the Chest Belt Transmitter at the point
where the elastic strap connects; year and month, manufacturing code)

Package contents:
Transmitter _______

Receiver _______

Elastic strap _______

Checklist:
Proof of purchase enclosed: ____Yes
Have you gone through the 12 Point Check? ____Yes
Have you carried out a global reset if the model in
question has that feature and the problem still occurs?
_____Yes

Exact problem with the Polar Heart Rate Monitor:

* For Credit Card Use Only
Credit Card# __________________________________________

Exp. Date ____________________

Authority for work to be carried out up to the value of:
__________

I would like to have a price estimation before the
repair:____ Yes____No
(I realize it will delay the repair of my HRM)

Other messages or feedback to Polar:

Sending Instructions

a.. Pack the product carefully to avoid damage. A box is
recommended.
b.. Include all the parts of the Polar Heart Rate
Monitor. A full periodic check will be done on the whole product.
c.. Include proof of purchase (a receipt or its
photocopy) if the product is under warranty.
d.. Include a detailed description of the problem. Use
this return record.
e.. Include your name, return address and daytime
telephone number.
f.. Ship postage prepaid to the Polar Service Center.
Polar Electro Inc.
1111 Marcus Avenue, Suite M15
Lake Success, NY 11042-1034

1-800-227-1314
Fax 516-364-5454

Non-warranty repairs can also be sent to one
of our authorized service centers

Polar Service Center
7621 East Joy Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Attn: Technical Service
(800) 287-5901 (tel)
(734) 996-4650 (fax)
Time-Tec Watch Service Center
635 S. Hill Street
Suite 209
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 488-9222 (tel)
(213) 488-9221(fax)
(888) 448-TIME (toll free)

Copyright © 2003 Polar All

Attached Images

Old July 7th 04, 03:50 PM
Palookabutt

You have another choice, the new Polar Wearlink HRM belt with
replaceable batteries. My HRM belt also went out last winter, and
rather than have the battery replaced I purchased the Wearlink belt.

http://www.polarusa.com/products/consumer/WL.asp

They are retailing for about $45, but you can replace the battery
yourself, at a cost of $1 or 2.

Thanks, that looks like a good choice -- pays for itself with the
first new battery. I'll have to double-check my receiver model
number, but I think it's an S-series, which is compatible.

calories burned - HRM vs. Web sites?? Bob General 24 February 3rd 06 07:04 PM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) General 17 July 12th 04 09:41 PM
Resting heart rate, be damned Andrew Price General 8 April 5th 04 05:55 AM
Heart Rate Limits louncov General 2 August 13th 03 02:52 PM
Heart rate recovery Jack General 7 July 15th 03 01:35 PM