Those four dollar nashbar saddles...

Old July 5th 05, 09:39 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:32:09 -0700, ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

Very nice. Congrats on your fortunate find.

Y'know, the saddles my butt likes the most are those old
flat, pleather things that ubiquitously came with early
'70s "ten speeds". The ones with that cross-hatching
made to resemble light diamond tufting. Aesthetically
I like their simple lines. Ergonomically I like their
flatness. I've got a few ratty-looking ones, and one
that if it were a collectable coin, I think could rate
somewhere between Very Good Condition, and Uncirculated.
Except the previous/original owner Armor-All'd it. But
it looks nice & shiny.

I've a unscathed diamond tufted plastic one you're welcome to. It
seems to have an slightly arched top though.

I used to have a really pretty one
with chromed coil springs, but I gave it away along with
a fixer-upper bike (I don't need sprung saddles.) Anyhow,
those are the saddles I'm keeping a weather-eye open for.
It's sure tough to find any in nice condition.

The sprung kind was on Sophie when she disappeared. It's flatter than
the other one.
--
zk
Old July 5th 05, 09:48 PM
Veloise

C.J.Patten wrote:
BTW: take a look at this link http://www.spongywonder.com/

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!

$69.00?!?!?!?

Oh, please.

--Karen M.
still has an oval leather Dutch seat picked up at a trade show

Old July 6th 05, 12:39 AM
C.J.Patten

No kidding eh! ($55USD/$69CAD)

Geez... you can just about get a Brooks for that...

"Veloise" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 6th 05, 02:26 AM
Brian Huntley

maxo wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:56:21 -0400, C.J.Patten wrote:

BTW: take a look at this link http://www.spongywonder.com/

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!

YAIFIS

or "Yet Another Impotence Fueled Internet Scam".

I actually rode a year's commuting on one of those, or maybe a bit
longer. It was on a hybrid with 'priest bars' so I was quite upright,
and it wasn't too bad. But when the pads wear, they expose the SS plate
beneath, which can tear your pants. I applied a second set of pads (you
get 2 extra sets when you buy it) but shortly thereafter switched to an
Avocet "Touring" saddle. I still have the Spongy Wonder in one of my
parts buckets, but doubt I'll evern re-mount it.

As I say, it's really not that bad. They even spent a lot of time and
effort tracking me down when they had a recall (mine wasn't actually
affected.) I didn't buy it myself - it was a present from concerned
older relatives, and they probably bought it directly from the
'inventor' as they live nearby.

Old July 6th 05, 03:46 AM
C.J.Patten

Thanks for the review Brian! I'm a knowledge sponge...

BTW: ever see a *ridiculously* large Bontrager saddle?
I think they qualify as "couches" actually.

The ones at my LBS have been dubbed the "fat ass" seats. I can't find them
online or I'd post a link.

Think "two square feet" of area... nutty.

ups.com...