Technical???

Old August 22nd 05, 04:08 AM
Mike Halliday

Default Technical???

OK I know this is a basic question, but y'all seem real nice, soo :

When I see trails discsussed often they meniton "Technical sectios" or
"Technical challenges" ....

What does taht refer to? It sounded likpe obsticles to get over, but I
am sure there is a preceise explanation with a term like "technical"
;-)

MIke

Old August 22nd 05, 04:57 PM
Shawn

Mike Halliday wrote:
OK I know this is a basic question, but y'all seem real nice, soo :

When I see trails discsussed often they meniton "Technical sectios" or
"Technical challenges" ....

What does taht refer to? It sounded likpe obsticles to get over, but I
am sure there is a preceise explanation with a term like "technical"
;-)

OK. Imagine a real strong roadie on his first mountain bike ride with
his (slightly less fit) mountain biking buddy who's been telling him he
should try riding off road for the past two years. They start out
riding on smooth not-too-steep trails, and the roadie is cleaning his
bud's clock.
"Ha ha, this ****'s easy! Why so slow yada yada..." as he disappears up
the trail. The mountain biker remains silent.
Soon our skilled mountain biker catches up to his friend standing by the
trail with nice fresh scuffs on his calf and elbow.
"Dude, the next section is impossible to ride, I've tried it three time
and look..." showing his friend fresh blood.
"Hmm" replies our mountain biker, and promptly rides up the impossible
section, followed by three 40 something riders they had seen down in the
parking lot (and one of em didn't even have a rear derailleur???).
With deflated ego, our roadie watches his friend ride gracefully away
over rocks and roots. He has learned what mountain bikers refer to as a
"technical section" means.
Our mountain biker continues to ride up the trail. He smiles.

Longer story shorter: A section of trail (up, down, or flat), that
requires bike handling skills rather than just strength, to negotiate.

Shawn
Old August 22nd 05, 07:01 PM
Mike Halliday

Great thanks all for the great explanations !

Wanna learn the right lingo for this sport as I work onf the skills so
I can ask for help clearly ;-)
..

Mike

Old August 22nd 05, 10:38 PM
Paladin

"Shawn" sdotcurry@bresnananotherdotnet wrote in message
Mike Halliday wrote:
[...]

so, is there a story behind that?

CDB (it just sounded too real)

Old August 23rd 05, 12:02 AM
Shawn

Mike Halliday wrote:

[...]

Not really, but it does remind me of a few rides I've had now that I
think of it. My roadie friend that I'd occasionally go mountain biking
with wasn't that arrogant, but he was (still is) that fast.

Shawn
Old August 23rd 05, 04:15 AM
Slack

Mike Halliday wrote:

[...]

Happened to me.... kinda. But I got my clock cleaned by a teenage chick
wearing flip flops, Levis', smoking a stogie (or was that it a doobie?)
and riding a beach cruiser. No lie.

Ok, so I'm not much of a technical (or otherwise) climber ;-P Besides,
going DH is so much more natural :-D
--
Slack
Old August 23rd 05, 08:04 PM
Paladin

so, is there a story behind that?

CDB (it just sounded too real)

Not really, but it does remind me of a few rides I've had now that I
think of it. My roadie friend that I'd occasionally go mountain biking
with wasn't that arrogant, but he was (still is) that fast.

Shawn

Happened to me.... kinda. But I got my clock cleaned by a teenage chick
wearing flip flops, Levis', smoking a stogie (or was that it a doobie?)
and riding a beach cruiser. No lie.

Ok, so I'm not much of a technical (or otherwise) climber ;-P Besides,
going DH is so much more natural :-D
--
Slack

Similar experience when we took a guy named Cliff out. Serious roadie, good
long distance runner, occasional mountainbiker. We took him along this
smooth ridge, and he was booking along just fine, then the riders started
disappearing. He made it down the first couple little drops. The next drop
was nearly vertical, about 6 feet, the second was nearly 8 feet, and when he
came up to the lip of the first one, he stood there straddling his bike:
"WTF! There's no way in *(&^% I'm going over that!" That was pretty funny.
In fact, it was part of great ride: http://tinyurl.com/8mfn6

CDB

Old August 23rd 05, 08:46 PM
Jimbo(san)

Paladin

In fact, it was part of great ride: http://tinyurl.com/8mfn6

CDB

That was great fun to read that again.

--
Jimbo(san)

Old August 23rd 05, 09:22 PM
MattB

Jimbo(san) wrote:
Paladin

In fact, it was part of great ride: http://tinyurl.com/8mfn6

CDB

That was great fun to read that again.

My brother, who does very well at XTerra triathlons is a little like
that. He's probably even got the skills (ex-BMXer, longtime MTBer), but
is more likely to do it 'cross style than try to ride anything that
looks hard and/or punishing. He reasoning is that it's often as fast or
faster to run the section (which is really only true if you don't make
it), and that he's afraid of getting hurt and blowing the season.
I guess I understand where he's coming from, but I usually want to try
it unless I think it might kill me. Even then I might give it a go if
I'm having an "invincible" day.

Matt
Old August 24th 05, 09:06 PM
Paladin

"Jimbo (san)" wrote in
message ...

Paladin

In fact, it was part of great ride: http://tinyurl.com/8mfn6

CDB

That was great fun to read that again.

--
Jimbo(san)

In fact, Jimbo, I took you and Carla through most of that ride, but the big
drops were closed off before your visit. I think I pointed them out to you.
Near the start where we saw the big owl. Too dangerous or some such
poppycock. I say, let the process of natural selection cull the herds!!

CDB