A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New bike for Jay



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old August 1st 17, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,165
Default New bike for Jay

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:33:56 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 3:02:16 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-31 11:31, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 10:34:00 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27
Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more
than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I
don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with
a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding
trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or
some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on
a day ride.



http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide



Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the
upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces
cup (250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the
smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32
ounces divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you
use two 24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces
evey fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer
just for your liquids!


Over 4-5h of hard MTB riding on a 95-100F day I find that 1-1/2 gallons
of liquids is adequate. But not less than that. I could have used more
but that's all I had on the bike.

I have met plenty of people on trails who thought like you, that this
was ridiculous and all that. They did not look too well healthwise and
sometimes I gave them one of my bottles. In one case almost all my water
because the guy appeared close to heading towards the eternal trails.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/


Someone on the verge of heat exhaustion or heat stroke is NOT going to be able to exercise after drinking just one 16 ounces bottle of water or energy drink. To give such a person water or energy drink and then leave them is irresponsible.

Cheers


Elite marathon runners, who average slightly over 20 kph for about two
hours normally exceed the often stated "2% weight loss and you lose
efficiency" figure. The usual figure mentioned by good marathoners is
7 - 8 Kg during a marathon. Haile Gebrselassie, world champion at the
time, was weighed before and after he won Dubai in 2009 and lost 9.8%
of his starting body weight. And, timing the top 1,200 top runners at
the Boston Marathon, they actually run faster during the last ten
miles then during the first.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Ads
  #92  
Old August 1st 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,593
Default New bike for Jay

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?


I find that new bike performance is limited by my old legs.
YMMV


... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I, riding tandem)
were on a pretty leisurely club ride a couple weeks ago. A new young
guy had showed up, and we were riding along chatting with him. He said
he rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for such behavior
decided to hit high gear and crank away out front for a while, then wait
for the rest of the crew to catch up. When he did that, the newbie
suddenly ended our conversation, saying something like "Excuse me
now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we reeled him in
and were a comfortable ten feet behind when he caught the rabbit. For
icing on the cake, our rabbit guy (as he always does) left the leisurely
riders for the last five miles or so to crank in at 20 - 25 mph . My
wife and I were close behind, and the newbie was a distant third. It
was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't fairly flat,
we'd happily ride back with the leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could stick with Jay,
Tom or Duane, let alone James.)


I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get over here. You're going to get whacked." You would scold me for being a gutter bunny, although I don't ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere with a gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier full of water, a couple CPUs and a growler.. He'd be complaining about psychopaths in cars and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with factory rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think this NG would want to ride together.


-- Jay Beattie.
  #93  
Old August 1st 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,900
Default New bike for Jay

On 01/08/2017 11:45 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?


I find that new bike performance is limited by my old legs.
YMMV


... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I, riding tandem)
were on a pretty leisurely club ride a couple weeks ago. A new young
guy had showed up, and we were riding along chatting with him. He said
he rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for such behavior
decided to hit high gear and crank away out front for a while, then wait
for the rest of the crew to catch up. When he did that, the newbie
suddenly ended our conversation, saying something like "Excuse me
now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we reeled him in
and were a comfortable ten feet behind when he caught the rabbit. For
icing on the cake, our rabbit guy (as he always does) left the leisurely
riders for the last five miles or so to crank in at 20 - 25 mph . My
wife and I were close behind, and the newbie was a distant third. It
was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't fairly flat,
we'd happily ride back with the leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could stick with Jay,
Tom or Duane, let alone James.)


I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get over here. You're going to get whacked." You would scold me for being a gutter bunny, although I don't ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere with a gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier full of water, a couple CPUs and a growler. He'd be complaining about psychopaths in cars and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with factory rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think this NG would want to ride together.



:-)
Imagine that though... lol

  #94  
Old August 1st 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,029
Default New bike for Jay

slow enough with the new bike review n how you arrived at the gravel geo

your riding background beats us all n you know it.

gravelers ? AM, myself, J ?

CX ?

MTB ?

  #95  
Old August 1st 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,221
Default New bike for Jay

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:56:44 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-27 10:50, wrote:
I know 5-6 fast commuters but its expensive ...


Like this?

https://corporatejetinvestor.com/wp-.../Falcon_8X.jpg


Where was the foto taken?

  #96  
Old August 1st 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,029
Default New bike for Jay

I give where ?
  #97  
Old August 1st 17, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,294
Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-08-01 10:19, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:56:44 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-27 10:50, wrote:
I know 5-6 fast commuters but its expensive ...


Like this?

https://corporatejetinvestor.com/wp-.../Falcon_8X.jpg


Where was the foto taken?


No idea. Greece has a lot of such islands but I don't know where they
took the photo.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #98  
Old August 1st 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,294
Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-31 20:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of water
-- plus a Cliff Bar.


My ride was about 40 miles, pretty hilly (for me), 85 degrees, sunny and
about 75% humidity. I used up two standard water bottles. I was
definitely ready for the big glass of orange juice and another bottle of
water at the end.


If "definitely ready" means you were craving liquids that is a sign that
you were quite dehydrated. Once in a while that shouldn't hurt but
pushing that far on a regular basis can result in long term health
consequences.

I simply avoid such situations by carrying excess. Usually I bring home
20-30oz of unused water or I give some away to folks who didn't carry
enough (there's lots of those).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #99  
Old August 1st 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,060
Default New bike for Jay

On 8/1/2017 11:45 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?


I find that new bike performance is limited by my old legs.
YMMV


... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly is largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and I, riding tandem)
were on a pretty leisurely club ride a couple weeks ago. A new young
guy had showed up, and we were riding along chatting with him. He said
he rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious for such behavior
decided to hit high gear and crank away out front for a while, then wait
for the rest of the crew to catch up. When he did that, the newbie
suddenly ended our conversation, saying something like "Excuse me
now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So we reeled him in
and were a comfortable ten feet behind when he caught the rabbit. For
icing on the cake, our rabbit guy (as he always does) left the leisurely
riders for the last five miles or so to crank in at 20 - 25 mph . My
wife and I were close behind, and the newbie was a distant third. It
was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it weren't fairly flat,
we'd happily ride back with the leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I could stick with Jay,
Tom or Duane, let alone James.)


I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd be in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey Frank, get over here. You're going to get whacked." You would scold me for being a gutter bunny, although I don't ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere with a gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier full of water, a couple CPUs and a growler. He'd be complaining about psychopaths in cars and the fact that his Gazelle didn't come with factory rack-mounts and room for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring chain. He'd have to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think this NG would want to ride together.


Anyone ever ride with (or even meet) anyone they first got to know
through r.b.*?

I've met several guys I can think of quickly, and almost met one other
one. (That last one, we were going to host on his bike tour until his
route had to change.) I hosted two other r.b.* denizens at various
times, and was hosted by one other one on one of our tours. Another few
were at one or more cycling advocacy events I attended - although come
to think of it, I may have encountered those guys on other discussion
groups.

Online, I had generally agreed with most of these guys on most topics.
One or two guys and I had very different opinions on one particular
topic, but in each case, meeting the guys in person and riding with them
was very pleasant indeed.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #100  
Old August 1st 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,294
Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-31 21:41, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:33:56 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 3:02:16 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-31 11:31, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 10:34:00 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27
Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more
than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I
don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with
a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding
trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or
some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on
a day ride.



http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide



Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the
upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces
cup (250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the
smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32
ounces divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you
use two 24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces
evey fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer
just for your liquids!


Over 4-5h of hard MTB riding on a 95-100F day I find that 1-1/2 gallons
of liquids is adequate. But not less than that. I could have used more
but that's all I had on the bike.

I have met plenty of people on trails who thought like you, that this
was ridiculous and all that. They did not look too well healthwise and
sometimes I gave them one of my bottles. In one case almost all my water
because the guy appeared close to heading towards the eternal trails.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/


Someone on the verge of heat exhaustion or heat stroke is NOT going to be able to exercise after drinking just one 16 ounces bottle of water or energy drink. To give such a person water or energy drink and then leave them is irresponsible.

Cheers


Elite marathon runners, who average slightly over 20 kph for about two
hours normally exceed the often stated "2% weight loss and you lose
efficiency" figure. The usual figure mentioned by good marathoners is
7 - 8 Kg during a marathon. Haile Gebrselassie, world champion at the
time, was weighed before and after he won Dubai in 2009 and lost 9.8%
of his starting body weight. And, timing the top 1,200 top runners at
the Boston Marathon, they actually run faster during the last ten
miles then during the first.


Many push themselves way too hard and endanger their long term health.
It can also end like this:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...re-id522295640

Ot this:

http://www.granfondoguide.com/Conten...nior-road-race

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting The Brakes On Bike Thieves: System Alerts Security If SomeoneTakes Your Bike Dokorek Mountain Biking 0 November 23rd 08 01:55 PM
For Sale: Bike, Bike, Bike, Bike, Frame, and wheels. gplama[_137_] Australia 53 July 3rd 07 09:37 AM
road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - which one Maurice Wibblington UK 44 September 27th 06 10:53 PM
road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - CHOSEN AND BOUGHT Maurice Wibblington UK 26 September 27th 06 11:56 AM
We've had the row bike, kick bike, treadmill bike (yes really) now the..... PiledHigher Australia 0 August 4th 06 07:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.