A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 1st 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 8:30:49 AM UTC-7, Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Joerg wrote:

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?


Well, if weight really isn’t an issue, people do already make airless/
air-free bicycle tires. Foam rubber of varying density to simulate
different air pressures. I had a friend who considered them some years
back, but they *really* are not light.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly


I think that we should encourage Joerg to buy these things and learn for himself that weight is an issue.
Ads
  #12  
Old September 1st 17, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,338
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 10:12:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 8:30:49 AM UTC-7, Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Joerg wrote:

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?


Well, if weight really isn’t an issue, people do already make airless/
air-free bicycle tires. Foam rubber of varying density to simulate
different air pressures. I had a friend who considered them some years
back, but they *really* are not light.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly


I think that we should encourage Joerg to buy these things and learn for himself that weight is an issue.


You can always tell the British
You can always tell the Yankees
You can always tell the Dutch
....

  #14  
Old September 2nd 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,624
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 12:21, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/31/2017 1:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long
story short I will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare
tires. Wore out in less than 1200mi and then weakened which
is just unacceptable. So thumbs down from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They
must be laid in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause
a 700c 25mm tire at 110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop
.. whop every time the overlap comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded)
thorn-resistant tube, slit it open on the inside and slide
it over the real thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same
thickness all around but now the thickness tapers off
towards the sidewalls. That's where they fail. Same for
Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday because those
things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not
matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers
"inflate" their vehicle tires with some sort of hardening
sealant (Silicone? Construction foam?) that makes the tires
bullet-proof. What material is it and how do they get it in
there thoroughly enough? Would it be good for a couple of
thousand miles?


Not anything new:
http://www.americanindustrialtire.com/foamfilled.htm

See your local skid-steer equipment dealer


Thanks. AFAIK that only works with tires that have large volumes but
I'll inquire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #15  
Old September 2nd 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,624
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 14:49, wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story
short I will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore
out in less than 1200mi and then weakened which is just
unacceptable. So thumbs down from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be
laid in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm
tire at 110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time
the overlap comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded)
thorn-resistant tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over
the real thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls.
That's where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order
yesterday because those things are essentially unfixable with those
thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate"
their vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What
material is it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough?
Would it be good for a couple of thousand miles?


As usual - no. Weight from Mr. Tuffy's is insignificant. Construction
foam would cause a tire to fail almost immediately. First by breaking
it up into chunks and then collapsing it.

There is tubeless tires and sealant but these will not handle cuts or
tears in the sidewalls of fat tires. If you can get the tube type
from which you can extract the presta fitting then you can put in
large amounts of sealant into the tube. When using this sealant you
have to always stop or park the bike with the fill on the bottom of
the wheel.


You can get tubes (including 700c sizes and their thick versions) with
sealant but I'll never do that again. Had it on the MTB for over half a
year. Eventually there will be so many supposedly "sealed" punctures
that the tire starts oozing green stuff, you'll have permanent slow
leaks and it soils the garage floor. A friend even got it on his carpet.
This was the point where I went with the thickest tubes obtainable plus
tire liner plus regular tubes sleeved over the tire liner. Never had a
flat again otehr than violent blow-outs (side wall failures and such).


All presta valves used to screw out but the times I've tried it
recently was on cheap tubes and they were somehow fixed inside the
nozzle.


A firned (the one where the sealant got on the carpet) had a big
canister of green sealant. At least a gallon, and it didn't last long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #16  
Old September 2nd 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,624
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded) thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?


Those who are serious about not getting flats make their own mr tuffys from old tires


How do you do the overlap? It has to be cut because the radius inside is
a smidgen smaller than normal.

I was thinking about making my own Mr.Tuffy from a 2nd thorn-resistant
tube that is slit open lengthwise on the rim side. I'll see when the new
tube gets here next week. There should be enough compliance in the
rubber so there won;t be any wrinkles. Hopefully. The othe issue is that
the smallest these tubes come is 700 x 23/25mm and even 23mm is a bit
large if there is a another thick tube in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #17  
Old September 2nd 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,624
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 17:57, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/31/2017 2:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just unacceptable. So thumbs
down from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded) thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA
patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material
is it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be
good for a couple of thousand miles?

Have you tried these? https://www.schwalbetires.com/flat-less

No personal experience, but I remembered seeing the ad somewhere.


I have used tires like that and have them on there now. However, they
are still vulnerable to thorns entering more towards the sides and then
.... phhssseeeeeooouuu. As happened on Wednesday, twice. This was not a
problem when Kenda still made the tubes that were several mm thick all
around. Unfortunately unobtanium now :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #18  
Old September 2nd 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,624
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-08-31 18:30, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:55:10 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded) thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?


I don't know about smugglers but yes you can buy foam to use in tires.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgv4UiDQa74
http://www.accellatirefill.com/

and I assume other sites.



Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll contact them next week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very important, durability is.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #19  
Old September 2nd 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,346
Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 7:44:58 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll contact them next week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very important, durability is.


I'll give you a prediction - you'll discover that weight is a big problem and that you can't get the tire to properly stay in place.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 11:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 10:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 07:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 04:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.