$95 Tyres, What the

Old October 1st 04, 12:58 AM
Porn Shop Stiffy

Default $95 Tyres, What the

"L'acrobat" wrote in message

"Kurt Green" wrote in message
I saw in a BS this morning some $95 road tyres, each.
What can a $95 road tyre do, that a $30 one can't ?

It depends on what they are designed to do - they may have better grip, be
more punture resistant, have better rolling resistance, be lighter, etc

They can also tell the time, do the dishes, walk the dog and pedal for you.
Not to mention scare off magpies, answer the latest "clipless pedal" thread
and pick up the kids from school.

Old October 1st 04, 02:39 AM
ritcho

flyingdutch Wrote:
would that come down to contact area being more concentrated...

and the ****e condition of most roads in the lefthand 1-2 metres

mmm let me think about that... yes and yes, but I'd add that a car tyr
is very very thick by comparison with a bicycle tyre.

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old October 1st 04, 04:03 AM
Theo Bekkers

NickZX6R wrote:

and car tyres last a LOT longer. When you compare $ per km,
bicycle tyres cost an absolute fortune.

Hmm, work Commodore SS ute. Four tyres, 30,000 kms, $1200. Four cents per
kilometer.

Theo

Old October 1st 04, 05:20 AM
rickster

"hippy" wrote in message ...
[snip]

I have recently swapped to cheaper tyres though
because once ProRace hit ~4000k they puncture
if you look at 'em funny and I didn't want to keep
shelling out on them just for training k's.

hippy

I use ProRaces as well for training and get about 4000-5000 km out of
them then it's puncture time. However that seems to be about what I
get for most road tyres no matter what they are. So I stick to the
ProRaces and buy them on line at around $ 50 instead of $ 100.

My race wheels have Vittoria Corsa's pumped up to 140-150 psi. You
get only 2,000 km max on those, but they do seem/feel faster (maybe
just the harsh ride giving the illusion ?) I am forced to use them as
Michelin tyres are too hard to get on off the rim (Campag Shamals),
but once again, buying them on line will save you.

Rick
Old October 1st 04, 10:40 AM
DRS

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message

NickZX6R wrote:

and car tyres last a LOT longer. When you compare $ per km,
bicycle tyres cost an absolute fortune.

Hmm, work Commodore SS ute. Four tyres, 30,000 kms, $1200. Four cents
per kilometer.

$300 per tyre for a work ute is insane.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 5th 04, 03:49 AM
Lotte

This thread has really made me tick!

On Sunday, I rode up Mt Tamborine and on my way down the Canungra sid
(fast), all I managed to hit was 74km/h and I was squeezing the brake
as hard as I could because the bike felt so sketchy it's not funny.

I now believe it has more to do with the tyres ($30 Vittorias) than th
bike.

I was sort of thinking "Hey, this new bike is nowhere near as stable a
my old bike" and couldn't quite work it out as the new bike has carbo
rear stays and fork as opposed to aluminium...

Anyway, I'm positive it has to do with my sh!tty tires... I've onl
been running these since I started commuting and didn't want to wast
my $90 Michelins on that

--
Lotte

Old October 5th 04, 04:23 AM
hippy

"Lotte"

On Sunday, I rode up Mt Tamborine and on my way down the Canungra side
(fast), all I managed to hit was 74km/h and I was squeezing the brakes
as hard as I could because the bike felt so sketchy it's not funny.

I now believe it has more to do with the tyres ($30 Vittorias) than the
bike.

Could be the new frame geometry. The Pug is HEAPS
twitchier than my older road bikes. Makes a good crit
bike. Could it also be the road surface? Do you mean
sketchy as in losing traction around corners or twitchy
as in fast steering/responds to minimal rider input?

I was sort of thinking "Hey, this new bike is nowhere near as stable as
my old bike" and couldn't quite work it out as the new bike has carbon
rear stays and fork as opposed to aluminium...

I'm sure frame materials would make little difference.

Anyway, I'm positive it has to do with my sh!tty tires... I've only
been running these since I started commuting and didn't want to waste
my $90 Michelins on that.

The Schwalbe's on the Pug are doing okay so far..

hippy

Tight Tyres / Rims Gippledocks UK 9 June 28th 05 09:45 PM
Tubeless Tyres James Grabowski UK 9 May 15th 05 01:15 PM
Suggestions: Tyres spademan o---[\) * UK 0 January 21st 05 10:36 AM
road tyres geepeetee General 3 July 28th 04 10:41 AM
20mm vs 23mm tyres Dave Australia 4 December 28th 03 12:49 PM