Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

Old January 31st 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

Max Penn wrote:

I have to concede that GM is having hard times and that they might have
avoided if they were to manufacture under a fascist regime where they

could
invoke government coercion to keep the workers in line.

Can you provide links to some news stories that state this to be true,
as he articles I've read on China don't.

I read many (though not all yet) of those links, and nowhere did I see
where the facist regime was using government coecion to keep workers
in-line (i.e. working hard). China cracks down on speech, no doubt, but
industy is now thriving there not becuase of government intervention,
but becuase government has allowed business to operate more freely.
Businesses under tight control of Comunist Governments I don't believe
have ever successfully manufucationed much quality stuff. THe chineese
have recoginzed that.

Rich
Old January 31st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I am not surprised at pacific not labeling themselves as a manufacturer
since they were able to produce all those bike lines secretly or all of
those years. If you understand oriental thinking, and that is not
something the occidental does very well, myself included, it may be
that in the corporate image factorthey prefer to be a supplier, and
have subdivided the company into parts, that they control every facet
of their bikes and the quality of the build I have no doubt, since it
was their very method that made them so huge and powerful. I was a
bike mechanic and assember for many years, and I did do extensive
builds of product for Pacific, and I recieved notification of when they
began to badge their own bikes, and I even saw a picture of the new
plant as supplied from the sales rep, which I do not have, but they had
goals of getting into higher price brackets..and their products were
quite good....I have not kept up with the company since I got out of
the business, so I am sure there have been some changes, but being a
premier Taiwanese company, they are not sourcing out to mainland china!
They do not make that quality of a bike without sophisticated
manufacturung, and the Tawainese worker on the whole is better treated
than many American counterparts, and they actuall y have job security!
The main point however was to point out the fact that to buy a discount
chain bike, be it target or toys r us or wallymart, doesn't mean you
are supplying the means of child labor and unhealthy work
environment....go buy a pair of sneakers or jeans if you want to do
that.

Old February 1st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Max Penn" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

If it's not 16-gauge gas-pipe tubing, it's not a Varsity.

I always thought it would have been a cool marketing scheme to put the
Varsity name on something superlight and high-quality. The ultimate

inside
joke.

If I see some made in mainland China [1] bicycle shaped object with
"Schwinn Paramount" stickers on it, I will lose it.

[1] Sorry Mr. Brandt.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Tom, Do you have a barf bag? If not, next time you (or a friend) are an
airline passenger, you better pick one up and carry it with you. Is it
Chinese goods in general or the desecration of the Schwinn name in
particular that you find most troublesome?

I can't speak for Tom, but the desecration of the Schwinn name is what
bothers me. I understand that Schwinn outsourced a lot of production to
Taiwan(like my 99 Peloton), but Taiwan is a lot better than China. It also
sucks that the Schwinn name is being put on a poor quality product. Some
Schwinns, like the Varsity, may have been less than high end, but at least
they weren't one size fits all junk. My Peloton is a nice bike, but now I
have to deal with people asking me if I got it at WalMart. Before that, I
owned a bike shop-purchased Mongoose MTB. Polished aluminum frame, nice
bike. Shortly after that, Mongoose became a 'mart brand. WTF? At least I
know Gunnar won't suffer the same fate. :-)

Old February 1st 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ken M." wrote in message
Olebiker wrote:
It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

Speaking of Wal*Mart and road bikes, I saw the first Denali on the way
back from the grocery store yesterday. Typical x-mart bike rider, the
wrong way, on the sidewalk, riding too fast, wearing jeans and a
tee-shirt.

Ken--

It doesn't count unless he had the bars turned upside down.

Old February 1st 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

There is never a reason to not wear spandex on a road bike.