Horst link bending forces

Old February 5th 18, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Horst link bending forces

On 2/4/2018 6:26 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was
Reynolds 531.

BTW I've heard that number (531) doesn't
specify some property of the steel but is
a designation/name so one can refer to
the product.

531 is great for showing off blonde Svenska girls:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-315023.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 5th 18, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/4/2018 7:26 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was
Reynolds 531.

BTW I've heard that number (531) doesn't
specify some property of the steel but is
a designation/name so one can refer to
the product.

Yes. It's the name given by the Reynolds company to a particular alloy
of their steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_531

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 5th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

531 is great for showing off blonde Svenska
girls:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-315023.html

If I dare guess I think Crescent used domestic
steel, and not 531 from the UK, but otherwise
you are totally right

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 5th 18, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was
Reynolds 531.

BTW I've heard that number (531) doesn't
specify some property of the steel but is
a designation/name so one can refer to
the product.

531 is great for showing off blonde Svenska girls:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-315023.html

Obviously a staged photograph - that girl's got no quads.

Old February 5th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/4/2018 6:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

531 is great for showing off blonde Svenska
girls:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-315023.html

If I dare guess I think Crescent used domestic
steel, and not 531 from the UK, but otherwise
you are totally right

Sorry, no.
Pro model Crescent are metric dimension 531 in that era with
DuBois Nervex lugs.

http://cykelhistoriska.se/old/pepitalista.html

Old February 5th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ralph Barone wrote:

531 is great for showing off blonde Svenska
girls:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ret...st-315023.html

Obviously a staged photograph - that girl's
got no quads.

Here, there are like 100 such girls for every
one 40+yo lycra guy with all the gadgets,
thinking he is the most important guy on
the planet.

She on the other hand probably knows absolutely
nothing of bikes except how to ride it.
When everything brakes because of abuse and
lack of maintenance, she will not care one bit,
except for when it brakes to the point that she
cannot use it - then there will be sudden PANIC
because how will she now get to the university,
shop for clothes, her boyfriend, etc.???

Old February 5th 18, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Sorry, no. Pro model Crescent are metric
dimension 531 in that era with DuBois
Nervex lugs.

What a bummer. Since the components are also
foreign I suppose this chapter of our
industrial history has been mythologized
as well.

http://cykelhistoriska.se/old/pepitalista.html

Amazing the keep track of everything!

Old February 5th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

DuBois Nervex lugs

I can't find even a Wikipedia page for DuBois.
Is that British as well even tho it
sounds French?

Old February 5th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/4/2018 7:15 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

DuBois Nervex lugs

I can't find even a Wikipedia page for DuBois.
Is that British as well even tho it
sounds French?

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...ts/nervex.html

Apparently the parent company had two iterations before Ets.
DuBois. I didn't know that.

Old February 5th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Apparently the parent company had two
iterations before Ets. DuBois. I didn't
know that.

Can you see/deduct from the Crescent poster
what model it is? It would be a fun game to
track just how foreign it is.

In the bike mags they often ridicule the guys
who have their "own bike brand" and say, "own
bike brand, yeah right, what it is is an
unpainted carbon frame from Asia and now they
have put their own sticker on it and expect us
to be impressed".

This could be a great provocative article
saying Crescent also did that, sort of, while
in their ad playing the "Swedish card" with all
the familiar methods

This will probably provoke like 100 guys to
reply, "there is nothing wrong using foreign
parts yada yada yada".

Another aspect is, they used 531 for their pro
models. Tho the one on the poster is one, the
purpose of the ad is not to sell pro models but
bikes for the commuters. So then one wonders,
did they use domestic steel for those, or
foreign as well, only not as good/expensive
as 531?