OLN Coverage Getting Crappier

Old April 6th 05, 07:17 PM

Default OLN Coverage Getting Crappier

I remember having to borrow those WCP videos in June to
be able to watch the classics, so I always thought OLN was pretty cool,
and it's better than nothing but what is the deal with the fox news
style tickers every three minutes reminding me that something about
Lance is coming up?

it's like I might get bored and switch the channel if they don't remind
me that Lance is coming up, it's somehow worse than the Tour last year
when you would think that sport revolved around the guy.
Then the commercials are all about getting your dick hard and paying
$153 for pills because you're all obese and desperate.
What is wrong with people who watch cycling?

Commercials every 2 minutes just when something good happens - while
you were gone the break went, there was a crash, etc.

They totally mess up otherwise perfectly good coverage making Liggett
talk about bull riding, or some other sport somehow more obscure than
cycling.

Old April 6th 05, 08:18 PM
DA74

what is the deal with the fox news style
tickers every three minutes reminding me
that something about Lance is coming up?

OLN knows their target demographic. Fatties with short attention spans
that focus almost exclusively on the L-Factor.

Then the commercials are all about getting your dick hard and paying
$153 for pills because you're all obese and desperate.
What is wrong with people who watch cycling?

They are fat, obsessive, compulsive, limp and lonely. Although they'd
rather spend the $153 on a titanium cogset where the 25 will be worn
down in three weeks...after three Sunday fattie fests.
-DA74

Old April 6th 05, 11:21 PM

Still, it was 2 hours of same-day Flanders coverage. The eurosport
watchers are only going to get 45 minutes of tape delayed P-R coverage
this weekend.

Old April 6th 05, 11:29 PM
Jet

On 6 Apr 2005 11:17:07 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If there are any constraints on how much commercial time a show can have
per broadcast hour, then what a clever way to subvert any such rule with
the "on-screen crawl" the "popups" and now the "poster-board announcements"
that Phil does about the upcoming shows on bull-racing for instance.

Since the show is running (in the 'background') then perhaps they haven't
violated the letter of any such constraints, yet they still get in about 4
minutes of extra "commercial band" per program hour.

As it was before these we used to get about 45 minutes of -actual- show per
hour. . I taped a show recently and paused out all the commercials and the
on-screen bulletin-board parts and now we get around 40-41min and change.

For a network squeezing in 4-5 extra commercials 'in the background', and
freeing up 4-5 more minutes for revenue-generating commercials could
generate a lot of money I would think.

But it does seem like OLN spends a lot of time self-promoting their own
shows during its commercial time and I see no financial benfit to that. I
mean we all have multiple TV guides in print and on-line that we can watch
and they also have their website. Dedicated viewers are -not- gonna miss
their fav. sports shows, heh. So, yeah, the rationale for all that escapes
me.

jj

Old April 7th 05, 12:00 AM
B. Lafferty

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I recorded it and edited out just about everything but the racing and PVP
piece. Watching it the next day straight through (about 1 hr. 10 min.), it
was fairly good. The quality of the video is, of course, nothing like a
dvd. I'll probably buy the dvd late in the year or early next at the lower
prices available then.

Old April 7th 05, 12:56 AM
Nev Shea

" wrote in
oups.com:

Still, it was 2 hours of same-day Flanders coverage. The eurosport
watchers are only going to get 45 minutes of tape delayed P-R coverage
this weekend.

And from what I recall from last year OLN only showed one hour's worth of
highlights from the classics, and I think they packaged it in a weekly show
starring Kristen Gum and Boob Roll.

So I'm thrilled with 2 hours of the Ronde and expecting 2 more of P-R. The
notion that this is worse than before just seems like whining to me.

NS
Old April 7th 05, 01:00 AM
Myfirstname Mylastname

Nev Shea writes:

So I'm thrilled with 2 hours of the Ronde and expecting 2 more of P-R. The
notion that this is worse than before just seems like whining to me.

Hobson's Choice anywy - Take it or leave it.

It's just a pity they have that awful Roll character around though. They should bring back the chick that did such a great job at the Tour in '93
Old April 7th 05, 02:14 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:00:36 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

I recorded it and edited out just about everything but the racing and PVP
piece.

Isn't that a violation of your agreement with the station? I thought
we weren't even supposed to go to the crapper during commercials, but
had to watch these things straight through, commercials and all?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old April 7th 05, 02:53 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:00:36 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't they do any more of those funny ads? I remember the one they ran
during the Vuelta with the Phil and Paul Bingo. And those great Jimi
Hendrix 'Freedom' spots they'd run between ads. OLN was known for
great ads!
Old April 7th 05, 04:31 AM
sonarrat

The level of coverage over the entire season is a giant improvement over
last year. However, if they cover the Giro and Vuelta only on Sundays,
I'm going to be pretty ****ed.

-Sonarrat.