Bicycling Glasses

Old October 6th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Bicycling Glasses

wrote:
I'm just looking for something that I can use while biking
at night. I'm not excited about paying more than $20, but...
ya know, if I have to...
Thanks!
-cjkogan111

Mountain Equipment Co-op has some sunglasses called "Espresso". The
frames and lenses are interchangeable. You can get different colour
frames (blue, black, red). More importantly, they have a decent
selection of lenses: Clear, Dark Brown, Grey, Rose, Smoke Blue, Yellow.

The website lists light transmission rates for each lens. I personally
use the Smoke Blue (bright conditions) and the Yellow (great for
foggy/rainy conditions). I haven't purchased the clear lens yet
because my bike lights aren't quite ready.

The best news is price. The lenses are $6, frames are $19. Canadian
pricing.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d... 1160158739713

Old October 6th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:00:31 GMT, bill wrote:

R Brickston wrote:
On 6 Oct 2006 08:05:42 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
Does anyone know the easiest and cheapest way to get sunglasses that
have clear (non-tinted) lenses in them. All of the glasses that I've
seen in department stores so far have tinted lenses. I'm just looking
for something that I can use while biking at night. I'm not excited
about paying more than $20, but...ya know, if I have to...
You might find something he

http://tinyurl.com/kykvn

You can also click on "contact" to get a list of distributors, which
will lead to a retailer near you.

You can find these Uvex glasses or a similar brand for under $10 at
Home Depot or Lowes. The yellow tinted jobs are great for upping the
contrast from dusk on.

Those are nowhere near as good as the set I got from Wally world.
Bill Baka

You suggest that the OP get these polarized super duper sunglasses
with Polarized lenses and you talk about adding 20% window
tint to get a 10% pass through of light and how he can add enough
tinting material to have them down to 5% pass through of light.

Billy, you fuc*ing simpleton. Did you get the part about:

clear lenses--- "looking for something that I can use while biking at
**night**"?

Nooooo, you were once again too busy hijacking the thread which *was*
about the *clear* glasses the OP solicited suggestions, *to* another
chapter in the wonderful world of Billy Baka.

Included in your ongoing, never ending story about "Billy World" we
learn:

Billy's age (for the 1000th time);

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery;

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery at 62 years old;

Billy can't see the instruments in the car too well, except for the
speedometer (and if you know Billy you can see why this would
important for "Feat Verification").

Billy gratuitously left out his world famous hand to hand combat
abilities. This is rather surprising because the probabilities were
high that he almost got into it with a 98 lbs female Wal-Mart
Associate when he picked up these glasses, but Billy averted yet
another call to the local gendarmes by staring her down as he crouched
into one of his many martial art stances.
Old October 7th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bill

wrote:
[...]

I have on tolerance for f'ing morons, not ill aimed harassment.
Even with the polarizing that makes the "NOT CLEAR" lens that have a 50%
pass through things were bright.

clear lenses--- "looking for something that I can use while biking at
**night**"?

Nooooo, you were once again too busy hijacking the thread which *was*
about the *clear* glasses the OP solicited suggestions, *to* another
chapter in the wonderful world of Billy Baka.

Are you so ****ing stupid you don't know how to peel the tape off? I
have a whole roll so if I get caught out at night I can just peel it and
put more on in the morning. This gives me an obvious intelligence
advantage since you would never have thought of that, under $20.00 for a
pair of good frames and a few cents when I want to change the things
into sunglasses, double dense if I put 2 layers on it, which still works
for riding and serves to preserve my night vision if I want to ride
under as little as a quarter moon without using my Cateye headlight.

Included in your ongoing, never ending story about "Billy World" we
learn:

Billy's age (for the 1000th time);

Sunday is my birthday, so "Happy birthday to me, **** Brickston.".
It's my party, fool.

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery;

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery at 62 years old;

Yes,
Because he was an outdoor macho army seargent who wouldn't even admit
that UV could and would harm his eyes. Cataracts are the price he paid.
Have you ever seen an older outside dog? Did you notice the cloudy eyes?
Were you too busy wetting yourself at the bad old Chihuahua?

Billy can't see the instruments in the car too well, except for the
speedometer (and if you know Billy you can see why this would
important for "Feat Verification").

I just can't read the trip odometer, you twit, and I am not going to do
any feats in a Mazda 323 that is totally topped out at about 105.

Billy gratuitously left out his world famous hand to hand combat
abilities. This is rather surprising because the probabilities were
high that he almost got into it with a 98 lbs female Wal-Mart
Associate when he picked up these glasses, but Billy averted yet
another call to the local gendarmes by staring her down as he crouched
into one of his many martial art stances.

All I want for Christmas is to run into you face to face, and say
something to identify yourself, so I can kick your ass and run, letting
you wonder who gave you your come-uppance. You wouldn't even see me
bragging about it, just smiling as I post to this group and not seeing
your posts because someone finally taught you to shut up.
It is interesting to see I have my very own stalker, even if not very
bright. I also found out by googling myself that there is a lot of stuff
that comes up that I KNOW I never participated in, so that isn't too
reliable. I did argue Space shuttle safety about a 150,000 MPH grain of
sand back in 1996, but not with that idiot who calls himself "Kadaitcha
Man", who apparently found a way to insert my email into meaningless
threads.
Call me back when I announce my 98th birthday century ride in 2048. You
may have grown up a bit by then.

Bill Baka
Old October 7th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

wrote:
[...]

Why would the OP or any night rider want to have /any/ tint at all?
It's unsafe.

clear lenses--- "looking for something that I can use while biking at
**night**"?

Nooooo, you were once again too busy hijacking the thread which *was*
about the *clear* glasses the OP solicited suggestions, *to* another
chapter in the wonderful world of Billy Baka.

Are you so ****ing stupid you don't know how to peel the tape off? I
have a whole roll so if I get caught out at night I can just peel it and
put more on in the morning. This gives me an obvious intelligence
advantage since you would never have thought of that, under $20.00 for a
pair of good frames and a few cents when I want to change the things
into sunglasses, double dense if I put 2 layers on it, which still works
for riding and serves to preserve my night vision if I want to ride
under as little as a quarter moon without using my Cateye headlight.

Doofus, that still gives at least a 10% NON-clear lens. And what are
you polarizing at night, your headlight beam?

Included in your ongoing, never ending story about "Billy World" we
learn:

Billy's age (for the 1000th time);

Sunday is my birthday, so "Happy birthday to me, **** Brickston.".
It's my party, fool.

What was that Leslie Gore song:

"It's your party and you'll be a Doofus if you want to..."

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery;

Billy's Daddy had cataract surgery at 62 years old;

Yes,
Because he was an outdoor macho army seargent

You've done this one, what 20 times now?

who wouldn't even admit
that UV could and would harm his eyes. Cataracts are the price he paid.

I think this one you've mentioned 5 times.

Have you ever seen an older outside dog? Did you notice the cloudy eyes?
Were you too busy wetting yourself at the bad old Chihuahua?

Billy can't see the instruments in the car too well, except for the
speedometer (and if you know Billy you can see why this would
be important for "Feat Verification").

I just can't read the trip odometer, you twit, and I am not going to do
any feats in a Mazda 323 that is totally topped out at about 105.

Don't you remmeber what you posted, Bozo? "I can't see the instruments
in the car too well, except for the speedometer." So is the only
instrument in your Mazda a speedo and a trop odometer?

Billy gratuitously left out his world famous hand to hand combat
abilities. This is rather surprising because the probabilities were
high that he almost got into it with a 98 lbs female Wal-Mart
Associate when he picked up these glasses, but Billy averted yet
another call to the local gendarmes by staring her down as he crouched
into one of his many martial art stances.

All I want for Christmas is to run into you face to face, and say
something to identify yourself, so I can kick your ass and run, letting
you wonder who gave you your come-uppance. You wouldn't even see me
bragging about it, just smiling as I post to this group and not seeing
your posts because someone finally taught you to shut up.

The problem with your above equation is that a total weakling like
yourself couldn't kick your way out of a wet paper bag.

It is interesting to see I have my very own stalker, even if not very
bright.

What was not very bright was your totally stupid suggestion that I
corrected; the OP who was looking for ***NIGHT*** riding glasses.
**No** tint.

I also found out by googling myself that there is a lot of stuff
that comes up that I KNOW I never participated in, so that isn't too
reliable. I did argue Space shuttle safety about a 150,000 MPH grain of
sand back in 1996, but not with that idiot who calls himself "Kadaitcha
Man", who apparently found a way to insert my email into meaningless
threads.
Call me back when I announce my 98th birthday century ride in 2048. You
may have grown up a bit by then.

I guess the days must be shorter on Planet Baka.

What a nut case! Do you have a substance abuse problem?
Old October 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steven

Personally I use Polaroid Harbor Masters. I got mine from some Outlet
store for around $20. They are lightweight and sporty. Check these out:

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/seastwarusu.html

I like the light tint of these and they just serve your purpose. Check
out the whole line of Polaroids he

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/posu.html

These sunglasses won't break your bank like Oaklies but I have to warn
you, the lenses feel very thin, almost like plastic. They are kind of
easy to bend as well but I use these for sport so I don't care. For $20
I feel if I break them, I can just get another. Btw - I've taken my
Polaroids up a 13 hour hike to Half Dome as well as used it countless
times as backup for my main sunglasses, I've taken in for miles on end
for jogging, hiking, and bicycling for nearly a year and it has
performed very well.

I am a dental hygienist so I've have my share of experience with the
UVEX brand. This brand is used often in dental office settings
(especially the clear lenses) as they are durable, inexpensive, and
work. Not sure what you are going to be using your glasses for, but
UVEX would not be my 1st choice for cycling glasses. UVEX's sunglasses
are mostly for safety. The side protection is there to shield debris.
The side protection on my Polaroids is designed to shield sunlight.

Steven

Old October 7th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steven

Another pair of sunglasses you can check out would be these Gargoyles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gargoyles-Sungla...QQcmdZViewItem

These are Gargoyles Legends with clear lens. They look sporty and have
good lenses. At only $40 it won't break your bank either. I have a pair
of Gargoyles Clears 85S that I use at my work and I can attest to their
high quality build. If you need the best I would go with Gargoyles
because they have an entire line of clear lenses. The lenses were
actually designed to military specs and can take a .22 caliber bullet
at 10 foot range and not break. The lenses are also coated with some
special NASA coating which prevents fogging, pretty cool stuff.

Steven

Old October 8th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know the easiest and cheapest way to get sunglasses that
have clear (non-tinted) lenses in them. All of the glasses that I've
seen in department stores so far have tinted lenses. I'm just looking
for something that I can use while biking at night. I'm not excited
about paying more than $20, but...ya know, if I have to...
Thanks!
-cjkogan111

Nashbar has their clear "No Frame" model on sale for $9.99.