Distribution of frame sizes?

Old November 3rd 05, 02:46 PM

Default Distribution of frame sizes?

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps someone who runs a bike store or has other relevant experience
can help me out here.

Someone I know who owns a health club is contemplating buying a fleet
of bikes to rent/loan to spinning folks for organized rides. I am
tentatively in charge of getting the bikes.

So my question is, which percentage of the fleet should each size be?
The bikes I'm looking at come in 2cm increments (c-c): 60, 58, 56, 54,
52, 50, 48. For various reasons we are not going with S, M, L compact
style frames.

So for a fleet of 50 bikes, how many of each size?? What is the bike
size curve for the population of road riders?

Thanks!

Joseph

Old November 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Perhaps someone who runs a bike store or has other relevant experience
can help me out here.

Someone I know who owns a health club is contemplating buying a fleet
of bikes to rent/loan to spinning folks for organized rides. I am
tentatively in charge of getting the bikes.

So my question is, which percentage of the fleet should each size be?
The bikes I'm looking at come in 2cm increments (c-c): 60, 58, 56, 54,
52, 50, 48. For various reasons we are not going with S, M, L compact
style frames.

So for a fleet of 50 bikes, how many of each size?? What is the bike
size curve for the population of road riders?

Thanks!

Well of course, most men ride around a 56cm-58cm or so, most women
52-50cm or so..most should be there. A couple largest an smallest, most
in the moiddle, of course.

20-56cm
10-52cm
5-58
3-60
5-50
3-48
6-54

or something like that. 54s for shortish men, tallish women.
Joseph

Old November 3rd 05, 03:19 PM

wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Perhaps someone who runs a bike store or has other relevant experience
can help me out here.

Someone I know who owns a health club is contemplating buying a fleet
of bikes to rent/loan to spinning folks for organized rides. I am
tentatively in charge of getting the bikes.

So my question is, which percentage of the fleet should each size be?
The bikes I'm looking at come in 2cm increments (c-c): 60, 58, 56, 54,
52, 50, 48. For various reasons we are not going with S, M, L compact
style frames.

So for a fleet of 50 bikes, how many of each size?? What is the bike
size curve for the population of road riders?

1. Main question is how many of the potential riders will be women? A
correct answer to this would kind of answer the sizing question all by
itself. For normal road riding, its about 4-5 men per 1 woman. For
spinning people, it may be a higher percentage of women riders. Thus
necessitating far more small bikes.

2. For men only, I'd make a bell curve with the 54 or 56 in the
center. And then I'd probably skew the bell curve towards the smaller
sizes.

3. Are these going to be road bikes with drop handlebars? Or upright
hybrid bikes with flat handlebars? If hybrid, it probably does not
make much difference what sizes you get since you pretty much sit bolt
upright on any size hybrid.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:37 PM

[...]

Good point about the male-female ratio. I guess I should get curves for
each, then mix based on more info from the guy. Ideally I'd get
measurmens on all the members of the club, but that isn't an option.

These are road bikes with drops, and part of the reason for not going
to S, M, L bikes is to be able to really dial in the fit. The idea is
to make some road riders out of these folks, and getting them proper
fit is essential to giving them the full experience. It also has to do
with the deal with the supplier, of course.

Joseph

Old November 3rd 05, 04:34 PM
Bob Wheeler

wrote:

[...]

The statistics on leg length give a mean of 96cm for a male 20yr or
older. The SD is about 4.5cm. This isn't stand over height but the sum
of knee height and upper leg length. If you scale this to an average
male frame of 57cm, then the SD becomes about 1.7cm.

These measurements follow a normal distribution, so for men you will
need about 12% 60cm, 38% 58cm, 38% 56cm, 10% 54cm, and 2% 52cm.
Assuming an average of 53cm for women, you will need about 2% 58cm, 10%
56cm, 38% 54cm, 38% 52cm, 10% 51cm and 2% 50cm.

Assuming half men and half women renters, you will need
3 60cm,
10 58cm,
12 56cm,
12 54cm,
10 52cm
3 50cm or 2 50cm and 1 48cm

The problem, of course, is what is the ratio of men to women. Guess
wrong and you will have mud on your face.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. --- Randomness comes in bunches.
Old November 3rd 05, 05:19 PM

wrote:

[...]

Sounds good to me, but what stand-over do you suppose this 96cm
corresponds to? If I knew that I could apply our standard sizing
formula. How did you arrive at 57cm?

This is quite interesting. Where did you get the statistical info on
leg length? I have been curious for a while about this topic. In
figuring out things about my seating position, I have come across
statements like "If you have long thighs, you should do foo, otherwise
do bar." How do I know if I have long thighs? Sounds like your source
may be the answer!

Joseph

Old November 3rd 05, 06:03 PM

You need to consider how the frame is measured. For example, Trek sizing
is around 3cm bigger than LeMond sizing.
Old November 3rd 05, 10:59 PM
Bob Wheeler

wrote:

[...]

I got it from
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/...20Measures.htm

Old November 4th 05, 08:37 AM

Emily wrote:
wrote:

Good point about the male-female ratio. I guess I should get curves for
each, then mix based on more info from the guy. Ideally I'd get
measurmens on all the members of the club, but that isn't an option.

These are road bikes with drops, and part of the reason for not going
to S, M, L bikes is to be able to really dial in the fit. The idea is
to make some road riders out of these folks, and getting them proper
fit is essential to giving them the full experience. It also has to do
with the deal with the supplier, of course.

Joseph

Just make sure not to skimp *too* much on the 48cm size (only one in
that size, as someone suggested, is not going to be enough, methinks).
I'm a petite woman and would need that size *or smaller*, and I have
lots of female roadie friends who also take the smallest size "stock"
bike (or custom). Most women 5'3" or under are going to need the 48 cm,
unless they have long arms and torso for a woman. My road bike is
actually a 46 cm WSD (Womens-Specific Design) frame with 650 wheels, and
I'm 5'2", which isn't *that* tiny. There are women in my bike club even
shorter than me, who ride 43-44 cm WSD bikes! We tend to be the
forgotten ones....

Emily

I have thought about that. Whatever ends up being the end result, I
will probably favor the small end. I myself would use a 58 or 60, but I
can always use a frame that is too small in a pinch. Not as easy for
someone to use a frame that is too big!

My guess is that this group of folks will have a higher percentage of
women than an average group of road riders, so special attention is
going to be paid to this.

Joseph