Well 2021

Old January 1st 21, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Well 2021

On 1/1/2021 4:48 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-8, Bertrand wrote:
I'm trying to work up the courage to go out in the cold and put in a 20 miler or more.

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good.

A friend in the Bay Area once posted a ride on Strava with "bitter cold" in the
title. I checked and it was 50F = 10 C. And I remember in Southern California
starting a ride on a sunny morning at around 60F = 15C, and warming up quickly,
and seeing local riders in tights and jackets. I guess it depends on what
you're used to.

Yes, and for Tom, today in Oakland it was low 46F and high 56F -- unbelievably cold. Brrrrr. It's like Minnesota.

I was sweating in my rain gear here in Portland at 48-52F. Sore knees, hung over and COVID fat, I did maybe 40 miles out along the Clackamas River and back home. It was wet and dreary but unseasonably warm, and it didn't start raining in earnest until I was maybe five miles from home, which at least justified being all dressed up for rain. This morning, I was comfortable in a sweatshirt out in the front yard taking down Christmas lights. I hate it when the holidays are over.

-- Jay Beattie.

Then again we get an extra minute or so of daylight every
day now!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 2nd 21, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 2 januari 2021 om 00:55:43 UTC+1 schreef AMuzi:
[...]

Right, something I'm always looking forward to every year. I hate the dark days in December and the dreary weather we have here during that time.

Lou
Old January 3rd 21, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-8, Bertrand wrote:
I'm trying to work up the courage to go out in the cold and put in a 20 miler or more.

According to my weather app it is 11-13 C in SF and dry. Come on Tom go out. I rode 90 km in 2C today and it felt good.

A friend in the Bay Area once posted a ride on Strava with "bitter cold" in the
title. I checked and it was 50F = 10 C. And I remember in Southern California
starting a ride on a sunny morning at around 60F = 15C, and warming up quickly,
and seeing local riders in tights and jackets. I guess it depends on what
you're used to.

I did 25 miles and 1900 feet of climbing on my heaviest bike. The plastic Garmin mount broke off and I had to stop and go back to retrieve the Garmin which luckily had bounced into the gutter since the last time the mount broke an approaching car attempted to run over the Garmin. My moving average speed was the same as the last time I was out on the Colnago which is 6 lbs lighter. I arrive home when it was rather warm for the amount of exercise I was performing so both the heavy jersey and wind jacket were soaking wet with sweat. But is was humid and the next day it rained about four times as much as predicted. So I started the year with a hard enough ride to be able to say I went out on a ride.
Old January 3rd 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 3 januari 2021 om 18:16:03 UTC+1 schreef :
[...]

Good. Did a quarter turn mount broke off or a mount for the edge 705 you have. The latter are a real crap design mount. Never had a problem with the quarter turn mount although I exclusively use the K-edge ones.

Lou
Old January 3rd 21, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

[...]

Did 81 km and 65 m of climbing (Strava corrected values) Haha..., 3 highway overpasses ;-). Average temperature 2 C. Was a good work out.

Lou
Old January 3rd 21, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 9:31:45 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I've been using almost exclusively the 810 with the quarter turn mount. Trouble was that I have several integrated bar/stem setups and they mount under the bar with two screws. The initial mount was a plastic bar with the plastic mount on the end of it. The mount broke apart of the first use. Do I purchased an aluminum mount that was independent and put it on the bar. This worked until the 1st at this time the rough roads here broke it apart. Since I've put the Emonda up for sale, I removed a top-of-bar steering head mount and will fit it to the Lemond. I suspect I will eventually return to steel bikes since the Colnago simply makes me a bit nervous about it's reliability. I will keep the Look KG585 unless I start doubting that. The Look is overwhelmingly the lightest bike I have but it rides almost like a steel bike.