Special for the elderlky

Old January 30th 21, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Special for the elderlky

A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 30th 21, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:33:10 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,

John B.

Sure shows how much changed in our lifetime.

Cheers
Old January 30th 21, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 30 januari 2021 om 16:26:53 UTC+1 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:33:10 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,

John B.

Sure shows how much changed in our lifetime.

Cheers

Yes, we are getting old. If I explain to my younger colleagues that I made my first designs using this
https://images.app.goo.gl/dWnmbuwoPbPcgACK6
they shake their heads in unbelief. This is how my desk looks now:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iHDmh2vsVpbgEyEx6.

Lou
Old January 30th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 8:53:45 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op zaterdag 30 januari 2021 om 16:26:53 UTC+1 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:33:10 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,

John B.

Sure shows how much changed in our lifetime.

Cheers

Yes, we are getting old. If I explain to my younger colleagues that I made my first designs using this
https://images.app.goo.gl/dWnmbuwoPbPcgACK6
they shake their heads in unbelief. This is how my desk looks now:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iHDmh2vsVpbgEyEx6.

And after the zombie apocalypse when there is no power, and everyone is running around with a cross-bow, the world will be beating a path to your door.

Sort of O.T., but we need way more people in the trades, and there is a ton of money to be made. I saw something on TV last night about plumbers in SF making $200K. I just rebuilt the backflow valve on my hydronic system and probably saved $400. Thank you YouTube, although I encountered a nightmare scenario not covered in the video. Glad I had my dental tools -- little mirror and hooked dental pick. You can (almost) never have too many tools.. As I was picking valve parts out of the body, Jeff's "learn by destroying" kept running through my head, knowing that if I destroyed anything, I'd be screwed until some exotic spare parts got delivered. DYI plumbing/electrical can be stressful and a FU very consequential, unlike fixing a bike -- EXCEPT for cutting steerers maybe. I can't think of anything really stressful about bike repair -- it's frustrating trying to kludge bearing cartridges into hubs with little ho-made presses, etc., but most things are plug and play, and if you do something not just right, the consequences are low.. It's not like the thing is going to catch fire and burn your house down -- or leak and ruin a wood floor.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 30th 21, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 30 januari 2021 om 19:02:59 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

Working on bicycles is simple and not stressful at all. After a month gathering courage I replaced the battery of my Iphone SE (1st gen.). I had the tools needed and it still took 1 stressful hour. I had to wrestle the old battery out because one of the double sided tapes broke. The battery is just like a power bar and after I had wrestled it out it was bend considerable. I told one of my electronic colleagues about it and he told me I was lucky the battery could have caught fire. Phewwww...let me work on my bikes. I can't understand Apple how they can produce the phone in such quantities.

Lou
Old January 30th 21, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 08:53:43 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op zaterdag 30 januari 2021 om 16:26:53 UTC+1 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:33:10 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,
John B.

Sigh. I recognize almost all the things in the slide show. That
really makes me feel ancient. Different time, different places,
different tools, but same problems. It does help to know how to get
there, if you know where you've been.

Sure shows how much changed in our lifetime.

Cheers

Yes, we are getting old. If I explain to my younger colleagues that I made my first designs using this
https://images.app.goo.gl/dWnmbuwoPbPcgACK6

Need some accessories?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-01.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-02.jpg
I still have T-square, triangles, templates, lettering guides, India
Ink, vellum, slide rules, books, printed catalogs, etc.

they shake their heads in unbelief. This is how my desk looks now:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iHDmh2vsVpbgEyEx6.

Since I'm now working from home, I have a "distributed desk" which is
any horizontal flat surface that is not covered with junk.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/chainsaw/chain-saw-repair.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 31st 21, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Op zaterdag 30 januari 2021 om 16:26:53 UTC+1 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:33:10 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A friend sent me the following. Which may be a bit nostalgic for the,
err ... adults here :-)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...XTAajEzY?rel=0
--
Cheers,
John B.

Sigh. I recognize almost all the things in the slide show. That
really makes me feel ancient. Different time, different places,
different tools, but same problems. It does help to know how to get
there, if you know where you've been.

Sure shows how much changed in our lifetime.

Cheers

Yes, we are getting old. If I explain to my younger colleagues that I made my first designs using this
https://images.app.goo.gl/dWnmbuwoPbPcgACK6

Hah - you were lucky! I was SO happy when one of these
https://rogueengineer.com/wp-content...ting-Table.jpg
with the sliding horizontal bar allowed me to ditch my T-square.

Need some accessories?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-01.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-02.jpg
I still have T-square, triangles, templates, lettering guides, India
Ink, vellum, slide rules, books, printed catalogs, etc.

Yep. Most of those are in the drawer at my lower left, along with the
drafting tools themselves.

I once had serious skills in manual drafting. Sadly, they're not worth
as much now.

I remember the time a salesman/consultant came to our department to
demonstrate a brand new thing called AutoCAD.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 31st 21, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:26:42 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Hah - you were lucky! I was SO happy when one of these
https://rogueengineer.com/wp-content...ting-Table.jpg
with the sliding horizontal bar allowed me to ditch my T-square.

Yech. I hated those. Every time I changed tables, I have re-align
the ruler(?) or I would end up drawing trapezoids. Even if I would
get it square, the cables would move around creating additional
alignment challenges. I much preferred a drafting machine such as:
https://www.google.com/search?q=drafting+machine&tbm=isch
but those weren't always available. So, I used a T-square something
better than this:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/T-Square.jpg
There's a story behind this T-square. According to the history:
http://microscopist.net/PikeB.html
they were at 518 Broadway between 1855 and 1875.

Need some accessories?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-01.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/templates-02.jpg
I still have T-square, triangles, templates, lettering guides, India
Ink, vellum, slide rules, books, printed catalogs, etc.

Yep. Most of those are in the drawer at my lower left, along with the
drafting tools themselves.

I was getting some work making PCB changes to old Brady tape on mylar
2x and 4x layouts up until about 2002. I took a few photos of how it
worked for sci.electronics.design, and then tossed most everything
except the templates:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/PCB-Layout/

I once had serious skills in manual drafting. Sadly, they're not worth
as much now.

My skills weren't very good or very serious, but were sufficient up to
about 2000. After that, everything had moved to computahs.

I remember the time a salesman/consultant came to our department to
demonstrate a brand new thing called AutoCAD.

I suffered through multiple versions of Acad from 2.13 (1985) to R13
(1994). It was becoming too expensive for what I needed so I switched
to Autosketch. That was fine until Autodesk ruined it with version
2.1 which changed literally everything. These days, I use KiCad for
PCB work and various shareware EDA (electronic design automation)
programs.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 31st 21, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/30/2021 9:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:26:42 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I remember the time a salesman/consultant came to our department to
demonstrate a brand new thing called AutoCAD.

I suffered through multiple versions of Acad from 2.13 (1985) to R13
(1994). It was becoming too expensive for what I needed so I switched
to Autosketch. That was fine until Autodesk ruined it with version
2.1 which changed literally everything. These days, I use KiCad for
PCB work and various shareware EDA (electronic design automation)
programs.

"Changed everything" is my main gripe about software in general. AutoCAD
usually made its interface sort of backward compatible - as in, the
commands or menu items you were used to were still there somewhere - but
the guy in our department who taught that stuff spent a lot of time with
each version learning what was new. And yes, it's very expensive. As I
recall, they wouldn't even let you skip a version update. If you said
"I'll use ACAD 8 for several years before jumping to #11," they charged
you for 11 an amount equal to all the updates.

I don't need it any more. The last several things I've designed - just
home projects for myself and others - I've used Sketchup. It's powerful
enough for me, and I find it fun.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 31st 21, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 23:09:25 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't need it any more. The last several things I've designed - just
home projects for myself and others - I've used Sketchup. It's powerful
enough for me, and I find it fun.

Sketchup 3D Free is now a web app. Nothing to download or install,
but with my slow DSL connection, rather painful to use. Some my
customers also have problems with their designs and product drawings
being posted to the cloud:
https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-free
To get something that runs on your computah (as well as the web app),
you need Sketchup Pro which you rent for only $300/year.
https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-pro
https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing#for-personal

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Is there a special tool for that? Benderthe.evilrobot Techniques 14 October 3rd 16 10:51 PM
*Some Special(s) kaka UK 0 December 21st 07 04:46 PM
Special Deals for you all! Bud General 0 January 1st 06 07:07 PM
special tubes? unick 8133 Unicycling 4 September 28th 05 04:31 AM
The "special sign"??? huh?? cyclocrossboy Racing 26 July 4th 05 11:11 AM