Trunk bags

Old July 8th 05, 02:52 AM
Chuck

Default Trunk bags

My old Cyclepro trunk bag is splitting at the seams. It's about 25 years
old so I figure it was a good value.

My question is: What bag out there now will last me 25 years?

This old bag is a heavy canvas like material. The ones I've seen at the
LBS (one brand I've never heard of and the other a Giant) seem like
thin, light, and cheap material. Also the zippers don't look very
durable. I know there's probably high-tech materials now, but I want
high-durable materials. I still *cram* this 25 year old bag full, and I
can't picture the bags I checked out even lasting a year like the old
one.

So I need to know what one to buy that will last me. This bag replaced
my Cannondale one that was stolen about 1981. I liked the Cannondale,
and I'm thinking about getting one of those mail order for $70.00. It
even looks similar to the 1981 bag. I'm also looking at an Avenir,
thinking that may be the same as the old Cyclepro.

Any advice or experiences with trunk bags will be appreciated.
Old July 8th 05, 03:18 AM
maxo

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:52:49 +0000, Chuck wrote:

My old Cyclepro trunk bag is splitting at the seams. It's about 25 years
old so I figure it was a good value.

My question is: What bag out there now will last me 25 years?

How about something elegant like a Berthoud or Carradice bag? Both run
around $80-100 and are a lot handsomer than the mainstream stuff, imho:

http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/rackbag.html

http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/supercrackbag.html
Old July 8th 05, 08:25 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

At Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:52:49 GMT, message
R%kze.33823$mr4.20744@trnddc05 was posted by Chuck
, including some, all or none of the
following:

My old Cyclepro trunk bag is splitting at the seams. It's about 25 years
old so I figure it was a good value.
My question is: What bag out there now will last me 25 years?

For a trunk bag, I'd go for the Ortlieb Bike Box. It's completely
waterproof, and I used one every day for commuting for years without
noticeable deterioration (now I have a Brompton which comes with its
own luggage).

The Ortlieb has a nifty quick-release fastening system as well.

Alternatively, for that retro look, the Carradice longflap cotton duck
saddlebag :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 8th 05, 03:57 PM

maxo wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:52:49 +0000, Chuck wrote:

My old Cyclepro trunk bag is splitting at the seams. It's about 25 years
old so I figure it was a good value.

My question is: What bag out there now will last me 25 years?

How about something elegant like a Berthoud or Carradice bag? Both run
around $80-100 and are a lot handsomer than the mainstream stuff, imho:

http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/rackbag.html

http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/supercrackbag.html

I have a Carradice Super C saddlebag, which is rather similar to the
above mentioned Super C Rack Bag. I have only been using it for about
6 months, but I will be surprised if I don't get many years of hard
service out of it - it is very well made and sturdy.

Mark Muller

Old July 26th 05, 07:54 PM
SMS

Chuck wrote:

So I need to know what one to buy that will last me. This bag replaced
my Cannondale one that was stolen about 1981. I liked the Cannondale,
and I'm thinking about getting one of those mail order for $70.00. It
even looks similar to the 1981 bag. I'm also looking at an Avenir,
thinking that may be the same as the old Cyclepro.

Any advice or experiences with trunk bags will be appreciated.

One thing to look for is a bag that attaches with buckles and cinching
straps, not hook and loop fasteners. I.e. the Lone Peak RP-700. The hook
and loop fasteners wear out after a few years, and are a pain to try to
replace.

See "http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3648-11"
Old July 26th 05, 08:09 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:54:59 GMT, the person
known to the court as SMS made a statement
in Your Honour's bundle) to
the following effect:

Any advice or experiences with trunk bags will be appreciated.

One thing to look for is a bag that attaches with buckles and cinching
straps, not hook and loop fasteners.

And another is one which has a quick-release fastening system
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ortlieb.asp - this is better IMO for
commuting use (which is what I use it for). Plus the loops on the
back are mounted through to a semi-rigid liner, so you can hang as
heavy a light on the back of it as you want (I have a RealLITE hung on
mine!).

Old July 26th 05, 09:34 PM
Skyhooks

Chuck wrote:

[...]

I've had great experience with this Cannondale trunk
http://www.cannondale.com/clothing/04/ww/model-BRT332.html. I bought
mine from a LBS, and I couldn't be more happy.

I've had this trunk for about four or five years now, and it's still
going strong. I rarely zip down the panniers, but I like having the
extra room if I need it. I do pack the trunk rather tightly as it is,
so I definitely have put the zippers through their paces, which seem to
have held up strongly so far. Even though the description of the trunk
says the material is "Dobby nylon," the material on the outside of my
trunk resembles heavy canvas, while the pannier extensions are more what
I'd consider nylon (think good quality wind-breaker material). I rarely
ride without this trunk.

Skyhooks
h m a r d i s "aht" u i u c "daught" e d u

P.S. Perhaps someone who repairs shoes can fix your old Cyclepro
trunk? Or someone who reupholsters??? Or a tent/canvas/sail shop???
Old July 27th 05, 10:46 AM
Chuck

On 2005-07-26, Skyhooks wrote:
Chuck wrote:

[...]

I just had the thing sown up. Now the main zipper teeth are about shot.

I've still been looking. So it's I'm leaning toward the Topeak MTX DX.
It's about the only one I've seen a clear picture and looks like the
sort of material I'm looking for. Anyone have any comments on the bag?