Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 14th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default as long as Americans live by SOCIAL DARWINISM

On Apr 14, 6:09 pm, "V-for-Vendicar"
wrote:
http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/

$2500 About 50 MPG, (20 km/L) Meets Euro4 emission standards.

"ComandanteBanana" wrote
Really nice little car. That's all we need. People in America though
prefer a large car to boost their ego --and to survive in a jungle
where "the big fish eats the little fish"...

Say So Long to the AmeriKKKant Automotive Industry.

"ComandanteBanana" wrote

Yeah, but by keeping the small, smart competition out of the market,
the dinosaurs will cling to life. It's a very old story...

How long do you anticipate that AmeriKKKans will continue to spend $28,000
more on a car than they need to?

I think that as long as Americans live by SOCIAL DARWINISM, it will
only be the biggest, most expensive vehicles that can signal their
place among the most successful predators. In other words, everybody
wants to be a lion in this jungle.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Old April 14th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race!

On Apr 13, 5:28*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jens Müller wrote:
Tom Sherman schrieb:
Its a political decision. * You only have to have Congress members
get stuck in the cold and dark with no transportation to change the
laws.

Congress can change the laws of nature? Wow!

So Tom has no clue about Congress responding when problem personally
affect them. * Obviously Tom is totally out of touch with reality

Congress does not have the power to overcome reality. Duh!

Congress has any power necessary and proper for carrying into Execution
the other powers of government. Overcoming reality might become
necessary, but is probably not proper ...

And who said people from a certain European country were incapable of
comedy?

Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can
overcome any problem through technological development. That is foolish
hubris, since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be
amusing to observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological
limits of what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

The stupid monkeys spend a fortune on stealing resources from other
monkeys (WAR), not on saving the precious resources...

stupid monkeys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

armed monkeys

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia...ed_monkeys.jpg
Old April 14th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Apr 13, 6:22*pm, "Jack May" wrote:

Lack of mobility with transit is an extremely high cost to the economy as is
really apparent in third world economies. *The cost of transit is also
extremely high to Governments which leads to major problems funding other
parts of Government.

So what's the solution, get rid of public transportation?

I also tell you though that many buses run at capacity at peak times.
Have you ever been on one?

Old April 14th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 13, 6:35 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Jens Müller wrote:
Tom Sherman schrieb:

Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can overcome
any problem through technological development. That is foolish hubris,
since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be amusing to
observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological limits of
what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended period.

Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems. Since
problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time, there is a
very good chance we can continue to solve problems.

Again you are just ****ed because nobody probably considers you part of the
solution and will pay you for solutions.

Only cooperative monkeys are successful. Selfish monkeys are a big
disaster.

'If we ... ask Natu "who are the fittest: those who are continually
at war with each other, or those who support one another?" we at once
see that those animals which acquire habits of mutual aid are
undoubtedly the fittest. They have more chances to survive, and they
attain, in their respective classes, the highest development of
intelligence and bodily organization.' -Peter Kropotkin

http://www.marxists.org/subject/scie.../kropotkin.htm
Old April 15th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"Valued Corporate #120,345 Employee (B A R R Y)"
wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:17 -0700, "Jack May"

wrote:

Sheesh! What is important is the total expenditure on transportation,
not merely what a regional government agency spends.
Governments have a budget they must live with. The question is do they
spend their limited fund wisely or foolishly. Transit is typically very
foolish spending by Governments.
When the costs of private vehicle operation are considered, transit
spending is a drop in the bucket.
99% of transportation in the US is with cars and other road vehicles.
Less than 1% is transit. The questions are cost per person and the
economic consequences of the mode transportation. Total cost does not
affect people. They are only affected by their cost. Just doing a
total is not rational.

Depending on an unsustainable system is not rational.

Oh exactly what is going to keep recyclable alternative fuels from being
sustainable. Do you really think that companies are just going to sit on
their hands and do nothing to supply the needs of people. You are
obviously talking nonsense.

If you believe that renewable fuels can keep up with uncontrolled
population growth, I want some of what you are smoking.

By the way the cost per individual for transit is very high and a large
percentage of their total transportation cost.

Citation?

At least 15% of Federal gas taxes go to transit and some people put it much
higher than that.

Citation?

Who are "some people"?

Can we count all the money spent on the US military in foreign oil
producing regions towards the cost of transportation?

The cost in time for congestion caused by diverting money to transit
averages over $400 per year per person for the time lost in traffic jams.
It is much higher than $400 per year for high income Silicon Valley type
workers

Citation?

Since 67% to 77% of transportation dollars go to fund transit (depends on
the year), that is a high cost to all of tax payer that will never ever use
transit.

Citation?

The we also pay high taxes for the unemployed and for welfare because of the
much greater difficulty of transit users to find a job as has been
documented by University research

Citation?

Then there is the high cost of sickness caused by exponential pollution
increased cause by congestion which again is direct result of spending most
of the transportation dollars on transit instead of the much more efficient
roads. The green house gases go up 45% from cars in transit induced
congestion.

Citation?

So transit is not a drop in the bucket, but a substantial cost to
individuals.

Citation?

Old April 15th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:22 pm, "Jack May" wrote:

Lack of mobility with transit is an extremely high cost to the economy as is
really apparent in third world economies. The cost of transit is also
extremely high to Governments which leads to major problems funding other
parts of Government.

So what's the solution, get rid of public transportation?

I also tell you though that many buses run at capacity at peak times.
Have you ever been on one?

Mr. May stooping to ride a bus with the great unwashed?

Old April 15th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

dgk wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:17 -0700, "Jack May"
wrote:

Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
The
result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
increased pollution and green house gases.
That's so stupid, my head exploded.

The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5% of
the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems, then
you are worthless as a person.

And that's why SF is in the running for Congestion Pricing, to force
folks off of their cars and into more efficient transportation.
Unfortunately, here in NYC, mass transit is so overutilized that we
can't squeeze more drivers into the trains.

Not that I believe your numbers of course.

A superior human being prefers to ride a bicycle.

Old April 15th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 12, 12:48 am, "Jack May" wrote:
No, you were implying that transit spending is much higher than that of
individualized private motorized transport, which is silly when total
expenditures are compared.
As I said above total cost has no affect on people. Individual cost is
what is important.

Total cost has no effect? Does that money fall out of the sky as a gift
from heaven?

How does total cost affect an individual? If it does not paid by the
individual out of their pocket, their taxes (yes out of pocket), or their
lost time, how does it affect them.

Of course the total cost is paid either directly or in taxes [1]. Duh!

[1] Except for the very rich who write the tax laws with loopholes so
they pay much less than their fair share relative to what society
contributes to their personal wealth.

Old April 15th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jens Müller wrote:
Tom Sherman schrieb:
Pat and Jack May obviously have the belief that bipedal apes can
overcome any problem through technological development. That is foolish
hubris, since these bipedal apes are not all powerful. It will be
amusing to observe the reaction of the bipedal apes when the ecological
limits of what the Earth can support are exceeded for an extended
period.
Well we bipedal apes have a long track record of solving problems.
Since problem solving with technology grows exponentially over time,
there is a very good chance we can continue to solve problems.

More foolish hubris. Pride goes before the fall.

Again you are just ****ed because nobody probably considers you part of
the solution and will pay you for solutions.

Another stupid assumption. However, I know I am not a parasite on others,
unlike so many of the "successful".

More of you being ****ed off at not being able to be successful in life.

How would Mr. May know? Omniscience? Sheesh!

I have a middle class income, which I more than earn, rather than
leaching off the labor of others.

Old April 15th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
dgk

wrote:

Public transit maximizes global warming by spending most of the
transportation dollars to transport an insignificant number of people.
The
result is increased congestion caused by transit resulting in greatly
increased pollution and green house gases.
That's so stupid, my head exploded.
The SF Bay area spends two thirds of its transportation funds to carry 5% of
the travel. If you can't understand how that causes major problems, then
you are worthless as a person.

And that's why SF is in the running for Congestion Pricing, to force
folks off of their cars and into more efficient transportation.
Unfortunately, here in NYC, mass transit is so overutilized that we
can't squeeze more drivers into the trains.

Not that I believe your numbers of course.

A superior human being prefers to ride a bicycle.

Naturally, but sometimes those trains are very convenient. If the
choice is driving or biking, I bike. But when I can sit on a train and
read, that is also nice. The jury may be out on whether to listen to
the radio while biking, but I think we all agree that reading while
biking is a no no.

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana Social Issues 272 April 17th 08 06:22 PM
Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 06:02 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM