Once more with feeling

Old August 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Default Once more with feeling

I hate computers on bikes. If I look at speed, I keep pushing myself
harder and harder because I don't want to see it drop. On the other
hand, if I look at my heart rate, I keep needing to throttle back
because I know I can't maintain 180+. I haven't tried mounting both
computers. The dashboard numbers would probably drive me insane.

So next training ride perhaps I'll do without those devilish machines
again and have a nice and pleasant workout going by 'good sensations' only!

The thing is, training is going reasonably well and I bought a new HRM
to replace the old one that died 10 years ago. Today I first used it; I
was planning a ride not too intensive and punched in 176 as the high end
warning limit, remembering from my early rowing career when I was 19-22
that my AT is about 174. Good thing that I also turned off the audible
warning signal, because in 1h20 of riding I spent almost half that time
above the limit. On long stretches when all felt fine and I pushed it a
bit, the monitor easily crept up to 180. Average HR was 174, would you
believe it. The pace was pretty steady, I never went all out (max HR
187) and I think I could have maintained the same level for the next 20
minutes that I now used to spin home.

Am I right in thinking that my AT has not changed considerably in 16
years, despite long stretches of inactivity? Was that to be expected?

Alternatively, I could of course search teh pubmed.
Old August 20th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message

Am I right in thinking that my AT has not changed considerably in 16
years, despite long stretches of inactivity? Was that to be expected?

Here's the problem - your max heart rate should have gone down along the
lines of 1 beat per year after 25 or so. That is didn't suggests that you
haven't been keeping up your condition probably for long periods of time at
a stretch.

Mind you, this isn't any big deal and as long as you're healthy you need
only ride regularly to get it back and as your heart enlarges to fulfill the
need the max and rest heart rates will drop.

Old August 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ted van de Weteringe writes:

Alternatively, I could of course search teh pubmed.

I have noticed somewhat sililar effects Ted.

So what I do now is use the HRM with no odometer/speedometer on the rollers
and use the speedometer/oidometer on the road and tend to watch average speed
rather than current ot maximum speed on thr road.

Every rider tries of course to optimize his/her training time and this seeme
tp work for me, particularly ae I set myself goals for each session.y
--
Davey Crockett

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVY-LDL7A3M
Old August 21st 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Aug 20, 6:17 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
I hate computers on bikes. If I look at speed, I keep pushing myself

harder and harder because I don't want to see it drop.

dumbass,

what about in cars ? i was fiddling with the computer in a rental car
once and somehow inadvertently set the speedometer to read mph instead
of kph.

so i was driving down the street thinking i was doing 58 or 59 kph,
and thinking "man, it feels like i'm flying".
Old August 21st 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote:
Am I right in thinking that my AT has not changed considerably in 16
years, despite long stretches of inactivity? Was that to be expected?

Here's the problem - your max heart rate should have gone down along the
lines of 1 beat per year after 25 or so. That is didn't suggests that
you haven't been keeping up your condition probably for long periods of
time at a stretch.

You're saying *lack* of training keeps maxHR from dropping? I thought
that -1/yr was the trend for the general population while athletes had a
slower drop-off. Also(?), I haven't been a couch potato for the whole 16
years! Largest period of inactivity was from Sep'05 to Feb'08.

Mind you, this isn't any big deal and as long as you're healthy you need
only ride regularly to get it back and as your heart enlarges to fulfill
the need the max and rest heart rates will drop.

My historic lowest resting HR was 42, IIRC; this afternoon on the couch
it was 45. Pretty good sign, I guess. MaxHR is still about halfway into
the 190s, is another guess. Used to be 205 or so.

Hey, where'd Joseph go with his FM training stories?
Old August 21st 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Aug 20, 5:39*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

My historic lowest resting HR was 42, IIRC; this afternoon on the couch
it was 45. Pretty good sign, I guess. MaxHR is still about halfway into
the 190s, is another guess. Used to be 205 or so.

I totally misread this earlier sentence: "I never went all out (max HR
187)." I read it as your max HR is 187 and you didn't go to it.

You also wrote "when I was 19-22 that my AT is about 174." That sure
does seem fractionally low for having had a max HR of "205 or so." Or
it seems so judging from my own strange world. I used to have a max
of 187-ish but could peg 180-ish for "extended" times (when I was
younger and not a lame rbr poster).

Hey, where'd Joseph go with his FM training stories?

Dunno. I wondered the same thing. Maybe the best thing for training
is no rbr. Yeah, I think so. That should be our first newbie
training advice: get-the-f out of rbr.

Taking off the computer will save you ~1.5 oz. You'll really rip up
those climbs.

My opinion is that "98%" of conditioning comes from hard training
without anything fancy -- no gadgets of any kind. My best fitness
came from riding with better people. However, I could see some
correlation between "not feeling good" or "having a bad day" and what
I saw on a HRM. Computers are toys -- fun and fine -- but they don't
do much for conditioning.

Old August 21st 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

[...]

I think it's tachycardia and you're going to die someday. That's not
just my opinion, either. My dog is a registered chiropractor, and when I
described your condition to her, she said it sounded "ruff."

Listen to the dog,

Old August 21st 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote:
Am I right in thinking that my AT has not changed considerably in 16
years, despite long stretches of inactivity? Was that to be expected?

Here's the problem - your max heart rate should have gone down along the
lines of 1 beat per year after 25 or so. That is didn't suggests that you
haven't been keeping up your condition probably for long periods of time
at a stretch.

You're saying *lack* of training keeps maxHR from dropping?

Well sort of. You see if you're out of shape your heart has to run faster to
deliver enough oxygen. So although your heart is beating faster you're also
a lot further up your exersion scale.

Largest period of inactivity was from Sep'05 to Feb'08.

I'm hoping you mean '07 and not '05 which would be some 2 1/2 years of
inactivity. How many kilometers per year were you putting in?

My historic lowest resting HR was 42, IIRC; this afternoon on the couch it
was 45. Pretty good sign, I guess. MaxHR is still about halfway into the
190s, is another guess. Used to be 205 or so.

This sounds like you're in good shape and just one of those people with a
higher friction veinous system.

Here's something to look at - after you've been at your AT for an extended
period of time - 5 minutes or so - check your heart rate. Slow down to a
crawl and wait 2 minutes and check it again.

Old August 21st 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Amit Ghosh wrote:
what about in cars ? i was fiddling with the computer in a rental car once
and somehow inadvertently set the speedometer to read mph instead of kph.

so i was driving down the street thinking i was doing 58 or 59 kph, and
thinking "man, it feels like i'm flying".

Did the cop buy the excuse ?

Old August 21st 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
My opinion is that "98%" of conditioning comes from hard training without
anything fancy -- no gadgets of any kind. My best fitness came from
riding with better people. However, I could see some correlation between
"not feeling good" or "having a bad day" and what I saw on a HRM.
Computers are toys -- fun and fine -- but they don't do much for
conditioning.

My best training seems to be coming from long just-under threshold power
intervals.

Feeling a bit of a tit Ekul Namsob UK 8 April 15th 07 09:06 AM
I Love This Feeling Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 14 August 28th 06 03:56 PM
feeling guilty recycled-one General 32 April 18th 06 01:19 PM
I have a feeling... Stewart Fleming Racing 16 July 16th 05 04:12 PM
Feeling better now nobody760 UK 27 February 27th 04 12:58 PM