Best, brightest tail light regardless of cost

Old August 7th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

Default Best, brightest tail light regardless of cost

I have been using the rechargeable 2 watt Cygolite Hot Shot tail light which I've always considered terrific. I had a daylight accident today and am interested in finding out if there is anything brighter, perhaps with an external battery. I am concerned mostly for visibility in daylight.

Thanks in advance... Bob
Old August 7th 14, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

SEARCH into military...law enforcement...TACTICAL....emergency services......Opticsplanet

sources for LED vehicle lighting carry battery powered equipment.
Old August 7th 14, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

SEARCH into military...law enforcement...TACTICAL....emergency services......Opticsplanet
sources for LED vehicle lighting carry battery powered equipment.

buy reflective fabrics...some at Seattle Fabrics...for a DIY vest.

vest plus several mini blinkies are effective IDing your passage as a moving object not a porch light

Old August 7th 14, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Bob Newman" wrote in message
I have been using the rechargeable 2 watt Cygolite Hot Shot tail light
which I've always considered terrific. I had a daylight accident today
and am interested in finding out if there is anything brighter, perhaps
with an external battery. I am concerned mostly for visibility in
daylight.

No doubt if you've got deep enough pockets someone somewhere will offer to
sell you a back light as bright as you want.

Alternatively; there are some pretty good blogs online by people who made
their own. Some have excellent sets of photos, assembly and wiring up
instructions.

A 3W or 5W Cree red LED is actually painful to look at - if you don't fancy
building a PCB, some of the blogs list off the shelf current-limit modules
for driving the LED - wiring those up is usually simpler than coming up with
a finished enclosure for it.

Old August 8th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Ian Field wrote:

:"Bob Newman" wrote in message
[...]

Optics matter. A bare led tends to be pretty directional, and you
want to put the light where it will do you good. If someone didn't
see a hotshot, assuming the batteries were good, they weren't going
to see you, period.

--
sig 20
Old August 8th 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:07:20 AM UTC+1, Bob Newman wrote:
I have been using the rechargeable 2 watt Cygolite Hot Shot tail light which I've always considered terrific. I had a daylight accident today and am interested in finding out if there is anything brighter, perhaps with an external battery. I am concerned mostly for visibility in daylight.

Thanks in advance... Bob

It's the optics that make Busch & Muller's Toplight Line such a terrific all round rear lamp. Just today a pedal pal mentioned from how far behind it is visible. In bright sunlight too. It's the line the optics form that makes it work, no hotspot. Check it out.

Manufacturer's page at
http://www.bumm.de/produkte/akku-rue...ight-line.html
Mine photographed in the dark and under street lamps and in daylight; scroll down for the photos:
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html

In the US distributed by Peter White.

Andre Jute
Old August 8th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a finished enclosure for it.

http://goo.gl/pOZOGB

check out Walmart's flour dipper

Old August 8th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/6/2014 7:07 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
I have been using the rechargeable 2 watt Cygolite Hot Shot tail light which I've always considered terrific. I had a daylight accident today and am interested in finding out if there is anything brighter, perhaps with an external battery. I am concerned mostly for visibility in daylight.

Thanks in advance... Bob

For daytime use buy one of these:
http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Super-Road-Flare-with-Red-LEDs-Single.html.

You'll need to figure out how to mount it.

USB rechargeable.

Old August 9th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:02:17 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Gee whiz! I'm kind of a rookie and I was hoping someone would say "your light is very good but I've been using a XXX model made by YYY company and I think it's a lot better".

Thanks... Bob
Old August 9th 14, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, August 8, 2014 10:07:00 PM UTC-4, Bob Newman wrote:

Gee whiz! I'm kind of a rookie and I was hoping someone would say "your light is very good but I've been using a XXX model made by YYY company and I think it's a lot better".

Your light is very good, but I've been using a prominent lane position, and I
think it's a lot better. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski